You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alisson Becker

aRdja

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Code said:

Emiliano Martinez just been voted best keeper in the World, Alisson not even on the shortlist.

What a joke that is. 

Like with the Ballon D'Or, they always go by who won the biggest trophy. Unlike with the Ballon D'Or, they are capable of looking beyond the El Clasico cunts every now and then.

On 25/09/2023 at 10:40, Megadrive Man said:

I can't remember if I've said this before but I think it's because Alisson makes everything look so easy and is always in the right position.  When you see keepers like Ramsdale flying across goal making spectacular saves, its often because they weren't really in the right place to start with. 

It's the same as how the best referees in football tend to be the ones that you haven't heard of because they are so consistently good.  

That was a strength of Clemence too,making it look easy. While Shilton had to pull of worldies because he'd made positioning and judgement errors Clem would just read the game and make comfortable saves because his positioning and judgement was usually exemplary. Alisson may be exactly the same,but with a superb kick and skillset on the ground too.

• Upvote 5

14 hours ago, Code said:

Emiliano Martinez just been voted best keeper in the World, Alisson not even on the shortlist.

What a joke that is. 

Martinez conceded a goal on Sunday where he missed a back pass, the ball hit the crossbar and then hit his head and went in.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Mook said:

Am I the only person who doesn't give a toss about these awards? 

Football is a team game.

They are a load of bollocks. I didn’t even know there was a best goalkeeper in the world award, and pre-internet, I wouldn’t have been able to tell you who won the Ballon d’Or.

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Am I the only person who doesn't give a toss about these awards? 

Football is a team game.

The players may do as they are all bargaining chips to add extra pounds and pence to future financial deals. Same as international caps. Although a lot of us think international football is shite it helps players add zeros to their contracts.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/alissons-ultimate-premier-league-moments-i-have-go-save

It’s a decision Alisson Becker knew would surprise people as he was making it.

The Liverpool goalkeeper recently took part in the Premier League’s Ultimates series, whittling down his most memorable individual moments in the division.

Alisson’s choices naturally included several of the stunning saves the Brazilian has produced since joining the Reds from AS Roma in 2018.

But there were also unforgettable assists for Mohamed Salah and, of course, his 95th-minute headed winner at West Bromwich Albion in May 2021.

The latter made it to the final two options reduced from eight by Alisson, alongside his Save of the Month-clinching stop from Miguel Almiron at Newcastle United in August.

And it was then that the No.1 put his roots above everything else.

“I’m a goalkeeper, I have to go with the save!” said a conflicted Alisson. “I’m sorry… I think people will be disappointed with me for not putting the goal!”

Alisson reflected further on the reaction save at St. James’ Park, which saw him leap to his left to tip Almiron’s volley from inside the box onto the crossbar and then claw the loose ball away.

“As a goalkeeper you have to go for every ball, you never just look at the ball going into the net, you have to always try,” he said.

“It’s what I did in this one, to be honest. It was a really difficult save and a nice save to look [at]. It always feels good and helped the team on that day with the three points.”

Alisson added: “I have a feeling this one will be special for us.”

The ’keeper was asked what was going through his mind as he went up into the area and scored with a header in the final moments of that game at the Hawthorns in 2021.

“Not many things,” said Alisson. “I was thinking, ‘Try to score’, be there to help. It’s a desperate moment that you just try to do everything. The header was lovely.”

2 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/alissons-ultimate-premier-league-moments-i-have-go-save

It’s a decision Alisson Becker knew would surprise people as he was making it.

The Liverpool goalkeeper recently took part in the Premier League’s Ultimates series, whittling down his most memorable individual moments in the division.

Alisson’s choices naturally included several of the stunning saves the Brazilian has produced since joining the Reds from AS Roma in 2018.

But there were also unforgettable assists for Mohamed Salah and, of course, his 95th-minute headed winner at West Bromwich Albion in May 2021.

The latter made it to the final two options reduced from eight by Alisson, alongside his Save of the Month-clinching stop from Miguel Almiron at Newcastle United in August.

And it was then that the No.1 put his roots above everything else.

“I’m a goalkeeper, I have to go with the save!” said a conflicted Alisson. “I’m sorry… I think people will be disappointed with me for not putting the goal!”

Alisson reflected further on the reaction save at St. James’ Park, which saw him leap to his left to tip Almiron’s volley from inside the box onto the crossbar and then claw the loose ball away.

“As a goalkeeper you have to go for every ball, you never just look at the ball going into the net, you have to always try,” he said.

“It’s what I did in this one, to be honest. It was a really difficult save and a nice save to look [at]. It always feels good and helped the team on that day with the three points.”

Alisson added: “I have a feeling this one will be special for us.”

The ’keeper was asked what was going through his mind as he went up into the area and scored with a header in the final moments of that game at the Hawthorns in 2021.

“Not many things,” said Alisson. “I was thinking, ‘Try to score’, be there to help. It’s a desperate moment that you just try to do everything. The header was lovely.”

Journalists always ask that stupid question -what was going through your mind?

’I hope we score from this corner’ maybe?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, etho said:

I don't just think he's the best keeper in the world now. I think there's a case he might be the best one at any time ever.

For us, or in all of football? 

Im 43, so with our keepers in my life time. He's without doubt, head and shoulders above the rest. I thought reina read excellent for a while, but alisson is on another stratosphere of consistency. 

What I think sets him apart, and I think I've said it here before, if his positioning. He rarely has to make a one handed save, because he's never out of position. I don't know whether it's just a natural thing with him, where he instinctively knows where to stand and position his body. Or perhaps he works on it... 

Either way, he's a revelation for us, and a nightmare for the opposition

• Upvote 1