You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Another US Shooting

General Dryness

Article on Twitter detailing how you buy a gun in various countries.

Here’s Japan

Japan 1Join a hunting or shooting club. 2Take a firearm class and pass a written exam, which is held up to three times a year. 3Get a doctor’s note saying you are mentally fit and do not have a history of drug abuse. 4Apply for a permit to take firing training, which may take up to a month. 5Describe in a police interview why you need a gun. 6Pass a review of your criminal history, gun possession record, employment, involvement with organized crime groups, personal debt and relationships with friends, family and neighbors. 7Apply for a gunpowder permit. 8Take a one-day training class and pass a firing test. 9Obtain a certificate from a gun dealer describing the gun you want. 10Buy a gun safe and an ammunition locker that meet safety regulations. 11Allow the police to inspect your gun storage. 12Pass an additional background review. 13Buy a gun.

The NRA just filed a lawsuit against the state of Florida for raising the gun buying age from 18 to 21, saying it violates Second Amendment Rights. Ridiculous business. Florida took a good step in a sensible direction, but now the NRA getting stuck in.

Presumably Budweiser et al will note this lawsuit and then go after every state for setting the legal drinking age at 21, using the same logic as the NRA, as setting the drinking age at 21 violates 21st Amendment Rights?

Whilst I don't support everyone having a gun, the constitution does say that everyone has the right to. They NRA should win that as it's a clear violation.

The constitution also gives you the right to have a drink. It’s the 21st Amendment, which came about in order to repeal prohibition. But somewhere along the way lawmakers decided that the legal age for drinking should be 21.

It seems to me that your Second Amendment rights should not be seen as violated if you can’t buy a gun until age 21.

It may not be a popular opinion but I do have some sympathy with the NRA.

I appreciate they are mostly loons but owning a gun is one of the founding principles of the society in which they live.

Not being a fan of government I can completely understand some guy in rural Texas not liking being told by some middle class bloke from Washington that he no longer has the right to something which is in the founding principals of a nation established to escape the oppression of an interfering hierarchy.

It is the thin end of a wedge.

I agree that no one really needs an M5 or a Kalashnikov but who has the right to deny someone his freedom and right to protect his family as written in the constitution.

If I lived in rural Texas I would have a shit load of them. I actually like guns and shooting it is strangely compelling once you have done it.

I would not have a firearms license here there is no point. It is not part of the make up of the place. But over there as I know Carlos down the road is carrying I would make sure I was too.

I know that is ridiculous but if you extrapolate the theory of not being armed in that situation I would assume you would be in favour of disbanding the British Armed Forces.

Gun totting wankers. Im ex forces and yeah shooting an SA80 is strangely satisfying. I still couldnt shoot someone. Fuck the right to bear arms. Vile weapons. I prefer people alive than dead.

Not disagreeing with that mate. Except the SA80 was shit compared to the SLR.

I would never want to shoot someone either But if I lived in that sort of place and someone stepped to me or my family with the intent of causing us harm I’d put a hole in them.

Not disagreeing with that mate. Except the SA80 was shit compared to the SLR.

I would never want to shoot someone either But if I lived in that sort of place and someone stepped to me or my family with the intent of causing us harm I’d put a hole in them.

Its "that sort of place" that is the whole point in fucking off a stupid amendment. The SLR is a fine weapon. SA80 is shite I agree.
  • Upvote 1

The constitution also gives you the right to have a drink. It’s the 21st Amendment, which came about in order to repeal prohibition. But somewhere along the way lawmakers decided that the legal age for drinking should be 21.

It seems to me that your Second Amendment rights should not be seen as violated if you can’t buy a gun until age 21.

Yes so you either have another amendment or everyone has a gun from 18. Maybe that is the debate Florida is hoping to start because surely they will lose.

It may not be a popular opinion but I do have some sympathy with the NRA.

I appreciate they are mostly loons but owning a gun is one of the founding principles of the society in which they live.

Not being a fan of government I can completely understand some guy in rural Texas not liking being told by some middle class bloke from Washington that he no longer has the right to something which is in the founding principals of a nation established to escape the oppression of an interfering hierarchy.

It is the thin end of a wedge.

I agree that no one really needs an M5 or a Kalashnikov but who has the right to deny someone his freedom and right to protect his family as written in the constitution.

If I lived in rural Texas I would have a shit load of them. I actually like guns and shooting it is strangely compelling once you have done it.

I would not have a firearms license here there is no point. It is not part of the make up of the place. But over there as I know Carlos down the road is carrying I would make sure I was too.

I know that is ridiculous but if you extrapolate the theory of not being armed in that situation I would assume you would be in favour of disbanding the British Armed Forces.

‘Thin edge of the wedge’ ? What does that mean?

Some people need guns, no issue with that. But it’s a big responsibility so make sure they aren’t mental, are competent in their use, keep them safe and aren’t able to build up an arsenal that could kill thousands.

The funny thing about it is 'the right to bear arms' was to fight against a tyrannical government that'd take their rights away. The government has already taken all their rights away. They have no access to healthcare. One of the poorest levels of education in the developed world. They have no employee rights. No rights to free speech. The only freedom they have left is to shoot each other en masse.

The funny thing about it is 'the right to bear arms' was to fight against a tyrannical government that'd take their rights away. The government has already taken all their rights away. They have no access to healthcare. One of the poorest levels of education in the developed world. They have no employee rights. No rights to free speech. The only freedom they have left is to shoot each other en masse.

And an AR-15 (even with a bump stock) isn’t going to stop an Abraham tank, Apache helicopter or A10. Then there are the ‘B’s

Don't let the fact that you are more likely to die from circumstances of homelessness,no access to free health care or nutritional food get in the way of allowing you to shoot each other. Got to get your priorities right!

In all honesty a hell of a lot of murders(not mass shootings necessarily) are due to the fucked up system were citizens are angry but they don't really know who to be angry with,so they take it out on each other using flimsy excuses.In the wise words of actor Michael Kenneth Williams(The Wire,Boardwalk Empire etc) 'Ive come to realise that the race thing is a smoke screen. The real war is on class. You are innocent until proven poor.' This is part of the reason why poorly educated people get guns and turn on each other to the delight of the ruling classes through sheer frustration.

We've had some troubles of our own to concentrate on today. However it's very encouraging to see so many young people increasingly prepared to engage in protests over serious issues.

Still, just read this

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/03/14/teacher-accidentally-discharges-firearm-in-calif-classroom-he-was-trained-in-gun-use/?__twitter_impression=true

A teacher who is also a reserve police officer trained in firearm use ‘accidentally’ discharged a gun Tuesday at Seaside High School in Monterey County, Calif., during a class devoted to public safety, school officials said in a statement. A male student was reported to have sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

The weapon, which was not described, was pointed at the ceiling, according to a statement from the school, and debris fell from the ceiling.

Nobody on the 3500+ schools that walked out today in protest - no one? 

Nothing?

On a cruise so removed from normal life for a few days, but just been catching up with daughter back in Indiana. She was one of the ring leaders for a group of students at her school to walk out and protest today.

She was disappointed with the school’s low-key response (I don’t fully understand the details as we are separated right now, but the jist of it is she doesn’t think they are taking the issues seriously enough), so she met with school administrators, with about half a dozen of her friends too, for an hour after the walk out protest.

She has a strong sense of justice and what’s right and wrong, and tonight I am a proud father. She’s 14.

• Upvote 3

• dave u changed the title to Another US Shooting