You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp's Tactics

Mil-ing Around

Credit where it's due, I think Gasperini out tactic'd him. We always start slowly these days, and going man-to-man prevented us from ever getting going. They looked well-drilled and won practically every 50-50.

Saying all that, on the balance of chances, neither keeper was over-worked. Bar the Kelleher face save, they put their's away, and we Darwin'd ours.

• Upvote 1

Never really been comfortable with the idea of leaving half the pitch undefended on the theory you’ll score more goals than the opposition, but it was producing results.

It’s not producing results, anymore.

I also think Clark, McConnell and Danns need to be getting significantly more game time. They’ve proven themselves to have the quality, hunger and determination to be in the team on merit.

• Upvote 1

The sluggish starts and coughing up chances very early on is a malaise that I think is down to the coaching staff (I include Jurgen in that). It's incredible how often it happens, and how often we are having to claw back a one-goal deficit. There will be times when it happens and you can't really do anything about it, but the regularity of it in our case is alarming, and there are no signs that we have rectified it.

Two other things that I really hope get ditched going forward:

1 - The kick-off routine, which consists of passing it back to one of the centre backs, who launches it upfield (usual towards the left wing) for the ball to be contested. We almost never retain possession from this situation

2 - When we've been passing it about in midfield and defence with the ball getting nowhere, and manage to win a free kick near the centre circle. we always play the resulting free-kick short to retain more pointless possession, having done nothing to break the opponents' shape and create space.

• Upvote 3

We never seem to have any kind of control, matches are chaos from start to finish.

Great when it works, but on the increasing number of occasions when it doesn't, you just look like a bunch of retards trying to fuck a doorknob.

Grinds my gears seeing the likes of city and arsenal outnumber the opposition when they get to their box and create a simple goal.

Watch us and by the time one of our blown bulbs have taken 30 seconds to decide what to do with the ball, there’s 18 men in front of them in the penalty area.

The easiest goal to score is the tap in on the line that’s come across the 6 years box yet it’s impossible for us to try this. The cut back inside and float a nothing ball onto a centre half’s head still remains the go to tactic for this team. 

I've not especially liked the tactics since we won the league, and particularly the inverted full back situation this last 12 months. And I do wonder if Klopp has gone into autopilot tactically since November (perhaps understandably).

But ultimately it doesn't matter and I have no real criticism. We still play lovely football a lot of the time and mostly get results, and Klopp's overall influence clearly has us getting results that bely our, relative, lack of quality. 

26 minutes ago, Strontium said:

We never seem to have any kind of control, matches are chaos from start to finish.

Great when it works, but on the increasing number of occasions when it doesn't, you just look like a bunch of retards trying to fuck a doorknob.

How many times have we scored late winners this season?

Forest and Fulham spring to mind.

At some point that is gonna run out.

I'll admit it's knerjerk because I'm absolutely livid over the result, and the past few in general. 

For all the great things klopp has done at the club, you do have to wonder has he just lacked something to get us over the line a few times. 

We lost two champions league finals and have fallen at the final hurdle a few times as well regarding the league.... 

Ah fuck it, I'm just fucking sick about this result today. Take no notice of me

In the PL...

72 goals

(City 76)

(Arsenal 75)

221 shots on target

(city 229)

(Arsenal 187)

6 Pens scored

(City 5)

(Arsenal 9)

21 times hit woodwork

(city 11)

(Arsenal 11)

76 offsides

(city 33)

(Arsenal 72)

18834 passes

(city 22032)

(Arsenal 18009)

674 crosses

(city 627)

(Arsenal 578)

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I'll admit it's knerjerk because I'm absolutely livid over the result, and the past few in general. 

For all the great things klopp has done at the club, you do have to wonder has he just lacked something to get us over the line a few times. 

We lost two champions league finals and have fallen at the final hurdle a few times as well regarding the league.... 

Ah fuck it, I'm just fucking sick about this result today. Take no notice of me

Its fine nobody is feeling great. 

Its true Klopp has "failed to get us over the line" a few times but its generally down to massive 115 charge oil cheating. He has been competing against a club that is basically cheating at Football Manager. 

2 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Its fine nobody is feeling great. 

Its true Klopp has "failed to get us over the line" a few times but its generally down to massive 115 charge oil cheating. He has been competing against a club that is basically cheating at Football Manager. 

Exactly. Plus dodgy officiating along with that has cost him 2 additional titles (could be 3 yet)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moo said:

I've not especially liked the tactics since we won the league, and particularly the inverted full back situation this last 12 months. And I do wonder if Klopp has gone into autopilot tactically since November (perhaps understandably).

But ultimately it doesn't matter and I have no real criticism. We still play lovely football a lot of the time and mostly get results, and Klopp's overall influence clearly has us getting results that bely our, relative, lack of quality. 

Yeah the inverted fullback thing has come with far more problems than solutions. 

For all the world, I don't see why we don't used 352 or a variant thereof.  Trent is the world's most fucking obvious defensive right midfielder, and Robertson the left sided equivalent, and TBF Tsimikas is much more suited to that.  

If we left 3 CBs at the back when we attacked then we'd have no problems. 

Perhaps the problem lies in the injuries, we can't play 3 cb's if we only ever have 3 or 4 fit cb's. 

Ditto 3 in midfield needs a pool of 6 or 7 to rotate in and out. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

And there lies the problem. You can't just keep doing that. We're just never get going quickly enough in games and you don't win enough matches if you only play for 60 mins max per game. 

Today was a game where I was certain we'd fly straight into them.

38 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Yeah the inverted fullback thing has come with far more problems than solutions. 

For all the world, I don't see why we don't used 352 or a variant thereof.  Trent is the world's most fucking obvious defensive right midfielder, 

Because Trent doesn't want to to stay wide and doing the donkey work of getting up and down the pitch. He wants to play in the middle and we have changed so he can. I do t think it's really benefitted us. I know the results improved but that because we looked fucked with a old midfield before that. It certainly was t a improvement on the title winning team when he done his job as a attacking fullback and offered width. 

3 hours ago, Red74 said:

Grinds my gears seeing the likes of city and arsenal outnumber the opposition when they get to their box and create a simple goal.

Watch us and by the time one of our blown bulbs have taken 30 seconds to decide what to do with the ball, there’s 18 men in front of them in the penalty area.

The easiest goal to score is the tap in on the line that’s come across the 6 years box yet it’s impossible for us to try this. The cut back inside and float a nothing ball onto a centre half’s head still remains the go to tactic for this team. 

I hate our box play. Just 3 of us stood there looking gormless and not moving and being flat footed and slow to react to the ball. Other teams seem able to open a gap to get a pass or shot off. We're just guaranteed to lose the ball and get countered. You just know we're at best getting some absolute shit weak fanny shot off that rolls to the keeper at 2mph.

Just now, TheSire said:

I hate our box play. Just 3 of us stood there looking gormless and not moving and being flat footed and slow to react to the ball. Other teams seem able to open a gap to get a pass or shot off. We're just guaranteed to lose the ball and get countered. You just know we're at best getting some absolute shit weak fanny shot off that rolls to the keeper at 2mph.

Or salah trying to curl it with 64 defenders on his path.

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Because Trent doesn't want to to stay wide and doing the donkey work of getting up and down the pitch. He wants to play in the middle and we have changed so he can. I do t think it's really benefitted us. I know the results improved but that because we looked fucked with a old midfield before that. It certainly was t a improvement on the title winning team when he done his job as a attacking fullback and offered width. 

I think we like to look for the magic reason things aren't working. Trent hasn't played for months though so we can disregard that straight away.

It seems a mental thing rather than tactical. A lack of urgency early on and lacking composure where everything seems rushed.

When the opposition get a hold of the game we just run out of ideas, it's like the players aren't thinking but on autopilot. There's no pattern to anything and it just looks like headless chickens panicking. Like the forwards smash the ball in the general direction of the goal with no direction, just hoping the keeper fucks up.