You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

I've been eligible to vote in 3 major elections in my life, and each time I've seen this country march to the polls to make the place fucking worse.

Me and my wife live in the north east. She works in a financial services job liaising with the construction industry - two sectors that have seen 25% wiped off them in mere hours. I work in higher education, a sector that's reasonably dependent on EU research funding. We're both facing massively uncertain futures now, our prosperity (and that of our future children) has been thrown into absolute doubt, and all for what? Scare-mongering about immigration and misplaced rage at bogeymen in Brussels.

What tangible, physical threat did the EU pose to out-ers? The facts, the evidence all pointed to remain. Maybe what we're seeing this morning is just a blip, it'll all be fine long term. Maybe. There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that though, it's just speculation at best and downright wishful thinking at worst. Alternatively, we could have voted remain and at worst and the situation would have been exactly the same today, if not vastly improved.

I'm genuinely fearful for the future, and I hope that the succour of the mirage of "taking back control" is well worth it for the leavers, because I can't think of a single good thing that's going to come out of this. There's very little I like about England thesedays, and today there's one thing even less.

I'm so, so sorry Manny. I'm sure it will be no consolation whatsoever that there are now millions of other people facing the same uncertain future as yourself.

I hope things won't be as bad as you think, but having seen the oxygen thieves who are now going to take over the reins of Britain, and the oxygen thieves who put them there, I can well understand pessimism.

• Upvote 1

Just feel sick.

I'm starting to feel slightly nihilistic, I want the shites who voted for this to suffer.

I've just come out of a meeting which descended into EU chat had 2 doctors, 1 nurse and 1 administrator say that they would leave. "we don't feel welcome here anymore"

• Upvote 1

Who knows exactly what drove that nutter in Batley to do what he did but the pictures of that bog eyed cunt Farage this morning make me physically sick and do I blame him for some of the more extreme xenophobic outpourings from those in the Leave camp ? Yes I do .

He is an utter wanker and he said something this morning about a revolution being achieved without a shot being fired, Short term memory problem there Nigel.  Ask yourself if he's a fit person to be telling people to make life changing decisions .

Well he's been charged with terror related crimes hasnt he? Even so, he's no way representative of ordinary people in the  uK.

I've just come out of a meeting which descended into EU chat had 2 doctors, 1 nurse and 1 administrator say that they would leave. "we don't feel welcome here anymore"

Whatever could have given them that idea?

Oh yeah, years of racist slurs against immigrants and immigration.

I don't know why Farage is celebrating. They're a one issue party, they've got nothing to offer the electorate now. 

His party have won, that's why he's celebrating, this is the greatest day of his life.

He'll likely move across to Johnson's tory party now & help to run/destroy the country.

It doesn't get much better than this if you're Nigel Farage.

Me and my wife live in the north east. She works in a financial services job liaising with the construction industry - two sectors that have seen 25% wiped off them in mere hours. I work in higher education, a sector that's reasonably dependent on EU research funding. We're both facing massively uncertain futures now, our prosperity (and that of our future children) has been thrown into absolute doubt, and all for what? Scare-mongering about immigration and misplaced rage at bogeymen in Brussels.

Sorry to hear you're in that position. It will be a difficult time for a lot of people. I can only wish you well and hope things work out for you and your family.

Yes, sorry, I skim read it and misread. If you're an Irish national, you wont need a visa to enter the UK as I said due to historical arrangements. As to the mechanics of the scenario you describe I guess as much as previously, it will be on trust and subject to spot checks when people enter the UK from Ireland.

In effect the scenario is just the same as now when someone enters an EU country then travels into the uK, airport and port checks will be carried out to show whether that non EU national is allowed in unconditionally.

Have you ever travelled between the UK and Ireland? You do know there is a 500km-long land border between the countries? Good luck conducting 'spot checks' on that. Now that we have established that there will be a difference, let's look at what the differences might be. I fear a future where a UK government, assailed for failing to keep out the flow of migrants, blames that border and people 'abusing' it. I hope that doesn't happen, but I see plenty in the Brexit movement and apocalyptic visions of being 'swamped' by migrants to make me concerned.

His party have won, that's why he's celebrating, this is the greatest day of his life.

He'll likely move across to Johnson's tory party now & help to run/destroy the country.

It doesn't get much better than this if you're Nigel Farage.

Apart from the issue of joining the tories, think you'll find he has to go through a selection process for a seat first. Even if he wanted, he cant just rock up at a safe tory seat and declare himself the sitting candidate.

Farage has been charged ??

Good news at last

Well it did make me laugh but no, not him.

Sorry to hear you're in that position. It will be a difficult time for a lot of people. I can only wish you well and hope things work out for you and your family.

I'm so, so sorry Manny. I'm sure it will be no consolation whatsoever that there are now millions of other people facing the same uncertain future as yourself.

I hope things won't be as bad as you think, but having seen the oxygen thieves who are now going to take over the reins of Britain, and the oxygen thieves who put them there, I can well understand pessimism.

Cheers gents. I know there'll probably be people in even worse positions and there's no way we're alone in this, so I'm not feeling too much self-pity. My point is that we've willfully inflicted this uncertainty for absolutely nothing tangible. Chaos in exchange for peace of mind that some bloke in Brussels has been given what for.

Fucking madness, absolute madness.

I think he's toast to be honest mate.

I agree, but I find it scandalous that cunts like Mandelson are calling for him to go, and Farron called him spineless.

I hope he quits the labour part whip and joins the greens, hopefully taking the decent members of the 'labour (sic)' party with him! They've swallowed the Blairite rhetoric, and that party is poison. He's far too good a man for them.

As for those saying he was weak, what did they want him to do? Wear a EU flag made in to a suit? Rename his children Paris, Berlin and Brussels? Load of shite!!

Oh and you're going to bethe sole arbiter of who an andcannot vote? As Ive said, you're another who subscribes to fascism then.

I subscribe to natural selection. Can't sign your own name don't get a vote.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I think he's toast to be honest mate.

He was from the outset mate,

Drafting in a few hundred thousand activists to get elected doesn't sit well with 10 million voters that turned out to support the party under Miliband I think last night among many things just demonstrated how little pull he has with traditional Labour support. The Tories should b getting roasted , open civil war over a referendum they called and the Labour party are on the back foot.  Mental

Apart from the issue of joining the tories, think you'll find he has to go through a selection process for a seat first. Even if he wanted, he cant just rock up at a safe tory seat and declare himself the sitting candidate.

Well it did make me laugh but no, not him.

Ah, ok, Farage won't be joining the tories anytime soon then.

We're fine then, just Gove and Johnson running the country.

Have you ever travelled between the UK and Ireland? You do know there is a 500km-long land border between the countries? Good luck conducting 'spot checks' on that. Now that we have established that there will be a difference, let's look at what the differences might be. I fear a future where a UK government, assailed for failing to keep out the flow of migrants, blames that border and people 'abusing' it. I hope that doesn't happen, but I see plenty in the Brexit movement and apocalyptic visions of being 'swamped' by migrants to make me concerned.

Well you're presuming anyone would travel IR to UK via NI. Some might. But, non EU nationals wanting to get into the UK could very well be using that route before the referendum or they could go IR (or any other EU country) then try and enter the UK.

There'll be current procedures for that in existence now. In other words, nothing will change in the way this is dealt with. I think you're overreacting a tad to be honest.

It'll be his own fault. He's been far too passive during this referendum. If he truly believed we should leave he should have come out and stood up for it. If he did honestly think we should have stayed then his performance was woeful.

Don't disagree. All bets are off with a Leave vote anyway, whatever his performance during the run-up to the vote. It's all up for grabs isn't it.

The calls for strong leadership, statesmanship and the like, to ensure the aftermath of the vote is managed to the benefit of the Great British public, will be many, loud and amplified effectively by the Murdochs of this world.

That's not what Corbyn does, it's hard to see him appealing to the electorate in large numbers and the left in this country now has to be seen to fight tooth and nail against the forces who fought the Remain campaign in the way it was.

It's a natural point where people within the Labour party will come forward to challenge, whatever their motives.

• Upvote 2

They have a mandtre from voters, the more extreme views on foreigners are now slightly less extreme because of people voting leave so they can slowly creep in.

The majority of the leave vote came from traditionally labour held working class areas. UKIP are a one issue party. They only received 12% of the vote in the last election because they were the only party that was anti EU.

Now we're out there's no reason for them to exist. They'll lose a lot of voters to the tories in the next election and they aren't going to win over the labour left because their policies are incongruent to the values of the left wing. They'll fade into nothingness. 

Not while the leadership vote remains with the membership.

I'm not sure how difficult it will be for that to be amended, from the whole party membership having a vote on the leadership to only the PLP, but I'd expect at least a move to attempt this in the very near future.

He was from the outset mate,

Drafting in a few hundred thousand activists to get elected doesn't sit well with 10 million voters that turned out to support the party under Miliband I think last night among many things just demonstrated how little pull he has with traditional Labour support. The Tories should b getting roasted , open civil war over a referendum they called and the Labour party are on the back foot. Mental

I voted for Miband. I am traditional Labour support. And Corbyn's values echo mine. This activist line is nonsense. He's the only politician who has engaged the youth of the country. It's the Blairites who have usurped those values, and if they take charge Labour will lose a lot of support.

• Upvote 3