You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest 00's Film - Group G

Bjornebye

Greatest 00's Film - Group G  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Pick Your Favourite Two

• Requiem For A Dream
    • The Incredibles
    • Elite Squad
    • Oldboy
    • Napoleon Dynamite
    • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    • Lost In Translation

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/06/21 at 09:39

Only seen four of these. Lost in Translation was a snooze button of a film. I enjoyed Napoleon Dynamite, but The Incredibles pips it. Eternal Sunshine is the best of the ones I've seen: brilliantly original and it's got Jim Carrey acting like Billy Bob Thornton  (which makes a nice change from his exhausting Jim Carrey schtick).

Not much to choose from for me, Lost in Translation and Avatar.

Never saw Napoleon, Spotless Mind and Elite, the animated feature was OK but I don't remember anything, Requiem is everything I hate in an indy film and Oldboy was the moment of my recent private Korean film retrospective when I finally gave up trying to understand the fuss.

6 minutes ago, Mook said:

You certainly know how to party.

I have recently collected some 40 or 50 '70s films I either have not seen or heard of before and watched them all over five or six weeks, back to back, in a chronological order. Such great fun.

It was gangster movies before that and war films festival is currently being curated. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I have recently collected some 40 or 50 '70s films I either have not seen or heard of before and watched them all over five or six weeks, back to back, in a chronological order. Such great fun.

It was gangster movies before that and war films festival is currently being curated. 

A full list of the 70s films, please.

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

How do you fit in time for wanking?

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

A full list of the 70s films, please.

I will write a 900 words review of each one.

Since you asked, there were not too many uncovered gems, a lot of forgotten 70s films are horrible and no better than the bottom half today. The Heist (Millions) with Warren Beatty was a pleasantly engaging surprise, so was Fat City, I enjoyed Fiddler On the Roof more than I should I guess, Andromeda Strain was good, Oklahoma Crude too, Prime Cut a bit silly but with some great scenes. The Bronson flicks are better than I remember them, surprisingly (Mr Majestyc, The Mechanic, Death Wish) and Hard Times (Streetfighter) is still excellent. Earthquake was supposed to be shit but was a perfectly fine Charlton Heston disaster movie (unlike Omega Man which has aged terribly) I could definitely recommend The Outfit with Robert Duvall, Norma Rae was good, Shampoo too, The Last Tycoon, Great Getsby, both  better than their general rating. Emperor of The North Pole and a host of other well known films, Hair, Being There, Lenny, Harry and Tonto, Obsession (good atmosphere over the top script).

When you put on French Connection, Deliverance or Dog Day Afternoon, they are really way, way above average.

Do you want the disappointments too?

28 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

How do you fit in time for wanking?

?

Don't tell me you need to separate wanking and watching?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Since you asked, there were not too many uncovered gems, a lot of forgotten 70s films are horrible and no better than the bottom half today. The Heist (Millions) with Warren Beatty was a pleasantly engaging surprise, so was Fat City, I enjoyed Fiddler On the Roof more than I should I guess, Andromeda Strain was good, Oklahoma Crude too, Prime Cut a bit silly but with some great scenes. The Bronson flicks are better than I remember them, surprisingly (Mr Majestyc, The Mechanic, Death Wish) and Hard Times (Streetfighter) is still excellent. Earthquake was supposed to be shit but was a perfectly fine Charlton Heston disaster movie (unlike Omega Man which has aged terribly) I could definitely recommend The Outfit with Robert Duvall, Norma Rae was good, Shampoo too, The Last Tycoon, Great Getsby, both  better than their general rating. Emperor of The North Pole and a host of other well known films, Hair, Being There, Lenny, Harry and Tonto, Obsession (good atmosphere over the top script).

When you put on French Connection, Deliverance or Dog Day Afternoon, they are really way, way above average.

?

Don't tell me you need to separate wanking and watching?

Where did you watch The Outfit (which platform)? That sounds right up my street.

31 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Yes please. I love whiling away an evening, spending time that I’ll never get back, watching turd. I watched Pretty Woman for the first time last night.

31 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Yes please. I love whiling away an evening, spending time that I’ll never get back, watching turd.

I'll tell you anyway, ha ha.

You might have a different opinion of some of them already, or enjoy them more than I did, and many have some redeeming features, you unexpectedly get to see Richard Gere as a pimp in tedious Operation Undercover or De Niro as a detective number 2 in terribly miscast and unconvincing Born To Win. Truck Turner (Isaac Hayes vehicle) seems a highly rated blaxploitation flick, it has one of the best opening scenes of the decade which tells you all you need to know by simply showing (in a manner of Rear Window) but the rest is gash.

Cult films like Gone in 60 Seconds were mostly disappointing, that was really nothing more than a collection of poorly done car chases. Two-Lane Blacktop was OK, a nice road movie, but on the strength of its reputation,  I expected Dostoevsky. I would actually still recommend  that one.

Ciao Manhattan was the most bizarre of them all and A New Leaf with Walter Mathau the biggest turd, when you factor in production and reputation, closely followed by The Organization with Sidney Poitier. Buddy police flicks were mostly letdowns, which I must say I didn't expect.

Forgot to mention The Yakuza with Mitchum, that one was probably the winner  of the not-quite-considered-classics lot, with Clint's The Eiger Sanction the opposite, leading the steaming pile of excrement festival's selection. 

• Upvote 1