You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Americanisms

On 19/06/2021 at 13:34, sir roger said:

Got talking to a Texan guy in a beach bar in Bora Bora and he was basically just trekking around the world as cheaply as possible. I asked him what his girlfriend thought of him pissing off ( she was very attractive in photos ) and he offered ' I don't give a sheeee-it ' the last word taking about ten seconds on its own. It was brilliant.

Isn't Bora Bora incredibly expensive? 

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

Isn't Bora Bora incredibly expensive? 

Only there for the day , Rem , so never got an overall view but the bars didn't seem out of line with the likes of Barbados and a bit cheaper than Aruba ( 12 dollars for a pint of Heineken ).  The texan guy said accommodation was ridiculously expensive at the top end and he was in a tiny studio apartment with no air con. He also said he called it Boring Boring and unless you just wanted to honeymoon shag for a week in paradise there was nothing else bar water sports.

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

Only there for the day , Rem , so never got an overall view but the bars didn't seem out of line with the likes of Barbados and a bit cheaper than Aruba ( 12 dollars for a pint of Heineken ).  The texan guy said accommodation was ridiculously expensive at the top end and he was in a tiny studio apartment with no air con. He also said he called it Boring Boring and unless you just wanted to honeymoon shag for a week in paradise there was nothing else bar water sports.

What I should have said was getting there is extremely expensive. My wife mentioned it so I looked into going and was looking at 5 grand just to get there. 

15 minutes ago, Special K said:

My eldest has just started seeing a girl. However, they aren't 'going out' with each other, they are 'dating'. Apparently they aren't the same

Bloody youngsters

From about the age of 15, every time I saw my Nan, she would ask “Are you courting yet?”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

From about the age of 15, every time I saw my Nan, she would ask “Are you courting yet?”

Same, Mams side of the family are Irish Catholic, that’s all I’d get at any family gathering. 

Apart from my Great Uncle Mick, he’d always say “Ignore all that guff, spread your seed in as many fields as you can and come back in a few years to see which is the best crop”. 

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

And if you had been courting for more than a week the question became "are you going to give us a do?"

“We got this” is my latest blood boiler. Every fucking marketing cunt in this country seems to have stuck it in their adverts recently. And I don’t watch adverts so that shows how fucking ubiquitous that shit must be. Can’t begin to describe how much I despise hearing it in a shitty bland south east accent. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Paul said:

“We got this” is my latest blood boiler. Every fucking marketing cunt in this country seems to have stuck it in their adverts recently. And I don’t watch adverts so that shows how fucking ubiquitous that shit must be. Can’t begin to describe how much I despise hearing it in a shitty bland south east accent. 

Yeah that one really has permeated into everyday British language, as has the execrable 'I/We got your back'? 

• Upvote 1