You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Firmino Racism Allegations

aRdja

I agree with much of this. I think the pendulum shifts will become less pronounced and less notable with time, certainly that has been our experience here in regards to the advances in equality between French and English speaking peoples.

When are the Inuit going to get a fair crack? They're your minority problem.

When are the Inuit going to get a fair crack? They're your minority problem.

The French/English was the issue of my generation. The First Nations issues are being addressed by those who are coming of age now. Progress has been made but there is still a long way to go, especially in the Western part of the country.

What if someone called you a handsome white man? Is that racist?

I’m genuinely interested like. And maybe I’m naive, but I genuinely don’t understand this skin colour racism.

Derogatory terms based on ethnicity, obviously racist.

It all depends on the manner and history of the word. Historically being called "white" hasn't been seen as being a negative thing, the opposite in fact, white privilege etc. However the term 'black' goes beyond a descriptor, there's a weight of history that gives it vast connotations. I imagine there's a fair amount of footballers who, like a lot of posters on here, are too thick to realise this and just throw the term around.

Also there's that ridiculous stereotype of black people being smelly so if you're going to allegedly reference that stereotype you have to surrender any innocence you think the comment may have.

• Upvote 1

Spectacularly missing the point -- confirmed by the fact PC421 jumped onboard - as you point out below the word is not inherently racist. Unless you are so paralyzed by those two particular words anytime they are mentioned by a white guy, regardless of context,  that fella is immediately a racist - which of course is not true. They are just words - a couple of which you seem to really be frightened by. You should be more frightened by context and deed - especially the latter as the guy who chooses a white candidate over a black one for his legal firm every time probably does not use that word. And the Indian shopkeeper who never hires any one who isn't Indian may not either.

Now we are on to it -  but still seemingly in a very simple black and white (see what I did there) take on it. Mentioning a single persons color or ethnicity in context in an insult is not inherently racist either (unless you really like to call people racists) as it does not come close to what you are describing. You are speaking to an individual. By calling Lario a thick Paddy cunt - Cloggy is not suggesting every Paddy is thick. He may feel that way, but I doubt it.

If you spoke that way to every member of that ethnicity then you would be. We can even say if you felt that way about not all, but a bunch then you would be.

Today, the term nigger is racist regardless of context. You can also be racist to an individual too. If you call someone “you’re a stupid nigger”, it would be difficult for you to deny that you’re a racist, even if you argued that what you meant was that this particular nigger is stupid as opposed to the whole race.

I’m not particularly ‘frightened’ by racist words or deeds either... I’m happy to just continue to treat racist people with contempt.

• Upvote 1

Goat

@MoutsGoat

Hello @premierleague or @FA, 1 of our players made a complaint over a month ago regarding some abuse he received in a game, his name is Mason Holgate, if it aint too much trouble could you maybe consider looking into this, cheers

23:41 - 11 Feb 2018

See Goat's other Tweets

Twitter Ads information and privacy

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/socce...with-liverpool

Quote:
Roberto Firmino sees his long-term future with Liverpool
Glenn Price
Liverpool Correspondent 

Liverpool striker Roberto Firmino has said that he does not see himself playing for another club "for years to come," and that his recent form has been one of the best spells of his career.

Firmino, 26, currently leads Liverpool's frontline and will record his best scoring tally as a Liverpool player this season, having already netted 19 times in 2017-18 so far.

The Brazilian moved to Anfield from Hoffenheim in the summer of 2015 when Brendan Rodgers was in charge, but he has flourished in a Liverpool shirt under Jurgen Klopp's management.

"Liverpool are one of the greats in Europe and being able to be part of the history of such a great club is gratifying to me," Firmino told Esporte in quotes reported by Sky Sports. "I'm very happy here at Liverpool and I do not see myself out of that club for years to come.

"I believe I am living one of the best phases of my career and I owe much to the trust that the club has placed in me from the beginning.

"The arrival of Jurgen Klopp was very important for my growth within the team. Since he arrived here at Liverpool, he has changed my positioning, put me playing as a forward and that was the watershed for me here at the club.

"Klopp is a fantastic guy. I rate him as an extremely professional coach, a perfectionist, with a winning mentality.

"He came to Liverpool after building a beautiful history in Borussia Dortmund and has done a beautiful job here in England. I'm sure Klopp will be marked in the history of world football for his work and achievements."

When asked about his future, Firmino added: "In every transfer window we hear a lot of speculation, but nothing concrete has come to me until now.

"I am very happy here at Liverpool and my thinking is to build a history with many victories and titles with that club. I have a contract with Liverpool until 2020 and I hope to keep it."