You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TAX

Colonel Bumcunt

9 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, the main difference here/now is the previous general acceptance that chasing after people who make a few extra quid selling CDs or jumpers, partly because they're on such shit pay, is poor form, a waste of time, and deeply unpopular, is now going to change.

I genuinely can't understand anyone supporting this shit. It's clearly going to be people who haven't got a pot to piss in that get fucked by this. 

I would say given civil service cuts that its very unlikely that hmrc would have the resources to chase people.

There would be analysis on whether an investigation is proportionate in relation to potential yield.

A basic compliance officer at Hmrc makes 28k a year. So would they deem it reasonable to chase someone who makes 3k a year. The tax at basic rate on that would be 20% so a yield of £400 quid once you knock off the 1000 tax free. To simply pay a person they'd have to complete 70 of these investigations a year. And an investigation can be quite complex. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, the main difference here/now is the previous general acceptance that chasing after people who make a few extra quid selling CDs or jumpers, partly because they're on such shit pay, is poor form, a waste of time, and deeply unpopular, is now going to change.

It isn't.

Income Tax rates and thresholds are unaffected by this.

18 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I genuinely can't understand anyone supporting this shit. It's clearly going to be people who haven't got a pot to piss in that get fucked by this. 

It's not a question of "supporting" it. It's more a case of getting it into perspective.

My objection is the way that it's been framed by the media as an attack on hard-working poor people, by the bastard, bastard taxman.  It's false and it all feeds into the narrative that tax is wrong: a narrative that benefits the tax-dodging billionaires who own the media, at the expense of people who depend on the stuff that tax pays for.

6 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

I would say given civil service cuts that its very unlikely that hmrc would have the resources to chase people.

There would be analysis on whether an investigation is proportionate in relation to potential yield.

A basic compliance officer at Hmrc makes 28k a year. So would they deem it reasonable to chase someone who makes 3k a year. The tax at basic rate on that would be 20% so a yield of £400 quid once you knock off the 1000 tax free. To simply pay a person they'd have to complete 70 of these investigations a year. And an investigation can be quite complex. 

Yes, I know the reality of it will be like that. Just as it is in countries like Italy and Spain which already have this ongoing war between the public and their HMRC equivalents. But that's a risk that individuals will or won't take. It seems completely unnecessary at these levels. 

31 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, I know the reality of it will be like that. Just as it is in countries like Italy and Spain which already have this ongoing war between the public and their HMRC equivalents. But that's a risk that individuals will or won't take. It seems completely unnecessary at these levels. 

It depends what you mean by "these levels".  The majority of people flogging stuff on Vinted, for example, won't meet the threshold to have their details shared with HMRC.  I would expect that people doing, say, £1,000-£5,000 a year of business on there, would probably get away with it if they didn't declare their income (but a lot probably wouldn't take that chance).  However, these proposals make it easier to tax people making tens of thousands a year on Airbnb, for example, and that's absolutely right.

3 hours ago, Strontium said:

But they don't need to actively chase anyone now as they're getting a list of names, addresses and bank account details emailed to them! It will require virtually zero effort on their part to go after anyone.

7 hours ago, A Red said:

Its still impossible to enforce 

Make your minds up, lads.

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

No.

If you want a fair reflection of my view, read the fucking words 

You are happy for the Tories to sign up to a OECD scheme which includes enforcing taxation on poor people selling stuff on the side.

6 hours ago, Strontium said:

Worth remembering that charity shops get their stock for free, their labour for free, and don't pay tax, so their profit margins are well ahead of most businesses.

The manager will be salaried for the shop, they also have to pay a landlord and energy bills.

8 hours ago, Strontium said:

Worth remembering that charity shops get their stock for free, their labour for free, and don't pay tax, so their profit margins are well ahead of most businesses.

Yes but the people who donate their items are wanting the charities to make as much money as possible with their donated stuff. If people are knocking down generally very cheap prices for their own benefit then they are cunts. Morally of course,but not illegally. Which handily is how the Tory party works as they set the rules and then know how to circumvent them.

If there is any truth in the 'taxing of bric a brac in the attic' rumours then the Tories have obviously ran out of ways to fund their flagship 'tax cuts for billionaires policy.' Expect to see them put tax inspectors at your local tip next to itemise you dumping your old sofa.

14 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

If there is any truth in the 'taxing of bric a brac in the attic' rumours then the Tories have obviously ran out of ways to fund their flagship 'tax cuts for billionaires policy.' Expect to see them put tax inspectors at your local tip next to itemise you dumping your old sofa.

Just sounds like soundbite bollox to me and a way of getting the lower class under control with fear of further taxation and to not get caught cheating. Reality is they cant implement this without throwing a shitload of money at extra manpower for a small gain and let's be honest, there are other services that could really do with that injection of cash.

I myself rent out spaces on my driveway but i have to stay within the £1000 limit as recommended by the parking app to avoid paying tax. As soon as i get close to the limit i mark the spaces as unavailable.

Until i receive notification from the app that tax will be changing i will continue to do so and hold them culpable if i get fucked over.

• 3 months later...