You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TAX

Colonel Bumcunt

3 hours ago, SasaS said:

Personally, I think there is too much talk about raising taxes as means of redistribution of wealth or reducing inequality and too little organized institutional oversight of what you get for your taxes, as in costs, wastage etc. This is what I in general don't like about all these new deal and similar plans proposals stemming from the Pickety group ideas and such, it seems to be more important to get that money than to think about what to spend it on. In my view, you raise public spending when you need to, not just so you control most of the economy.

Didn’t Labour do this with their manifesto? They published their pledges (free broadband, etc) and how they’d finance them in the grey book e.g., increase corporate tax, etc?

4 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Didn’t Labour do this with their manifesto? They published their pledges (free broadband, etc) and how they’d finance them in the grey book e.g., increase corporate tax, etc?

Well, my feeling is that all these green new deals cropping up now start with how much money they think should be redistributed instead of calculating how much and why it should be invested in this to achieve that.

Re Labour, they budgeted (or tried to budget) their policies, but the question, for example with free broadband you mention, would be - why? Your plan is to remove a market which has to be worth over 10 billion a year (didn't research, but number of premises x average fee) by investing (optimistic estimate) 20 billion pounds over 10 years and then keep it free thus incurring further cost to be covered by taxation so vast majority of subscribers that can pay for Internet would get it for free. So, you are tempted to think, the rationale is not only to create a more modern network but also to remove (competitive, private) ISP market in favour of government provided service, thus increasing the share of government controlled part of the economy. 

Seems to me that some people think they have a 'right' to keep all their money, but that's only their view after having sucked thousands out of the system over the previous 30, 40, 50 years.

You get some smart arses saying "but I've never claims JSA", or "benefits".

Are you sure?  You sure your mum didn't claim when you were growing up?  You sure your dad didn't need JSA for a period?  You sure you weren't living in social housing?  You sure you weren't using the NHS each year?  You sure you didn't benefit from right to buy?  You sure?

I'm all up for these people opting out of tax, as long as we can send them an invoice for the past 30 years they've been taking it out of the system.  

Why is strike action from public bodies being clamped down on?  What? Can't survive for a week without your fucking bins being emptied?  Can't diagnose your stomach pain? Can't repair the dual carriageway you use?  Can't find time to teach your kids and work? 

Utter fucking idiots who shouldn't be allowed a vote.  Fuck em.  By the way, how do we pay for elections and referendums?  DING DING DING...yes, that 'fucking tax' you fucking hate so much.

There is a glaring need for this conversation to be had up and down the country, ad nauseum, and for idiots to have their crackpot ideas broken into pieces and made to cry in front of grown-ups.  We can't progress as a nation while this sort of infantile bullshit is not picked up and stamped on.

• 2 years later...

This is a long thread so I haven’t posted it all, just the initial tweet, that if you click on it you can read the whole thing.

Its the US, but the principles involved are universal. How can companies like Amazon get away with paying so little tax. It’s fucking insane to carry on like this.

On 19/12/2019 at 14:52, SasaS said:

Well, my feeling is that all these green new deals cropping up now start with how much money they think should be redistributed instead of calculating how much and why it should be invested in this to achieve that.

Re Labour, they budgeted (or tried to budget) their policies, but the question, for example with free broadband you mention, would be - why? Your plan is to remove a market which has to be worth over 10 billion a year (didn't research, but number of premises x average fee) by investing (optimistic estimate) 20 billion pounds over 10 years and then keep it free thus incurring further cost to be covered by taxation so vast majority of subscribers that can pay for Internet would get it for free. So, you are tempted to think, the rationale is not only to create a more modern network but also to remove (competitive, private) ISP market in favour of government provided service, thus increasing the share of government controlled part of the economy. 

The argument would be the same as that for any industry taken into public ownership, before you then add the benefit of providing the service for free.  Remove inefficiencies inherent in having multiple vendors serving the market.  Remove profiteering.  Then the argument for making it 'free' is that it does in fact make paying for it fairer, in that costs would be recovered through a progressive tax system.  

The government should control more of the economy - its a dereliction of duty emanating from the Thatcher years that   has normalised the 'small government' approach.  The government's primary responsibility is to serve its people, not the other way around.  Utilities and other critical services, including education, health and public transport should all be nationalised imo.  Councils should be given far more financial power - especially in areas such as being able to take loans to invest in council housing.  A better world for all.

And companies to pay their fair share of the tax burden.  Fuck Amazon et al off unless they are willing to pay proper tax on services delivered in the UK.  It would provide opportunities for entrepreneurs in this country.  Fuck off all offshore tax havens - make them illegal, any unlawful squirrelling away of taxable revenues to be punished by a jail term.  

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
19 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Need to be careful now if you're flogging off a few bits from your attic, the thieving bastards are determined to take a piece.

Airbnb, eBay, Vinted and other apps to share more information with HMRC - BBC News

I can see both sides. On the one hand if it's a regular activity not just a one off, then technically I suppose it's still a business.

On the other hand most people only do stuff like this because they're broke in the first place, the so called side hustle.

The problem is that the government have lost all moral authority on tax. A former chancellor has been fined a million quid by HMRC. They think we're genuinely stupid for paying it.

46 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Need to be careful now if you're flogging off a few bits from your attic, the thieving bastards are determined to take a piece.

Airbnb, eBay, Vinted and other apps to share more information with HMRC - BBC News

Fucking hell. Taxing people's income?  I've never heard anything so awful!

If your "few bits from your attic" are worth over £1,000, of course you should pay tax on your income.

32 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

On the other hand most people only do stuff like this because they're broke in the first place, the so called side hustle.

The main problem there is that work no longer pays enough for millions of people.  It's what happens when you keep those pesky unions in their box.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I'm not broke, not even close to it. I was just hoping to make a dent in the junk in my attic this year. Now I'm having second thoughts because I don't need the hassle.

Brother's stepson has just moved to the IoM for tax purposes. 20 years old and he's having to leave the country to get away from it all.

Excellent report by the IFS here on how more and more people are getting stung by higher rate taxes.

A deepening freeze: more adults than ever are paying higher-rate tax | Institute for Fiscal Studies (ifs.org.uk)

"...while in the 1990s essentially no nurses and just 5–6% of teachers paid higher-rate tax, income tax thresholds failing to keep up with average wages means that by 2027–28 more than one in eight nurses and one in four teachers are set to be higher-rate taxpayers."

About time we hit all those fat cat, erm, nurses and teachers, don't you think.

16 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I'm not broke, not even close to it. I was just hoping to make a dent in the junk in my attic this year. Now I'm having second thoughts because I don't need the hassle.

Brother's stepson has just moved to the IoM for tax purposes. 20 years old and he's having to leave the country to get away from it all.

If you've got more than £1,000 of junk in your attic and now you're sulking because you don't want to fill in an online form, I'll be playing the world's smallest Rembrandt violin for you.

Your brother's stepson doesn't have to move for tax purposes.  If he's that much of a greedy cunt, good riddance to him.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Makes a change from 'The Darkies' and 'Migrants.'

14 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Excellent report by the IFS here on how more and more people are getting stung by higher rate taxes.

A deepening freeze: more adults than ever are paying higher-rate tax | Institute for Fiscal Studies (ifs.org.uk)

"...while in the 1990s essentially no nurses and just 5–6% of teachers paid higher-rate tax, income tax thresholds failing to keep up with average wages means that by 2027–28 more than one in eight nurses and one in four teachers are set to be higher-rate taxpayers."

About time we hit all those fat cat, erm, nurses and teachers, don't you think.

The party that your lot put into power are greedy corrupt cunts who are opposed to progressive taxation.  This is not news.

Here's a thought. You know that family,err The Windsors,how about getting them to pay tax and seizing all their non UK earnings until they've paid it all back? They can then cough up for that farce from last year where some big nosed cunt (not me this time!) made the taxpayer cough up several hundred million to watch him dress up like a character from a Hans Christian Andersen fairytale.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Strontium said:

If he's on a whopper of a salary , it might be worth moving but otherwise definitely not . We have the pretty much the most expensive electric in Europe and eye watering gas prices . 

After he's been raped for rent  and few return ferry crossings to visit his favourite uncle , I reckon he might just regret moving over. 

Peaceful though 

Used to know a woman in winchester that would spend all her time visiting charity shops, then having the nerve to haggle the price of chairty items and then sell them at an inflated price on ebay. She would literally make about £200 a week, tax free of course.

Fuck it. I don't mind paying my fair share of tax at all. You can't have a decent, functioning society without it. I'd pay more if it meant that, in the long run, everybody benefitted from things such as free dental care, free university, a GP you can actually see etc.

27 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

Used to know a woman in winchester that would spend all her time visiting charity shops, then having the nerve to haggle the price of chairty items and then sell them at an inflated price on ebay. She would literally make about £200 a week, tax free of course.

Good for her.

I'm going to guess that most on here, if unemployed or not and made a bit like that on the side, wouldn't declare it for tax. 

We pay enough fucking tax and look what they do with it. 

If I’ve got an 80 quid shirt that I paid for and sell it on Vinted for 20 quid why the ruck should any of that 20 quid go to the government? 

Robbing bastards. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, A Red said:

Good for her.

I'm going to guess that most on here, if unemployed or not and made a bit like that on the side, wouldn't declare it for tax. 

"Good on her" for ripping off charity shops for profit!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

We pay enough fucking tax and look what they do with it. 

If I’ve got an 80 quid shirt that I paid for and sell it on Vinted for 20 quid why the ruck should any of that 20 quid go to the government? 

Robbing bastards. 

It wouldn't.

If you sell 51 shirts for £20, a percentage from the 51st would go to the Exchequer; the first 50 are tax-free.