You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner is....

TheHowieLama

You're now seeing why City fans took him to their hearts and kept banging on about him.

He's one of those players that gets overlooked because he's 'boring' (so to speak), but when he's in your team and you watch his work rate, you can only applaud him. He's not the most gifted in the world, but he's not without a fair bit of talent as well as hard graft.

You'll never see him slacking in a month of Sundays. Consistent 7.5-8/10 player.

• Upvote 1

You're now seeing why City fans took him to their hearts and kept banging on about him.

He's one of those players that gets overlooked because he's 'boring' (so to speak), but when he's in your team and you watch his work rate, you can only applaud him. He's not the most gifted in the world, but he's not without a fair bit of talent as well as hard graft.

You'll never see him slacking in a month of Sundays. Consistent 7.5-8/10 player.

I met an England player from the 70's who does some hospitality work for the FA. He has given lifts to Milner and Ashley Young, on different occasions, to Wembley for England games.

Young barely spoke other than chat to his mates on his mobile and play games. Milner spent the entire journey asking about the player's international experiences and asking for advice.

Everyone speaks so highly about Milner as a model pro who just wants to play football, and he has done so, consistently, at a very high level.

Our team has been systematically stripped of experience, Milner is a valuable and welcome addition.

• Upvote 3

I slated Milner for years when he was getting in the England squads I just didn't understand how but I take it all back, after watching him the last 3 games he is all for the team, gives 100% every game and can drop deep or push up to attack. Can only help players like Rossiter as well to be able to learn from him

I slated Milner for years when he was getting in the England squads I just didn't understand how but I take it all back, after watching him the last 3 games he is all for the team, gives 100% every game and can drop deep or push up to attack. Can only help players like Rossiter as well to be able to learn from him

One of his 'problems' is that he's so versatile, teams are willing to play him all over the park and other fans think 'he wasn't that good' - but that's 'cos he's out of position (but still does a decent job). Sadly, it means he's never held down a consistent position and ends up being a big of a jack of all trades. Great attitude though, never seen him moaning, and he does have a very dry sense of humour and is a practical joker (contrary to his public image).

Not easy to watch him in a Liverpool shirt, but can't have any hard feelings with him. He did a great job for us, and I'm sure he will for you.

• Upvote 1

I met an England player from the 70's who does some hospitality work for the FA. He has given lifts to Milner and Ashley Young, on different occasions, to Wembley for England games.

Young barely spoke other than chat to his mates on his mobile and play games. Milner spent the entire journey asking about the player's international experiences and asking for advice.

Everyone speaks so highly about Milner as a model pro who just wants to play football, and he has done so, consistently, at a very high level.

Our team has been systematically stripped of experience, Milner is a valuable and welcome addition.

He's got that drive in him that Gerrard had. Urging players on / not give up. If you have a couple of players like that in your team, it spreads and instead of heads dropping, you get comebacks from losing positions.  The model pro seems to be a reputation he's carried with him at every club. Plenty could learn from him on that score.

• Upvote 1

One of his 'problems' is that he's so versatile, teams are willing to play him all over the park and other fans think 'he wasn't that good' - but that's 'cos he's out of position (but still does a decent job). Sadly, it means he's never held down a consistent position and ends up being a big of a jack of all trades. Great attitude though, never seen him moaning, and he does have a very dry sense of humour and is a practical joker (contrary to his public image).

Not easy to watch him in a Liverpool shirt, but can't have any hard feelings with him. He did a great job for us, and I'm sure he will for you.

It must be murder spending £80m or whatever on his replacement right enough.

My heart fucking bleeds.

• Upvote 4

What replacement is that then?

It's not murder, it's myth.

I don't know who you've bought apart from that little nomark you gave us £49m for.

I find Man City about as interesting as going to a Coldplay gig with John Major.

• Upvote 3

I don't know who you've bought apart from that little nomark you gave us £49m for.

I find Man City about as interesting as going to a Coldplay gig with John Major.

Now, on paper, indeed, that would seem quite a boring gig...

But imagine the surrealism of old Johnny boy half pissed after pre-gig drinks, then singing his head off to "fix you" and then throwing up his kebab in the taxi home whilst lecturing the driver on the perils of the Greek Euro bail out...

I've had worse nights

• Upvote 2

Now, on paper, indeed, that would seem quite a boring gig...

But imagine the surrealism of old Johnny boy half pissed after pre-gig drinks, then singing his head off to "fix you" and then throwing up his kebab in the taxi home whilst lecturing the driver on the perils of the Greek Euro bail out...

I've had worse nights

Anyone who gives Edwina a good fucking is ok in my book.

• Upvote 1

I really don't how understand how anyone cannot like Milner. He's the very antithesis of the modern footballer. Not flashy, just effective,

Difference between liking him and rating him up there with the likes of Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Didi, Souness , McMahon and Molby. Standards have dropped, he's a solid pro, nothing more.

Difference between liking him and rating him up there with the likes of Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Didi, Souness , McMahon and Molby. Standards have dropped, he's a solid pro, nothing more.

I'd place him above the "solid pro" bracket- give him time he could prove himself to make that list. His chance at a "big" club starts now. Players like Milner will never become legends at clubs like City.

I often look at players who, because of the billions, have ended up at City or Chelsea and have done well, but will never become icons or legends compared to similar players who play for us or United. Aguero, Toure, Matic- all brilliant- had they put in exact same performances in a Liverpool or Utd shirt they would be elevated up a level. You can't buy the passion or the history that puts our brilliant players into super hero like status.

What strikes me is how on earth we didn't win the league with all of Mascherano, Gerrard, Didi, Xabi, Torres, Hyypia, Carra, Reina.

• Upvote 1

I'd place him above the "solid pro" bracket- give him time he could prove himself to make that list. His chance at a "big" club starts now. Players like Milner will never become legends at clubs like City.

I often look at players who, because of the billions, have ended up at City or Chelsea and have done well, but will never become icons or legends compared to similar players who play for us or United. Aguero, Toure, Matic- all brilliant- had they put in exact same performances in a Liverpool or Utd shirt they would be elevated up a level. You can't buy the passion or the history that puts our brilliant players into super hero like status.

What strikes me is how on earth we didn't win the league with all of Mascherano, Gerrard, Didi, Xabi, Torres, Hyypia, Carra, Reina.

he could have been part of that if rafa had his way

I was a bit underwhelmed that we put so much effort into signing him up but I was very pleasantly impressed on the Aussie tour and more so since the start of the season BUT why must he (and Coutinho) insist on taking fucking short corners beats me. A tactic that has paid off 4 times in the history of football, just a waste of a opportunity when we've got  Benteke, Skrtel and Lovren in the box.