You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Caoimhin Kelleher

Bjornebye

On 19/02/2024 at 10:09, No2 said:

I wonder if this is future for young keepers. He's at an age where before this season he's probably never faced a corner where 4 yard dogs are on his toes, in his Man City days he probably never even launched a goalkick into the opposing half. In under age football now, at the top level anyway, the ball doesn't leave the ground. CB's don't know what an aerial onslaught is, its all patterns of play and ball retention. 

He played 78 games with Bolton and Acc. Stanley on loan so that should have helped, but he just looks weak

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Code said:

He was a bit rusty in his first game back in the team, but he has been fantastic since. 

Yeah I think it's actually helped him having a run of games.

We'd be mad to sell him in the summer.

Let him go on loan for a season with a view to replacing Alisson the following season.

Happy for the lad. He often suffers from far too much nit picking and microanalysis. Almost every goal that's scored past him is put under a magnifying glass by the "Alisson would have saved that" crowd.

Of course, Alisson is the best goalie in the world but it doesn't mean he saves every effort. Kelleher has proved over time that he is a keeper good enough for Liverpool's standards. Just because Alisson exceeds such standards shouldn't automatically lead people to feel Kelleher isn't good enough. 

• Upvote 3

I was a bit worried that he'd possibly stayed as a no2 a season too long based on some displays earlier in the season, but harboured some hope that it's tough to just drop into the team when you've not played a game in weeks being the reason for his form being a bit ropey.

Really glad it's the latter - in a way, Alisson's injury has worked in his favour as he's started half a dozen games or so back to back and he looks settled and confident. That was a great display yesterday - and there was, as there have been in the games he's had since he's gone into the team, shades of Alisson in his 1v1 goalkeeping.

And I shit myself less when the ball is passed back to him.

8 minutes ago, Manny said:

I was a bit worried that he'd possibly stayed as a no2 a season too long based on some displays earlier in the season, but harboured some hope that it's tough to just drop into the team when you've not played a game in weeks being the reason for his form being a bit ropey.

Really glad it's the latter - in a way, Alisson's injury has worked in his favour as he's started half a dozen games or so back to back and he looks settled and confident. That was a great display yesterday - and there was, as there have been in the games he's had since he's gone into the team, shades of Alisson in his 1v1 goalkeeping.

And I shit myself less when the ball is passed back to him.

to be fair, I'm more worried about the ball being passed back to Alisson than I am Kelleher.  Alisson's more prone to making bad decisions with the ball at his feet.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Supremolad said:

Happy for the lad. He often suffers from far too much nit picking and microanalysis. Almost every goal that's scored past him is put under a magnifying glass by the "Alisson would have saved that" crowd.

Of course, Alisson is the best goalie in the world but it doesn't mean he saves every effort. Kelleher has proved over time that he is a keeper good enough for Liverpool's standards. Just because Alisson exceeds such standards shouldn't automatically lead people to feel Kelleher isn't good enough. 

Great post that. 

Sums it up.

Ali is world class and arguably one of the top ten goalies of all time imo. 

Qweef is a really good young keeper - bear in mind goalkeepers keep maturing. He's not Ali and most likely will never be that good. Equally, in a few years time, he could be world class. We have had lots of great midfielders since Souey went off to Italy. They weren't in his class because players that good don't come around too often. Same logic with Ali and Qweef. They were still Liverpool class whether it was Whelan, Molby or McMahon in the 80s, or Alonso, Mascherano, Gini and Fabinho and yeah Hendo, even if he wasn't in the other's class imo. Even Stevie wasn't as good as Souey, but I guess that's for another debate.

Ali fucks up often enough and he is the best keeper in the world. For me, a top goalie shows how good they are by their response. Qweef was poor for Luton's goal the other night, even if he was a tad unlucky. He played well the rest of the game and was world class yesterday. That shows he's made of the right stuff and Jurgen and our great players like Ali and Virgil are constantly bigging him up so I'm sure they aren't doing it just to be sound.

11 hours ago, Supremolad said:

The time has come to ask if Ali would have saved that Palmer effort? He probably wouldn't have in all honesty, that was a miracle moment. Actually Ali probably had God save it, as you were.

He's an excellent shot-stopper and has come on leaps and bounds on defending set pieces as well (as he's put more muscle on), his distribution is still a bit of a weak point, but he's very good with his feet under pressure as well. 

We struck gold with him, have no idea what his plans should be going forward, it's up to him. But if he does leave I'd love to see him back further down the road.