You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

What is it about either of them in the games you've seen them play that has stopped the likes of Utd, us, Juventus, Barcelona. Real Madrid, PSG and others from signing them while mid tier teams like Wolves and West Ham do, given they are so right do you reckon?

Do midtable clubs ever preemptively sign top players, or do they always just sign players who will never play at a high level?

44 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Do midtable clubs ever preemptively sign top players, or do they always just sign players who will never play at a high level?

Do you think there's a reason why top clubs let some players make the intermediary move first?

3 hours ago, an tha said:

It is fair enough being sustainable, lowering debt, being run properly, being profitable - not over paying for players etc etc etc...

But sometimes circumstances happen and emergencies occur and you have to get the credit card out and pay it off later....

We have been in a great position to dominate alongside the oil cheats but seem quite happy to let the opportunity pass us by and the team (well certainly the midfield) stagnate.

No one (except Twitter Africans) expects us to spend £200m net every year - most sensible, reasonable people would just like us to spend like a top 3 club and one of the highest revenue generating teams in the world look to improve constantly....

We now have the second oldest team in the league and the bench options are mostly injury prone or unproven kids. 

We have very few players in that peak/prime 24-27 age group....Diaz, Trent, Jota, Tsimikas and if you count Keita that is about it.....Not one of those (i am not counting Keita with his 42 league games worth of minutes in 4 seasons) is a midfielder....

I've said it since these cunts have come in. Like any business, you make long term plans and along the way they get disrupted for whatever reason. If you're running your business well, you're in a position to react and make tactical changes to ensure success. You most certainly don't go "fuck that all we have is a long term plan, we're not moving from it".

But I go back to the same boring thing I've been saying for a decade, the situations that force you into tactical decisions vary depending on your target. If your target is winning the league, then obviously we need tactical recruitment now. If it's top 4, why would you spend a penny? If my objective was achieve top 4, I'd sit tight. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

We're basically writing off the prime years of some of our squad because FSG won't spend any fucking cash the tight bastards.

Plus the last years of Klopp too.

We are crying out for a senior midfielder to come in! This is almost as bad as when we refused to sign a centre back when he had literally zero available two years ago!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Wirtz is never happening, we missed our chance. For the bunch of smart guys we purport to be we never actually buy any major talents before they become unattainable. 

We should have signed Wirtz when Chelsea signed Havertz. 

He plays for Leverkusen, so I'd say there's a chance. But if Bayern are sniffing around him... maybe not I guess.

4 hours ago, Strontium said:

When Lucas Paqueta and Matheus Nunes are going for chump change, the myth of the "right player" not being available has been well and truly busted, and anyone pushing it should be swatted in the face with a housebrick.

£45m isn't chump change. There's maybe two or three teams in the world outside of our league who could drop that on a player.

I thought we should have moved on Nunes this summer myself and at £45m I think he'll be a good signing for Wolves, but it's not insignificant, that fee.

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

We won't be 16th for long. Beat Bournemouth at the weekend, get a couple of players back fit, even if one of them is Keita, and we'll look loads better.

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

That's fine, but we're going to be in a battle for top 4, at best anyway.

We will absolutely be in the running for top 4. We managed it with our worst home run of all time and no centre back for most of the seasons. That's how good we and klopp are. 

But it feels fanciful we can win the league at this point. Even though we're only 5 points behind with 35 to go, with the injuries we have now and likely to continue to happen, it will be tough to put together a run like we did from Leicester till the end of the season. 

• Upvote 1