You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Energy Prices

Captain Howdy

Been trying to find a quick answer to this question, to no avail.  It's probably really obvious.

If I am on a decent fix now until late next spring, would it be a good idea to increase my direct debit and build up some credit while I am on the better rate?  It seems obvious that it would be a good idea, i.e. effectively "buy" credit at the lower rate to use against a future higher rate?

21 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

If that's the case I'm bankrupt! Unless you're earning in excess of £50k per annum, nobody can afford that just for energy, especially if its more than 2-3 people in your household. There's 5 in ours, we've no chance!

I can safely say we're fucked.

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

It said on ITV news that we could be paying £500 per month for energy early next year.

Frightening thought for most, me included.

Martin Lewis' suggestion that there could be civil unrest on the streets if prices actually got that high could very well come to fruition if they did.

51 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

If this carries on I may have to consider branching out into the male gigolo industry. 

January 2023 Yorkshire Post Headline:

"Liverpool way forumite freezes to death due to fuel poverty!

New business venture in sex industry failed to take off!"

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Moo said:

Been trying to find a quick answer to this question, to no avail.  It's probably really obvious.

If I am on a decent fix now until late next spring, would it be a good idea to increase my direct debit and build up some credit while I am on the better rate?  It seems obvious that it would be a good idea, i.e. effectively "buy" credit at the lower rate to use against a future higher rate?

I dont think that would work like that. I have just gone through similar - my fixed rate with EON finished last week - I was paying £160pm. My last bill shown that I was £290 in credit but that credit will now just be spent at the newer increased rate.

I took my bill from June (£95) and played with some figures in Excel with the figures from the bill against the new rates and saw an increase of £60 to £155. Did similar with last January's to get a feel for what the winter may look like and the bill was £184 but under new tariff would have been £355. 
I have now increased by monthly dd to £250 and hoping that the increase and the credit balance should keep me on track (before the fuckers increase it again)

On a slightly separate note. My son moved into his first house 3 weeks ago. I made him take photos of the meters etc and he has tried to get in touch with the existing providers (EDF) to set up an account with them and give them the readings etc. They have said they cant open another account on the property as there is already an active account under the previous owner (which has an outstanding balance) and they can't do anything til that has been settled. 

I've advised him to start putting whatever he has budgeted for away as he will have to pay it at some point and raise a formal complaint, but does anyone have any idea how he can get this sorted??

27 minutes ago, GR10 LFC said:

On a slightly separate note. My son moved into his first house 3 weeks ago. I made him take photos of the meters etc and he has tried to get in touch with the existing providers (EDF) to set up an account with them and give them the readings etc. They have said they cant open another account on the property as there is already an active account under the previous owner (which has an outstanding balance) and they can't do anything til that has been settled. 

I've advised him to start putting whatever he has budgeted for away as he will have to pay it at some point and raise a formal complaint, but does anyone have any idea how he can get this sorted??

Maybe get a new provider?

I moved into an EDF supplied house in August 2020 and got Scottish Gas to supply. It took about a month to sort everything out but EDF were pretty easy to work with I found.

51 minutes ago, GR10 LFC said:

EDF, Im not surprised. They've told him a load of bollocks as if this was the case, anyone moving into a new home couldnt open an account if the previous owner hadnt told them they'd left.

In any event, if your son was prevented by EDF for paying any bill for 12 months, they cannot pursue him for that usage more than 12 months ago so, it's in their interest to start billing him!

For starters, Id suggest your son phones EDF again and tell them he's the new owner of the property and wants to set up an account from that date with the read evidence he has. Id also suggest he reminds them they cannot bill him for his usage over 12 months old if they continue to block him setting up his own account for longer than that.

He should also ask for a contact address so he can send a follow up letter via RM signed for delivery in case he gets no joy on the phone.

If EDF are being this stupid, it isnt beyond the possibility he gets debt collectors at his door trying to get money from the previous owner. of course he isnt liable for that but it's a distraction he doesnt need.

If EDF think the previous owner's account is still open, they'll block any attempt to switch to a new one. He needs to get this resolved with EDF first.

Thanks both - hadnt considered trying another provider - seems an easy suggestion! Interesting about the 12 months but I would hope he had it sorted by then - I had also suggested to put a formal complaint in writing, always think they get dealt with better for some reason.

51 minutes ago, GR10 LFC said:

Thanks both - hadnt considered trying another provider - seems an easy suggestion! Interesting about the 12 months but I would hope he had it sorted by then - I had also suggested to put a formal complaint in writing, always think they get dealt with better for some reason.

He’s just spoken to the wrong person on the phone.  Get him to tell them it’s a change of tenancy and not a change of name on the account. Offer to provide proof of the CoT and it will get sorted very easily. Something like photo of the tenancy agreement or mortgage deed would be fine.  

Some people seem to think there’s a massive conspiracy at play when all it is is a bored as fuck call centre kid making a mistake.  

Once this is sorted it might be an idea to change supplier but whilst EDFE think someone owes them money they are able to object to the CoS depending on the size of the debt. 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

He’s just spoken to the wrong person on the phone.  Get him to tell them it’s a change of tenancy and not a change of name on the account. Offer to provide proof of the CoT and it will get sorted very easily. Something like photo of the tenancy agreement or mortgage deed would be fine.  

Some people seem to think there’s a massive conspiracy at play when all it is is a bored as fuck call centre kid making a mistake.  

Once this is sorted it might be an idea to change supplier but whilst EDFE think someone owes them money they are able to object to the CoS depending on the size of the debt. 

Yeah, I asked was it someone offshore to which the answer was yes and suggested he might want to insist to speak to a manager and get it escalated to an onshore team

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Warm banks. That's some dystopian shit right there.

Just because councils are having to set up places where people can go and keep warm,doesn't necessarily mean more people are struggling. 

Labour never did this.