You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia World Cup 18

Bjornebye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite enjoy watching England in the tournaments, but the rest of the time my primary concern is our players not getting injured.

I do find my interest levels effected by the level of media bullshit and number of bellends in the side.

At the moment, there aren't actually that many proper bellends in the side, and the media has been relatively restrained.

That restraint appears to be waning however...

Quite enjoy watching England in the tournaments, but the rest of the time my primary concern is our players not getting injured.

I do find my interest levels effected by the level of media bullshit and number of bellends in the side.

At the moment, there aren't actually that many proper bellends in the side, and the media has been relatively restrained.

That restraint appears to be waning however...

Sterling, Kane, Lingard, Young, its enough for me.

• Upvote 3

It's sad that I felt I was getting into the England thing for the first time in ages, probably because it's post Rooney and Terry, but the fans/media always spoil it for me.

Good Morning Britain had some pub on today where it was decked out in England flags, and they tore down a German flag on camera and used it as a beer cloth. Everyone in the studio thought it was hilarious.

Pure small man syndrome. Being an England fan gives you a window of what it's like to be an Evertonian, and it's not a headspace I like to stay in for too long.

I’m not patriotic at all, but in the past, I’ve been torn between wanting England to fail, because I didn’t like the manager (Hodgson) and wanting them to give a good account of themselves (Gerrard). I quite like Gareth Southgate and don’t dislike any of the current players. I couldn’t care less about the dick-head element of England’s match-going support and give even less of a shit about the idiots at home, watching from their front rooms and pubs. They have absolutely no bearing on me whatsoever. I’ll just watch the games, if I can be bothered, hope they do well, but not be at all disappointed if and when they get beat.

• Upvote 2

It's similar to when I went to watch a couple mk dons games. The standard of football and stadium were decent enough but the fans were just annoying twats with no originality whatsoever also shouting shoot when the ball is near the halfway line or close to going for a throw in. I know our fans are not always perfect (I remember some old git behind me whinging all the way through the 8-0 Champs league game against Besiktas) but there is a world of difference with even a half interested Anfield and any other footballing crowd I've been in.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I can only echo some of the sentiments that people have already expressed. I couldn't give a toss, personally, whether England win or not, but I've always enjoyed the atmosphere in pubs and the like when a tournament is on, and I like having a chat with different people about different matches and the tournament. This England team is largely inoffensive, have played some alright football, and I think Southgate is doing a good job on the sly and seems clued up, compard with in the past when their manager was either a wittering old fool (Hodgson), or a hubristic walrus (Allardyce). Plus, regardless of their nationality, I've always liked to see our player do well for their country by virtue of the fact that if it keeps them happy, I can only see that being a good thing for Liverpool.

Saying that, I sense usual off-putting elements beginning to surface. War metaphors , an inflated sense of self-worth on the world stage, the usual misplaced arrogance. I was listening to the Guardian's footy podcast this morning and that Max Rushden bloke floated that ludicrous notion of England deliberately conspiring to finish second in the group because of the perceived easier route and Barry Glendenning just remarked 'See, this is why people don't like you'; which I feel is completely true.

A mate of mine is far more interested in the national side than I am, I was asking as to why you'd deliberately kill your own momentum, but he was responding that he'd sooner England lose because, apparently, the semi finals awaits. I mean, either Colombia, Japan or Senegal could cause England problems, as could Switzerland or Sweden presuming they got that far. It's a weird superiority complex that I think is ingrained in the national psyche. People far more versed in psychology could probably convey and discuss this in much better terms, but in a footballing context, it's really strange when England have only won one knockout game in 12 years.

I look at fans of other countries with the World Cup and it looks a genuinely fun experience watching them. With England, it feels as though the feeling of self-loathing that is never too far from the surface is always waiting to be channelled through football. I think it's why for so many, football is simply a case of 'wanting it more' and 'pashun'. They're obviously important elements of the game, but I think it's quite telling how collective anger is always directed towards the privileges of the modern player as opposed to structural flaws, or whatever else.

Anyway, I feel I've gone off on something of a tangent there. In short, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of England winning the World Cup. It'd be a buzz to see Trent with a medal and Hendo would return to Melwood with a spring in his step, but at the same time, I wouldn't be arsed if they went next round. Neither scenario would really make any odds to me.

• Upvote 3

I openly admit to being a bandwagon jumper when it comes to England in the big tournaments. I will admit to jumping up and shouting ”get in you fucking wibbling meff” when Kane got the winner against Tunisia. Would I like England to win the World Cup? Yes. Will enjoy the fall-out and fucking rule brittania shit? No. Fuck no. I hate loads of things about this country. I hate Britain as an institution. I think the royal family are lizards and our politicians are crooks. If I see someone in an England shirt I instantly think “bellend” despite owning a version of the Italia 90 top.

When England play Scotland or Eire, I want England to lose with a passion. My Dad caught me crying after England lost on penalties in Euro 96. He fucking hates England and held back on telling me off because he felt sorry for me. I’ve joined in anti-England songs at Celtic games yet have World In Motion on most of my playlists. On Sunday I got myself in the mood for the game by listening to both versions of 3 lions, vindaloo and world in motion. I want England to lose tonight but only because I want them to go as far as possible. I’m excited to go to the pub for the knockout games to soak up some football atmosphere. I will no doubt hate every cunt in there and wouldn’t associate myself with such bellendry if it wasn’t that particular occasion. I wont cry if/when England get knocked out but I will be gutted. I am hugely behind the ‘We are not English We are Scouse’ movement.

When it comes to England I am a massive hypocrite and contradiction. And I don’t give a fuck.

• Upvote 3

I openly admit to being a bandwagon jumper when it comes to England in the big tournaments. I will admit to jumping up and shouting ”get in you fucking wibbling meff” when Kane got the winner against Tunisia. Would I like England to win the World Cup? Yes. Will enjoy the fall-out and fucking rule brittania shit? No. Fuck no. I hate loads of things about this country. I hate Britain as an institution. I think the royal family are lizards and our politicians are crooks. If I see someone in an England shirt I instantly think “bellend” despite owning a version of the Italia 90 top.

When England play Scotland or Eire, I want England to lose with a passion. My Dad caught me crying after England lost on penalties in Euro 96. He fucking hates England and held back on telling me off because he felt sorry for me. I’ve joined in anti-England songs at Celtic games yet have World In Motion on most of my playlists. On Sunday I got myself in the mood for the game by listening to both versions of 3 lions, vindaloo and world in motion. I want England to lose tonight but only because I want them to go as far as possible. I’m excited to go to the pub for the knockout games to soak up some football atmosphere. I will no doubt hate every cunt in there and wouldn’t associate myself with such bellendry if it wasn’t that particular occasion. I wont cry if/when England get knocked out but I will be gutted. I am hugely behind the ‘We are not English We are Scouse’ movement.

When it comes to England I am a massive hypocrite and contradiction. And I don’t give a fuck.

I spent the summer of 1990 mostly wearing these two footy shirts. They're probably still my favourite non-Liverpool ones.

2q84p5c.jpg

sq058k.jpg

• Upvote 1

I spent the summer of 1990 mostly wearing these two footy shirts. They're probably still my favourite non-Liverpool ones.

2q84p5c.jpg

sq058k.jpg

How old are you mate? I knocked round with a lad when i was about 7/8 who always wore that Celtic top. 

I always assumed you were a few years older than me like 

I just can't stick the whole package. Players I don't like, fans I don't like, media I don't like, and the fact that the FA are knobheads. But most of all it's the treatment some of our players have received - Barnes and Gerrard in particular - if the England team has failed at tournaments. Can'r be arsed with any of it. 

• Upvote 1

I just can't stick the whole package. Players I don't like, fans I don't like, media I don't like, and the fact that the FA are knobheads. But most of all it's the treatment some of our players have received - Barnes and Gerrard in particular - if the England team has failed at tournaments. Can'r be arsed with any of it.

England fans’ treatment of John Barnes was disgraceful. Love the fact he did the rap on World in Motion!

The widespread crowing about Argentina struggling and Germany going out is the kind of Brexit-mongoloid, red top-subscriber drivel I just can’t be arsed with at all.

From the meagre amounts I’ve caught though, England themselves have been alright in this tournament and, coincidentally enough, Southgate has come across as an understated, thoughtful and decent bloke. Seems more like an England rugby coach than a football one at times, and I say that as someone with no interest in the former or the army of twats always trying to unfavourably compare the two sports.

For the first time in a generation I have no desire to see them lose out of schaudenfreude towards members of the squad and/or management, with the probable exception of the chin-on-legs when push comes to shove. That just leaves the tricky issue of not instinctively thickening up at the sound of helmet jingoistic fans and media crying it in about the latest plucky, unjust defeat.

The prospect of what would inevitably be framed as “A red white and blue World Cup triumph” and Farage/good old Boris hijacking all the photo opportunities is certainly not something I can get on-board with supporting. Mission Impossible in reality, but it’s been interesting to see us finally cease being the living embodiment of “The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results” and approaching a tournament with a fresh angle and some new ideas for once.

• Upvote 2

It's sad that I felt I was getting into the England thing for the first time in ages, probably because it's post Rooney and Terry, but the fans/media always spoil it for me.

Good Morning Britain had some pub on today where it was decked out in England flags, and they tore down a German flag on camera and used it as a beer cloth. Everyone in the studio thought it was hilarious.

Pure small man syndrome. Being an England fan gives you a window of what it's like to be an Evertonian, and it's not a headspace I like to stay in for too long.

The Mirror have got form for this sort of shite themselves.

b2b6ea12a97ea0ff500e013c6a511ca6.jpg

There's a common denominator here, Piers "gigantic cunt" Morgan.

I'm English so therefore, by that chance event, I want them to win. If i was a player I would qualify for both Irelands but I would have only chosen to play for someone over England if I wasnt good enough to get in the team.

I dont really get people who act as if they're from another country just because their grandparents were born elsewhere, its a bit far removed for me. My grandmother was from Co Monaghan, my mum is from Belfast but I was born and lived most of my life in England, to be anything other than English would be plastic.

That said I dislike so much around the England team - the media, dick head fans, the managers and their treatment of players, that if they go out in the next round I wont be particularly upset about it.