You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Curtis Jones

liverpoolsno9

4 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

It was barely possible to watch any of it, let alone like anyone from the tournament! 

Don't understand it, a summer of no football on the telly and only the final was broadcast at the last minute.  

I watched all the England games and others no problem? The lad who missed the pen is 24 in January and has started for Spain’s full side by the way.

29 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Let's put it this way, he has more chance of having a good season for us than any of the other U21s we appeared to be queuing up for before the tournament. If we'd have signed any of them, they'd have been behind Jones in terms of development and premier league readiness. 

That's mostly why those targets didn't make much sense. Thankfully, we got two players who have way more pedigree and experience.

22 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

It was barely possible to watch any of it, let alone like anyone from the tournament! 

Don't understand it, a summer of no football on the telly and only the final was broadcast at the last minute.  

The whole tournament,every game was on UEFA own website

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Let's put it this way, he has more chance of having a good season for us than any of the other U21s we appeared to be queuing up for before the tournament. If we'd have signed any of them, they'd have been behind Jones in terms of development and premier league readiness. 

I wonder if Mac Allister and Szoboszlai were our main targets all along and we just threw out a lot of these names as a way to make it look like we had plenty of alternatives? 

23 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The summer isn't over yet. 

I don't know what this means in this context? I don't care if the 3rd midfielder is a kid, but there's no way they should have been our first targets, and thankfully, they weren't.

1 hour ago, Megadrive Man said:

I wonder if Mac Allister and Szoboszlai were our main targets all along and we just threw out a lot of these names as a way to make it look like we had plenty of alternatives? 

Clearly Mac Allister was. Personally I think our target was mount. We hung on and when it was clear he wasn't choosing us and the mancs were getting their deal in place, we quickly went for our number 2 choice who we knew had the release clause. 

The others were I reckon some type of noise (Inc gravenberch) but likely still on our list. Newcastle may well have blown us out of the water with Szoboszlai money wise. I dunno how well know his clause was either - surely if Newcastle had known about that they'd have triggered it while we weren't moving. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't know what this means in this context? I don't care if the 3rd midfielder is a kid, but there's no way they should have been our first targets, and thankfully, they weren't.

You didn't say you don't care about their age. You said they didn't make much sense. They don't make a great deal of sense now either, yet we're still linked with thuram daily. 

56 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

You didn't say you don't care about their age. You said they didn't make much sense. They don't make a great deal of sense now either, yet we're still linked with thuram daily. 

You're right, they don't, but if we are actually in the mood to sign a project like Thuram, for whatever reason, it's better if he's the third one in.

7 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

You're right, they don't, but if we are actually in the mood to sign a project like Thuram, for whatever reason, it's better if he's the third one in.

Agreed it's better if he's the third one. But can't quite work out which position he becomes the project for to work out if he'd get minutes. 

50 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Agreed it's better if he's the third one. But can't quite work out which position he becomes the project for to work out if he'd get minutes. 

I doubt we will sign Thuram. I think we have decided he is not for us .

No idea of the source for this as it was a message from my arsenal supporting mate who said we might consider letting Jones go if we can get Lavia. That would seem very short sighted as I think he’s a very decent squad player with plenty of room to improve as he matures. Hopefully just bullshit.

3 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

No idea of the source for this as it was a message from my arsenal supporting mate who said we might consider letting Jones go if we can get Lavia. That would seem very short sighted as I think he’s a very decent squad player with plenty of room to improve as he matures. Hopefully just bullshit.

It also makes no sense as they play different roles. Jones is the obvious back up/rotation to Mac Callister. Lavia the long term replacement for Fabinho

Also we need all the HG lads 

31 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

I believe your mate, he’d know.

• Haha 2

I would also say, its interesting that he had this great tournament and he played as a holding midfielder in a 4-4-2. I think his position is still in question. He scored a few in the end last season playing more advanced in the box midfield, but he looked responsible and disciplined playing deeper with England there. 

I still hint towards him not being very creative, and not enough for him to play further forward, but we will see. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I would also say, its interesting that he had this great tournament and he played as a holding midfielder in a 4-4-2. I think his position is still in question. He scored a few in the end last season playing more advanced in the box midfield, but he looked responsible and disciplined playing deeper with England there. 

I still hint towards him not being very creative, and not enough for him to play further forward, but we will see. 

You need runners into the box as well as creators.

• 2 months later...

Klopp has done a good job making him into a professional midfielder. The percentage of players who can actually be given big creative and attacking licence isn't high.

He was never likely to be that sort of player. He is good as a stabilizing force, with his frame, athleticism and ability to keep the ball. And he can still break forward and find himself in the penalty area in the right times because we are an attacking team.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Must say, I didn't even notice some of this on Sunday. Brilliant, mature performance and the Gini shout is right. He can do a bit of everything. 

Think he's started 14 of this 17 game unbeaten run. He's done well to adapt his game. Hopefully ge can stay fit and carry this on

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Klopp has done a good job making him into a professional midfielder. The percentage of players who can actually be given big creative and attacking licence isn't high.

He was never likely to be that sort of player. He is good as a stabilizing force, with his frame, athleticism and ability to keep the ball. And he can still break forward and find himself in the penalty area in the right times because we are an attacking team.

He’s been remoulded. Look back at his emerging performances as an attacking midfielder. He was ridiculously skilful with a tendency to showboat - rabona crosses and step-overs all over the shop. He was also tall but probably too lightweight.