You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

Saw this a few months back and found it interesting that  a European Cup winning manager said he couldn't judge a keeper. Food for thought. I think it is the position on the pitch that is the most difficult for us to judge. 

Goalkeepers tend not to have that luxury. We don't think about their fitness because most of the time we think they're just standing around. Tactics and teammates matter less: Sure, poor tactics means a keeper will face more shots, but we still expect them to save what ought to be saved. On that front, the reality is most of us don't fully understand what keepers do. Most of us never played the position. Most ex-pros who analyze them never played the position.

Our footballing discourse doesn't focus on goalkeeping beyond the most obvious, and often meaningless, platitudes. Stuff like "he doesn't command the box," "he's not organizing his back four," "he really shouldn't be looking to punch it" or "why doesn't he put defenders on the post on corner kicks?"

One Champions League-winning manager once confessed to me that other than evaluating his kicking, he had no basis on which to judge his keepers beyond the most obvious mistakes. Fortunately, he said, he had a goalkeeping coach whom he trusted 100 percent and deferred to his judgment every time. It's just a different role and a different skill set. You wouldn't want your dentist performing open-heart surgery on you, would you? Compounding all this is that mistakes by outfield players, especially forwards and midfielders, are often forgotten. After all, they usually lead to something not happening: a goal. Keeper blunders, on the other hand, are directly measurable in goals conceded. What's more, goalkeeping errors are relatively rare simply because a keeper isn't asked to make that many saves

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/uefa-champions-league/2/blog/post/2976119/gianluigi-buffon-defying-the-odds-as-world-class-goalkeeper-at-38-years-old

Maybe it's hard to judge them before you buy them, but once you've got them, surely you can see whether they are developing properly.  Those Spanish training drills are the kind of thing that should be easy enough to implement.  And how difficult is it to practice goal kicks that can actually go to a team-mate?

Ultimately, a keeper lives and dies by his judgement - deciding when to stay on his feet or go to ground; come out or stay on his line; punch or catch a high ball; dive early for a penalty or wait; etc.  I expect that only comes from actual match practice.  But good training drills can a least make the most of whatever natural talent he has.

For what it's worth, I'd just like to remind any hysterical fannies that 10 League games is not really very many League games.

Boils my piss to hear people calling for a return to Mignolet. It's like voting for Brexit or Trump; why would you choose something you know to be fucking awful?

Because what we have right now is worse?

Pretty much like Trump and Brexit

**Runs for the mountains**

The worrying thing is he looks more and more just like a pretty average keeper, just like the ones you’ll find plenty of in the Championship and League 1 and 2.

We can’t know of course but there’s every chance we’d have 6 points instead of 1 from our last two games with a good keeper, maybe even with the Mig.

If my name was Mignolet I’d ask for a transfer asap, as being second to the one who’s taking his place now is an insult.

Doesn't help that Carra and the two Nevilles are tearing into him. Ok he knows he fucked up and has fucked up again. He has a right to speak out - criticism turning into bullying. What'a their plan - to beat him down with criticism so he'll never speak out against them again in defence of himself.

Doesn't help that Carra and the two Nevilles are tearing into him. Ok he knows he fucked up and has fucked up again. He has a right to speak out - criticism turning into bullying. What'a their plan - to beat him down with criticism so he'll never speak out against them again in defence of himself.

what pundits say about him is irrelevant. What's going to make or break him is his own performances. And at the moment if they don't improve he won't last much longer in the first 11.

Not arsed about Neville but Carragher isn't helping a bad situation.

Yeah, we get it Jamie, you're impartial.

Now please criticise another team's goalkeeper and give our clown the chance to recover somewhat in the relative shade.

You could make a case for signing Heaton, just like you could have for Mig back when he was at Sunderland

Doesn't change the fact that as soon as we sign them they turn to shite.

That lad playing for Stoke at the moment wasn't even first choice for Derby I think it was when they bought him. Not saying he's a great keeper or anything, but had he played a PL before this season?

We buy young keepers with a decent rep and they turn to shite. Other teams buy nobodies as back-up and they look the part

I played with and against him as a kid if your talking about Lee Frant. My mate beat him from the halfway line of a 5 a side goal so we shouldnt sign him.

Shame Butland ankle seems fucked as i liked him

I'd hope that he's strong enough mentally to not give the slightest fuck what Neville or Carragher say about him.