You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

roma away,

kop77

Considering Roma were going to try and throw the kitchen sink at us, we managed the first half extremely well. Bar a spawny deflected goal off Milner, Roma didn't actually create any real openings in the first half. I think there was one deflected El Shaarawy shot onto a post but nothing on target to trouble Karius. At the other end, Mane opened the scoring via a quick breakaway, and Gini actually scored an away goal (!). More than that though, Firmino was holding the ball up well, bringing others into play, and playing to his own tempo. Roma didn't know how to deal with it. Salah was being elusive if not incisive, but the attacking star was Mane. Roma just never got to grips with him. He slowed the tempo like Firmino, but added several sudden bursts to get away from his markers. He should have had a penalty for a blatant shove in the box. There was way more in that than what Calvern-Lewin conned off Lovren in the derby.

2-1 up at half time, it's all about game management.

Which is where we were dreadful in the second half. Trent A-A was being targetted and exposed with little cover. Henderson and Milner as the older heads in midfield did nothing to slow Roma's tempo. As for Karius, well he saved a couple of efforts but was found wanting on 2 of the goals. His parry from an El Shaarawy effort should have been parried wide but he parried it straight to Dzeko to make it 2-2. I have no idea what he was doing for Nainggolan's first. The only positive for him about that moment was that it wasn't the shittest bit of goalkeeping by a German this week.

Roma should have had a penalty whe Trent A-A handled, then were given the softest of penalties right at the end when the official behind the goal said Klavan handled the ball. It wasn't, just like the one by Nainggolan at the other end wasn't. The officials on this side saw fit to give that but didn't see the shove on Mane earlier.

I think Robertson should have hit the deck when Manolas bundled into him late on down by the touchline. Robertson had shoved Cengiz Under aside when tussling for a ball by the corner flag, and was booked for his troubles. With Manolas' actions, making a meal of it would have seen the Greek defender sent off and checked some of Roma's momentum as they reorganised.

Klopp waited too long to make changes. Firmino looked leggy in the second half so I would have changed him first, bringing on either Ings or Solanke. The other necessary change was Clyne for Trent A-A. Both changes would have relieved some of the pressure at both ends. Changing the central defensive shape by bringing Klavan on left our midfield over-worked and with no way to find an outlet upfield.

We are into the final but game management is the one thing that we really need to work on.

• Upvote 1

I actually thought that Roma had given up at times but we kept letting them back into it with mistakes / bad luck. 

Surprised ( not really ) at the stick Lovren is taking, thought him & VvD were pretty good and must have cleared twenty crosses between them (If there was any blame for the Milner oggy it was TAA daydreaming at the back post ) . Thought we were very naive the way we let them constantly stroll down the wings and belt crosses over without making any tactical changes.

Don't really care though , we're in the final baby.

Lovren is many peoples whipping boy. I thought he was unlucky to have 2 fouls given against him then the bent ref booked him for the 2nd foul. Thought van Dijks wider distribution was not as good as it can be. Trent had a bit of a mare tonight and his missed clearance on that ball when he had ages lead to Romas 2nd goal. But what the heck we are in the final. No thanks to a bent twat of a ref.

• Upvote 1

Don't want us to go full Mourinho like , but can't believe some of the naive things we do , amazed Mane didn't take longer and get the physio on when that arsehole two-footed him, when Roma were starting to build up pressure.

For good or for bad, Jurgen really doesn’t seem to encourage anything like that.

• Upvote 1

Klopp waited too long to make changes. .

I agree with everything you said, especially this.

It's always been the case since he came to us, possibly before but I wasn't paying attention so I don't know.

But it's definitely my biggest of very few criticisms of the man.

For good or for bad, Jurgen really doesn’t seem to encourage anything like that.

I get that , but it's hardly cheating when a guy throws in a shocker like that is it ?

Don't want to be overly-cynical but being excessively Simon Pure is silly , nobody else does it.

I think we were a bit hindered there, tonight, by our inability to make any real changes to the midfield. The bench was pretty much attack and defence and nothing in between. Can, Lallana and AOC being out is starting to have quite a detrimental effect on us now.

Good point. Our style, which makes us probably the best attacking team in the world at times, is also extremely demanding. And we more often than not struggle to maintain the intensity for a full 90.

With the current state of the squad, this is an even bigger issue.

I know, I love him for it because I hate anti football tactics.

But when we're winning and we need to see out the last 15 minutes of a semi final he should give the players licence to roll about feigning injury a bit.

Good grief, these highlights are like watching a car crash! We're very underwhelming.

And it was a penalty!

And Clive Tyldesley is a humungous cockwomble!

I get the impression that you'd be delighted if we were relegated.

I really can't remember a single positive post you've made about us.

• Upvote 1

I get that , but it's hardly cheating when a guy throws in a shocker like that is it ?

Don't want to be overly-cynical but being excessively Simon Pure is silly , nobody else does it.

Not disagreeing with you at all, I just don’t think it’s something we’ll see anytime soon.