You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

China are playing us like mugs in this whole thing.

Capture.PNG

Are you of the view they were up to shenanigans? I'm still not there yet, but the utterly bizarre nature of the virus, the fact it seemed to land like atom bombs in certain places and not in others, the Hong Kong land grab and the fact it's a US election year certainly don't make for a hard fortean sell. 

Plus, they've apparently been innoculating key workers since July. 

A leading Doctor in Ireland who has been a part of the process here since day 1 has categorically ruled out the idea that the virus has weakened or is weakening. He says the considerable drop in people in ICU, hospital or dying is solely because the age bracket of people now catching it is a lot lower as the people over 65 now know how to isolate or socially distance properly.  Worryingly though he also stated that with the amount of younger people now catching it, many asymptotically, it is only a matter of time before older, more vulnerable people become infected by close contacts and the hospitals and morgues start filling again.

It's all about the vaccine it seems.  We're going to be in the shits until a proper vaccine that works can be administered.  A big ask.

5 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

A leading Doctor in Ireland who has been a part of the process here since day 1 has categorically ruled out the idea that the virus has weakened or is weakening. He says the considerable drop in people in ICU, hospital or dying is solely because the age bracket of people now catching it is a lot lower as the people over 65 now know how to isolate or socially distance properly.  Worryingly though he also stated that with the amount of younger people now catching it, many asymptotically, it is only a matter of time before older, more vulnerable people become infected by close contacts and the hospitals and morgues start filling again.

It's all about the vaccine it seems.  We're going to be in the shits until a proper vaccine that works can be administered.  A big ask.

Going by the figures that have been running since the beginning, I would hazard an estimate of 1 death per hundred cases and that appears to be pretty consistent throughout the period in the UK. 

If we keep the daily infection rate at around 1000-1500 then it should stay under control. That's a pretty important 'if' though. 

32 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Obviously. How the fuck would a virus weaken like 9 months into its existence? You don't need to be an expert to know that whole thing made no logical sense. It took the common cold hundreds of years to become a super mild illness. 

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Obviously. How the fuck would a virus weaken like 9 months into its existence? You don't need to be an expert to know that whole thing made no logical sense. It took the common cold hundreds of years to become a super mild illness. 

I know fuck all about viruses but from what I've read some viruses can mutate very quickly and some are comparatively stable

It seems Covid 19 is in the latter camp

I guess that doesn't mean it won't change and evolve as I'm sure it will... it's all guesswork even with the experts 

On 24/08/2020 at 23:52, Section_31 said:

Standard, interesting thread on it. He was symptomatic second time around which means the immune response works. It really does grind my gears the way these stories are often headlined with little or no explanation of what it means.

https://mobile.twitter.com/VirusesImmunity/status/1297890418168860674

Not so good news with this guy it seems. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Are you of the view they were up to shenanigans? I'm still not there yet, but the utterly bizarre nature of the virus, the fact it seemed to land like atom bombs in certain places and not in others, the Hong Kong land grab and the fact it's a US election year certainly don't make for a hard fortean sell. 

I don't know. Pretty sure the virus was around at least a month, maybe near two before they confirmed it. That makes it hard to believe it was contained just to the Wuhan district. That and the fact that they had so few deaths (unless they were/are fudging the figures) compared to later hotspots. They have a pretty high number of elderly as well, in many cases living literally on top of each other.

To see it ripping through India now after allegedly weakening. Makes you wonder.

We’ve shut our borders again due to 7 day rolling average for new cases hitting nearly 50 and 2 consecutive days over 100. No foreigners in and any returning Hungarians need two negative tests or 14 day quarantine. Good news is that schools can still go back next week and shops remain open

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Not so good news with this guy it seems. 

Grim but interesting. Wonder if he's had symptoms in his first bout? If not, or if they've been mild, that presumably wouldn't have brought on an immune response anyway capable of withstanding the second bout.

The fact there seems so many variants of the little fucker already really does raise some big suspicions.

15 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Grim but interesting. Wonder if he's had symptoms in his first bout? If not, or if they've been mild, that presumably wouldn't have brought on an immune response anyway capable of withstanding the second bout.

The fact there seems so many variants of the little fucker already really does raise some big suspicions.

Or the 1st test was a false positive? 

Looks like he did have symptoms if you read the paper. I’m sure they’ve investigated it properly. 

I follow a fucking load of epidemiologists on Twitter and I’m yet to see any seriously suggest the virus has mutated into something less lethal. The thread I posted the other day expressly said that they’ve looked at the strains in Europe and there’s no major change in them now than from the beginning. I see stuff all the time like someone in Singapore has said they have found a less virulent strain and then nothing comes of it, and it doesn’t say the strain is widespread in Europe anyway or even over here.

A lot of the theories on T-cells and different strains seem to come from people with no real expertise in this like Sikora, the odd virologist who doesn’t seem to have anyone else backing them up or someone, like I think Section posted a story the other day, who works in an intensive care ward in Birmingham. I’m not conclusively saying they’re wrong but they aren’t experts in the main and while it might be good to seize a bit of hope they give I’m not taking anything for granted until it’s been agreed and peer reviewed by people studying this. 

69E7BE7A-D593-43D2-81B8-FB7EB7697118.png

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I did find it slightly odd that this was going on in Wuhan recently.

• Upvote 1