You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

22 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

That works for me.

Might just be me. I got banned a while ago for saying I wish someone would set kelvin mackenzie on fire, but I'm still able to view stuff and I couldn't be arsed making a new one. Maybe I'm not able to view spaces while I'm banned. 

5 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Might just be me. I got banned a while ago for saying I wish someone would set kelvin mackenzie on fire, but I'm still able to view stuff and I couldn't be arsed making a new one. Maybe I'm not able to view spaces while I'm banned. 

Seems reasonable to me. I got banned for calling Priti Patel a cunt's cunt. Can't say anything these days. :)

7 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I don't have a twitter account and it works for me, maybe try it in an incognito tab.

Just now, Pete said:

I'm listening now on the original link posted.  Very interesting and they could find themselves in a whole world of trouble. 

The funny thing is he's getting grief on bluemoon for feeding the media and opposition fans. The Bluemoon way is to follow the script, no matter what. It's fascinating to watch, you're a rag or a dipper if you even hint at everything Manchester City not being the bestest of the best.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, No2 said:

The funny thing is he's getting grief on bluemoon for feeding the media and opposition fans. The Bluemoon way is to follow the script, no matter what. It's fascinating to watch, you're a rag or a dipper if you even hint at everything Manchester City not being the bestest of the best.

I keep getting the 'but it was our money to spend as we like' argument thrown at me.  They don't seem to understand what the actual issue is.  If they spent 30  minutes listening to that podcast they'd totally understand and be exceptionally worried.  Anyway it's all ok because the best times they've had in recent years was when they where in Division 2.  I hear this a lot too. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

I keep getting the 'but it was our money to spend as we like' argument thrown at me.  They don't seem to understand what the actual issue is.  If they spent 30  minutes listening to that podcast they'd totally understand and be exceptionally worried.  Anyway it's all ok because the best times they've had in recent years was when they where in Division 2.  I hear this a lot too. 

Their money to spend is such a dumb arguement. There's rules and you don't get to opt out of them because you don't agree with them.

3 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

I (respectfully) disagree with some of this. 

I agree with the first party that the PL couldn’t shelve it. It’s worth remembering that UEFA threw them out of European competition for 2 years. It was CAS that let them back in and changed it to a fine due to statute barred issues. They were guilty and UEFA did their job. CAS softened it.  

Yes, the brand comes first, but a brand that’s now known for being won by cheats or not a good brand. Again, they’ve been proven as cheats by UEFA once already, and now the PL have come out with the most extraordinary, unprecedented list of charges. They must be confident in what they have as either City are fucked or the Premier League are fucked. 

You understandably say you can’t see them erasing parts of their history, but what’s the alternative?  Find them guilty of even some of the charges and leave them as champions? Leave that Aguero moment as a key marketing tool while everyone that sees it shaking their heads thinking ‘but they cheated?’ They’ve said it now. Not some outside group. Not some journalist. The Premier League itself has said the most dominant club for the last 12-13 years have been cheating at an unprecedented level. The brand itself is saying the brand has been massively stained. That’s massive. There is no one to try and wheel it back. They are saying it. 

As for the final part about just charging them with minor issues, again I don’t see it. The 116 charges are broken into 5 headings. All extremely serious. For example, they just have to make one charge stick from the huge list in heading 1 and that means they lied to the Premier League and they’re fucked. Same applies to the other headings. Effectively, they can find them guilty of just 5 issues from the 116 and they are guilty on all counts. 

I get what you're saying. However, the battle with uefa was completely different. Firstly like FIFA, uefa believes it is unchallengeable (probably a little like the UAE rulers). When city made it clear they thought they could do what they want, uefa were determined to fuck them. This is public knowledge I think and came.out as part of the last case. UEFAs incompetence and arrogance allowed for the perfectly correct overturning at CAS. 

However the PL is a difference kettle of fish imo. It sees itself as an old men's club, something that the sanctity of the club comes before anything. I really don't think the league wants anyone guilty of anything. They've been bending over backwards to help Everton and nobody really even knows they exist. 

I don't believe outside of some fans of big clubs in this country anyone sees city as cheats. I think they see them as rich and something to aspire to. Outside this country, I don't think any of the PL generation of fans cares at all. They weren't found guilty, so they're not guilty. 

The PL aren't saying City are guilty in this case. They're saying they believe there's a case to answer and they're putting that case forward to the independent panel. City may just find another technicality out of it. The PL might even know there's a loophole there. And city's lawyers aren't doing their job if that's not the 1st defence they're looking at. But if city get off again, don't kid yourself the world of football will think "city are cheats". The Abu Dhabi PR machine will be in full throttle and make them to be the victims here. They have no shame, they've tried to pull the race card on klopp this season and they've pretty much got away with that. 

3 hours ago, No2 said:

Man City are one of only a couple of clubs publicly in support of the government white paper? Why do you think that is? I reckon it's because they knee this was coming and could brief the media to almost repeat word for word what you have said. Their voice adds no real weight when 17 others oppose it, its pure show.

I strongly recommend you listen to the podcast I posted yesterday,  the first 20 minutes will change your mind.

I think city publicly support the white paper because they believe they have enough government influence to benefit from any "independent" regulator. They believe an independent regulator will be more pliable than their partners in the PL. 

• Upvote 3

I know Martin Samuel has made lazy gainsaying (along with Olympian levels of eating) his trademark, but his obsession with trying to re-cast this (and Newcastle's) controversy as merely old v new wealth is downright weird. I wonder what he has to hide, he must have some interesting allegiances tucked away:

It was at this point that the City project went into overdrive. Sergio Agüero, Yaya Touré, David Silva, Roberto Mancini. The FFP drawbridge was shutting and they escalated recruitment rapidly to get inside the castle. The accusation remains that, in doing so, they were not honest.

Maybe. But, paradoxically, they kept the league honest, because standards improved and have never been higher. City have helped make the Premier League the place to be, because the best players are here, the best managers and the best football. Still, watching mediocre United teams win title after title; that would definitely have been fun too.