You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Caoimhin Kelleher

Bjornebye

12 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Ill give ederson some credit, his distribution is second to none. Credit where it's due. 

But in terms of actually stopping shots, he's mediocre at best

That distribution is so, so crucial to how they play though, and it makes it virtually impossible to get the ball off them once they decide to keep it. They’re practically playing 11 vs 9 (as most sides don’t like to go man for man at the back), and most of their players are extremely comfortable on the ball. It’s a pretty good set-up, and unfortunately most teams are now panicking because of the grock up front, meaning their other players are having even more time and space if they decide to not attack.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

Ill give ederson some credit, his distribution is second to none. Credit where it's due. 

But in terms of actually stopping shots, he's mediocre at best

Bugbear of mine is no one ever closes the cunt down, Sadio Mane him in the neck again.

Another fantastic performance from him.

Alisson isn’t bad with the ball at feet, but Kelleher is better. Probably far better is fair to say, especially with limited time and space. 

In fact I think he was one of the reasons today we managed to play through City’s pressing and dominate the game for long spells.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Kevin D said:

Felt he was culpable for the goal, but responded really well as a real keeper should.

I think there were a number of factors contributing to the goal.  He wasn't blameless, but he has a right to expect his near post will be defended better.

His kicking under constant pressure was exceptional today. Never panicked, even with City players a yard away.

It’s a  vastly different role these day. Pepe Reina in his heyday would struggle to make the bench with a top flight club now.

20 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I think there were a number of factors contributing to the goal.  He wasn't blameless, but he has a right to expect his near post will be defended better.

Oh yes.

I’d say inconsistent officiating was most decisive, but I think his command of the box and reactions should have all been better.

I’m not too concerned, as the game wasn’t really drawn there, and the two saves in the second half were dynamic.

• Upvote 1

The thing that sticks in my head now is that it seems like he's too good to spend most of his time sat on a bench. Is he going to accept that with Ali back or start thinking of a move? I don't think I've ever been so surprised by one of our players in such a short space of time, never thought I'd hardly miss Ali not being in goal.

1 hour ago, Kevin D said:

Always raise my eyebrow when the keeper is beaten at his near post.

From corners? You expect them to prioritise the near post and be able to get across to challenge for deeper crosses as well?

No, that's for the defence to take care of, Mac was a bit passive and a few others were tricked away from the area. Kelleher still almost pulled off the save, getting a hand to it, but almost impossible for him.

Maybe we should have a player starting on the post, but that's not how we do it, city exploited it. Most wouldn't be able to.

Just now, Pidge said:

From corners? You expect them to prioritise the near post and be able to get across to challenge for deeper crosses as well?

No, that's for the defence to take care of, Mac was a bit passive and a few others were tricked away from the area. Kelleher still almost pulled off the save, getting a hand to it, but almost impossible for him.

If you look at the last 5 pages, I’m Kelleher’s biggest advocate.

I don’t think it was a hanging offence and he was great for the rest of the game, but yeah he see’s Stones, he’s a great shot stopper and it’s his near post so I think he should have saved it.

Was one of 3 people responsible for the goal, including referee decisions that puzzle me after last month.

On 10/03/2024 at 20:54, Kevin D said:

Felt he was culpable for the goal, but responded really well as a real keeper should.

In the ground I couldn't quite work out what had happened and it was our end and we had a great view! Having watched it back on TV, I'm not sure it's just the keepers fault for that. We don't defend the corner at all. Mac Allister needs.to be stronger, Nunez needs to sense more danger. Perhaps we even need to look at how we're set up in that area. Unless kelleher stands on his post (which I don't think he can), I'm not sure what else he can do, aside like Nunez, needing to be  more.alert to the danger. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...