You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alisson Becker

aRdja

On 20/01/2020 at 12:00, sh#t waffle said:

That's one of the greatest knee slides ever. I often think that the only reason I didn't become a world famous professional footballer is because I know I couldn't do a decent knee slide. Similarly I have not taken my coaching badges because I can't whistle loud enough.

I think about this too often, but the genuine reason I couldn't be a professional wrestler is that I really don't believe I'm capable of walking that slowly, like they do on the way to the ring in the big events.

Three minutes to walk a hundred foot?

I'd do it in about ten seconds and then stand around like an awkward dickhead while my custom Motorhead song blasted out and the fans lose interest.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Street Preacher said:

I think we are living in an age in which fans find it almost impossible to recognise that players of clubs they dislike are good. I see it all the time on Twitter. Salah isnt a patch on Hazard. Van Dijk was only quality for 18 months. Strikers AND centre backs are shit these day etc. So many bad takes. 

When it comes to pundits, the media and governing bodies not recognising him, I think it may come down to our relative lack of success, certainly compared to Man City. If we had won one more title and a European Cup then I think it would open people's eyes to how good he is. 

Yeah, all valid points. It's not a view I understand myself, when someone is just brilliant, enjoy it. I hate city and their cheating, but I won't let it ruin watching the talent that de bruyne is for example. The great players are so rare, I find it impossible to understand why people don't see it - unless we are overrating our own man. I don't think that's the case, my feel is he's the world's best keeper and has been for a couple of years at least (I'm not really interested in trying to compare with Clem), but I don't watch them all, I watch Ali. 

• Upvote 1

He is absolutely superb but the comparisons with Clem are worthless. Two great keepers in vastly different eras of the game. Modern goalkeepers need to be more like outfield players and those that aren't are relegated to the lower tiers of the game. Clem's strength was his superb positioning and hence why he didnt make too many spectacular saves(he could when needed) like his rival Shilton. Alisson is the perfect modern goalkeeper,tall,athletic and with the foot skills of an outfield player. Both are brilliant,but with slightly different skillsets.

The only thing I can add as I think it's all been said is how well he fills the goal. He's not a bean pole of a 6 foot 3 keeper. He's physically a bit stockier so fills the goal.

On a one v one I'd bet the forward doesn't see a great deal of the net. 

Best in the world 

57 minutes ago, Freddo said:

The only thing I can add as I think it's all been said is how well he fills the goal. He's not a bean pole of a 6 foot 3 keeper. He's physically a bit stockier so fills the goal.

On a one v one I'd bet the forward doesn't see a great deal of the net. 

Best in the world 

He’s absolutely one of the best athletes to have ever played the position. Big but agile as a cat.

As you say some of the bean poles have been really agile, like De Gea or Courtois, and then you have the gorillas who filled the goal like Schmeichel and Oliver Kahn, who were more agile than you’d expect but they were both still a bit one directional.

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He is absolutely superb but the comparisons with Clem are worthless. Two great keepers in vastly different eras of the game. Modern goalkeepers need to be more like outfield players and those that aren't are relegated to the lower tiers of the game. Clem's strength was his superb positioning and hence why he didnt make too many spectacular saves(he could when needed) like his rival Shilton. Alisson is the perfect modern goalkeeper,tall,athletic and with the foot skills of an outfield player. Both are brilliant,but with slightly different skillsets.

Clemence was the best at catching crosses from any distance, angle or speed. Must have felt like an accurate, metronomic jab to oppo teams trying to bomb us with crosses - I think it depressed them to the point where they gave up. Must have felt like passing back to him 

Edited by Le Duan

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Code said:

It was also a signal from Klopp that we want to win this cup that he played that game at all I guess. 

2 years ago he was the fa cup keeper too wasn't he? I reckon it's just a nothing has changed situation. I think we want to win the league cup and we'll continue to play kelleher. 

49 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Thought he was class yesterday.

No big match winning save to add to the collection, but right decision every time, positioning impeccable, command of the box and secure in possession. 

He’s the best in the world and has been for about 7 years. Phenomenal keeper. The fact we don’t mention him anywhere near as much as other players says everything. 

16 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

2 years ago he was the fa cup keeper too wasn't he? I reckon it's just a nothing has changed situation. I think we want to win the league cup and we'll continue to play kelleher. 

Kelleher started the first two matches in 21/22, Alisson came in against Norwich,Nottingham, Man City and Chelsea.

Last season Alisson played both against Wolves and Brighton.

52 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Wasn't Ali injured? 

Kelleher played against Chelsea the week before the first FA Cup game against Shrewsbury, then Alisson as back after that, if he had a niggle against Wrexham I cant remember. 

• 1 month later...
Just now, Carvalho Diablo said:

Am I allowed to think the unthinkable?

How old is Ally now? Getting a few injuries and niggles, both Fab and Bobby have left, and homegrown Kelleher is playing out of his skin. A new manager in the summer...

Kelleher has been phenomenal, but he hasn’t yet had the pressure of having to regain form after a couple of bad games.

We should be looking at loaning Kelleher to a big club. 

We’re blessed to have the two of them after some of the duds we’ve had between the sticks. Even Reina was vastly, vastly overrated and never effectively won us games in the way Alisson and more recently Kelleher have. 

Also, remember all the bedwetters on here always having a go at Achterberg? Pretty quiet these days.