You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cycling

So what are the finer details of this C2C ?

Apologies for the late response. Its been a pretty hectic couple of weeks. With that and my lack of preparation, due to my little mishap, I'd kind of put it to the back of my mind but ready or not we head off for Penrith on Friday. This is the itinerary

https://cycleactive.com/index.php/c2c-coast-to-coast-bike-ride-itinerary

One thing that rightly pisses me off is cars overtaking you and leaving about 6 inches. usually old men and women.

Another thing that is pissing me off lately is those that refuse to overtake you even when perfectly safe to do so.

Carriage way clear as far as the eye can see and they hover behind you at 20mph. One did it to me this morning. Intentions may be well meaning but it makes me speed up as I feel bad. Just got in and i'm fucked. Must have done 10 mile flat out with one behind me.

Apologies for the late response. Its been a pretty hectic couple of weeks. With that and my lack of preparation, due to my little mishap, I'd kind of put it to the back of my mind but ready or not we head off for Penrith on Friday. This is the itinerary

https://cycleactive.com/index.php/c2c-coast-to-coast-bike-ride-itinerary

Looks good that, sounds like there might be a few hills going through the Lakes and crossing the Pennines though I like that you don’t have to carry stuff so can concentrate on riding and eating.

What’s the weather forecast looking like?

Looks good that, sounds like there might be a few hills going through the Lakes and crossing the Pennines though I like that you don’t have to carry stuff so can concentrate on riding and eating.

What’s the weather forecast looking like?

It’s looking all right. Not wall to wall sunshine but warm and no sign of rain. That’ll do.

I’m no great hill climber but the scenery will be fabulous and I’m just going to get myself in a low gear and see how it goes. I’m going with a group of pretty good cyclists but I’m more than happy cycling on my own if that’s how it turns out

I've decided to get a bike through the work cycle to work scheme. I'll never ride to work as I take the kids to school before I do but want one just to jump on for an hour when I'm at a loose end. We get 32% off any bike and the bike can be up to £1000. I don't think I'll need something that expensive but any recommendations on brand and what I should be looking to shell out is greatly appreciated.

I've decided to get a bike through the work cycle to work scheme. I'll never ride to work as I take the kids to school before I do but want one just to jump on for an hour when I'm at a loose end. We get 32% off any bike and the bike can be up to £1000. I don't think I'll need something that expensive but any recommendations on brand and what I should be looking to shell out is greatly appreciated.

What kind of terrain are you thinking of cycling on?

What kind of terrain are you thinking of cycling on?

Roads mainly. I'm not going to get into it too serious, just go for a leisurely ride down the back roads towards ormskirk and maybe a cracking little pub I know.

It's any bike from Halfords for up to £1000 if anyone has been recently and seen anything decent.

It's any bike from Halfords for up to £1000 if anyone has been recently and seen anything decent.

Hybrid, then. You’ll be able to get something decent £300-£500.

I’m guessing you can then use some of the balance towards lights, locks, helmets etc too

Hybrid, then. You’ll be able to get something decent £300-£500.

I’m guessing you can then use some of the balance towards lights, locks, helmets etc too

Yeah, I can get all the additionals up to a total £1000, so will invest in some decent lights and locks etc.

Cheers Champ and LF.  Will have a look tonight.

Yeah, I can get all the additionals up to a total £1000, so will invest in some decent lights and locks etc.

Cheers Champ and LF.  Will have a look tonight.

I've just had a quick look online. The choice looks quite limited, not necessarily a bad thing, but I think it's worth investigating the Boardman range which get pretty good reviews at decent prices

Is it bollocks?

Halfords have 26inch tyres which the salesman said if inflated fully so they're rock hard have a central part of the tyre that protrudes a little, and gives vastly reduced surface area in contact with the road surface. Only £13 each.

Sounds legit but they fucked up my new stereo install so need second opinion.

Heggemony, on 01 Jun 2018 - 4:28 PM, said:

Is it bollocks?

Halfords have 26inch tyres which the salesman said if inflated fully so they're rock hard have a central part of the tyre that protrudes a little, and gives vastly reduced surface area in contact with the road surface. Only £13 each.

Sounds legit but they fucked up my new stereo install so need second opinion.

This is where I went when looking at new tyres: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

Stuck with the same Continental GP4000 SIIs for combo of performance and wear.

Is cycle to work only limited to Halfords now?

No. Employers are free to sign up with whoever they want as far as I know.

We used to be linked with a local bike shop but a few years ago the contract went to Evans. The problem I find with the staff in these places, who are generally into their bikes is that they’re not very good at guiding novices through the range of bikes and components to allow you to feel that you have come away with the best bike for your needs.

As with so many things it comes down to whoever you end up with on the day