You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How much sleep do you get/need?

I'm sure I said something in response to Stig on another thread recently but I used to be a bad sleeper but now I'm pretty good and its down to changing habits and creating a routine. I was a poor sleeper as a kid and I didn't, and still don't really, like sleeping anywhere but my own bed. My Mum always said part of the problem was that I "thought too much" as a kid and as an adult I understand what she means. I can lay in bed processing the day, trying to think about every permutation of every possible decision I might need to make. I worry about death, money (even though we're pretty comfortable), whether I like my job, am I seeing enough of my friends, etc.

10 years ago I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis which meant frequently being up in the night to go to the toilet as well as causing fatigue and having to cope with the side effects (including insomnia) of heavy courses of steroids for about two years. There came a point where I was just exhausted and my doctor said I needed to sleep better to aid my recovery. So I read about it and went to a seminar and whilst I'm not a perfect sleeper, I'm much better and generally feel I get enough sleep; some tips that work for me:

- I cut down my coffee consumption, I love a good coffee but was drinking 7+ cups of instant stuff a day at work. So I bought an Aeropress and now make 2/3 good cups of coffee a day instead, the last one at about 3pm, absolutely no coffee after 6pm. 

- I altered my diet, I stopped eating meat during the week, barely consume any red meat at all and consume loads of fruit and veg. This is so much better for my digestive system and through reading about UC, I've come across a few bits of research that suggest a healthy bowel is fundamental in healthy sleeping.

- Black out blinds/curtains in the bedroom.

- No TV, no phones, no devices (well...) at all in the bedroom. Phones charged next door with the ringer on loud for phone calls to appease my Mum who, fairly, points out someone may need to get hold of me in an emergency. Blue light isn't conducive to good sleep and the urge to check your phone must be resisted.

- I go to bed at 10pm almost every night and read, even at a weekend, with the aim of being asleep by 10:30. This is the most critical thing for me, if I don't read and unwind then I don't sleep. This, coupled with an hour of relaxing (TV, board games) before bed, is what stops me 'thinking too much'. Routine is very important in establishing good sleep habits that correlate with our natural circadian rhthyms.

- If I do wake up in the night and don't feel like I'll quickly drift back off then I take my book downstairs and read and then come back to bed. Getting away from the place where you cannot sleep can be a really effective way of resetting your body for sleep, if you just roll around, think and lay there then you'll stay awake anyway, so get up and do something to take your mind off it. Some people bake, watch TV, paint, whatever. 

These are all simple things but they take some commitment, I've no doubt that they've all helped me in some way.

• Upvote 4

On 28/04/2018 at 17:54, Grinch said:
On 28/04/2018 at 10:06, VladimirIlyich said:

It seems that killing cats would solve some people's sleep problems. I'm happy to help on that score.

Capitol punishment should be brought back for child abusers and people who harm animals tbh. Especially the latter.

Grouping child abusers and cat haters together is a ludicrously big leap.