You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner is....

TheHowieLama

Is there any greater example of how far we've fallen far as a club when a 29-year old utility journeyman comes in as our second-highest earner and is given the vice-captaincy?

Think making Henderson the captain probably pips it.  Milner's been lousy lately, but he is a decent player.   I think he's going through a dip in form.  He was often a game changer for City, who lest we forget have been operating at a significantly higher level than us, and there's no reason why he can't do the same for us.  

That said, he shouldn't be guaranteed a place, and right now I would give him a few weeks out of the team.  That said, who do you bring in?  Firmino has been the same, really.  Ineffectual and not really with the pace of the game, and certainly not having much of an impact thus far.  Let's hope it's just a matter of time with him.  

Milners a good player. His last game was poor but he's still a good player. Even though his three previous managers at oil city had enough money to spunk on anyone to replace him yet they all went out of their way to keep him. Plus he's got a winning mentality, knows what it takes to win trophies, which is what our squad is short on.

Ancelotti has said he would have taken the Liverpool job if asked,said Klopp is a top manager,we have good players but we need more experience. Fair assessment.

He's not wrong regarding the experience. if we're being charitable you could call our squad green. Naive is probably closer to the mark and you only correct that through playing.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

He hasn't got the class going forward of Coutinho, Firmino or Lallana and I still don't think he has enough passing as a central midfielder but a couple of absolutely quality defensive efforts from him yesterday. That back post header and the challenge on Fernandinho were the sort of things we haven't had a midfielder do since Mascherano.

• Upvote 1

He doesn't do flicks and tricks as well as the others. He is an intelligent player though, he makes good runs, links really well and as you said, as a wide midfielder, he's very good defensively.

Grosskreutz got a lot of games under Klopp, and he's a similar sort of player, but not as good... Milner will play wide for us more often than not I reckon.

When Toure doesn't get a mention in city's midfield, and they have to bring on a centre mid at half time, it tells you out centre midfield won its battle yesterday.

Can was comfortably the best of the three, but Milner and Lucas both did a terrific job as far as I'm concerned.

Probably with two exceptions, which was Lucas letting Aguero get the better if him for their goal and Milner's short backpass.

Against a team of city's quality, that impressive over 90 mins

Not sure Lucas had much choice with Aguero. The alternative was probably getting sent off.

I agree, but Aguero got the better of him and got the wrong side.

The thing I said to my mate was that his yellow was harsh as fuck, and that's exactly the sort of foul he loves to make, so he would defo have brought him down if he hadn't been booked.

I agree, but Aguero got the better of him and got the wrong side.

The thing I said to my mate was that his yellow was harsh as fuck, and that's exactly the sort of foul he loves to make, so he would defo have brought him down if he hadn't been booked.

I thought his yellow was a bit daft, to be honest. Often he makes those sort of fouls and they need to be made. People moan about it, but he's preventing dangerous situations from developing. That's the job of a holding midfielder. Yesterday's seemed like a bit of a waste though as they weren't really threatening from an attack.

However, no great shame in Aguero getting the better of you. He's the best striker in the league by some distance. We're lucky he was just coming back from an injury and only really threatened in fits and starts.

Generally, as most have said, our midfield was pretty good. Theirs was fucking terrible. Toure couldn't be arsed, and Fernando hasn't looked all that great since coming to England. Delph and Fernandinho offered a bit more effort and energy when they came on, both probably should have started.

I think we should sell him in the summer.

He's a solid player, but I think the fee we got for him(I would assume £10m) and his wages could be put to a significant midfield upgrade; that 24-year-old, black, 6'4 CM we've needed since He's gone, get over it left.

Never heard of the cunt.

I don't understand the criticism Milner has been getting the last few weeks, he hasn't been at his best but has still been good and has created the most chances out of anyone in the squad.

With all the flair players we have in our am positions he is exactly the kind of player we need to help do the dirty work, I get the impression he's a bit upset about having to play out wide but when he accepts it his form should improve.

• 1 month later...

James Millner has been great sofar against Norwitch. Set up one, nearly scored another, 

This full screen wallpaper is designed by my mum who is a aspired art designer for PC Computers and eyephones, with help from my brother who is also a graphical design. I also posted it in the match thread but it deserves to be seen! FREE to download (click to enhance and load down) during the whole Norwitch game. MODS: Please remove this post and close the thread when the game is over.

Ar2gS0w.jpg

• Upvote 5