You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

1 hour ago, TheRedMachine said:

One of the best CBs we’ve ever had. Might sound hyperbolic but he’s head and shoulders above Louvren, Skrtyl, Mark Wright, Scales, Babb, Ruddock, Matteo, Agger etc. He’s on a par with Sami easily. 

That's a big call regarding Hyypia. Before VVD arrived, Sami had been our best CB since the title winning days of the 1970s and '80s.  Hyypia was a sensational centre back.  But I do agree that Matip is starting to run him close.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Not to mention Sami, Thommo and even the Mighty Emlyn when he moved into the back 4.

It's great to see both our CB's scoring last night. I hope they continue in the same vein.

I was leaving Hughes out as think of him in other roles, but yeah Thommo was the one I'd forgotten. Knew there was one.

4 hours ago, TheRedMachine said:

One of the best CBs we’ve ever had. Might sound hyperbolic but he’s head and shoulders above Louvren, Skrtyl, Mark Wright, Scales, Babb, Ruddock, Matteo, Agger etc. He’s on a par with Sami easily. 

Agree with that most of that, but not sure I have him at Sami’s level yet, mainly due to Sami’s almost ever present nature while he was here. 

Where do you put Carragher in that hierarchy mate?

39 minutes ago, Belarus said:

Agree with that most of that, but not sure I have him at Sami’s level yet, mainly due to Sami’s almost ever present nature while he was here. 

Where do you put Carragher in that hierarchy mate?

My opinion on Agger is that he was vastly overrated by a lot of people too. 

Edit - not that anyone was asking

5 hours ago, TheRedMachine said:

Don't think you have to worry about the hyperbole there mate!

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Code said:

Carra? Not even close. A bit like comparing Thiago to Danny Murphy. 

I have him not quite in that group, but it's definitely much closer than your analogy suggests. The dedication, effort, diligence and ability to run the defence for such a long time has him among the best we've had. It's just we're fortunate that the very top that we've had is another step beyond.