You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

A majority, both in percentage terms and numbers is what I think you're saying.

It was a plebiscite in action.

Really 

What I have seen over the last few months is a fucking circus and the senseless murder of a young, talented public servant,

They'll blame all the foreigners. It really is a win-win situation for the Brexit campaign. I'm genuinely worried about a future where I'll have to apply for a visa when I visit Britain. 

If you're from the Irish Republic mate it wont make a scrap of difference. Irish nationals could visit the UK pre EU without visa requirements.

You can shove your ballot box up your arse sideways.

Funny, someone was saying last night that Leave would mean the rise of fascism. OK I guess you just proved their point.

Really 

What I have seen over the last few months is a fucking circus and the senseless murder of a young, talented public servant,

Everyone acknowledges the terrible murder by a mentally ill individual. If you're trying to link that mentally ill individual to the general population who voted Leave, I think that's a pretty appalling approach.

If you're from the Irish Republic mate it wont make a scrap of difference. Irish nationals could visit the UK pre EU without visa requirements.

So EU citizens will be able to move freely to Ireland but only Irish citizens will be able to move freely to the UK? Please explain to me how such an arrangement will be monitored.

I've been eligible to vote in 3 major elections in my life, and each time I've seen this country march to the polls to make the place fucking worse.

Me and my wife live in the north east. She works in a financial services job liaising with the construction industry - two sectors that have seen 25% wiped off them in mere hours. I work in higher education, a sector that's reasonably dependent on EU research funding. We're both facing massively uncertain futures now, our prosperity (and that of our future children) has been thrown into absolute doubt, and all for what? Scare-mongering about immigration and misplaced rage at bogeymen in Brussels.

What tangible, physical threat did the EU pose to out-ers? The facts, the evidence all pointed to remain. Maybe what we're seeing this morning is just a blip, it'll all be fine long term. Maybe. There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that though, it's just speculation at best and downright wishful thinking at worst. Alternatively, we could have voted remain and at worst and the situation would have been exactly the same today, if not vastly improved.

I'm genuinely fearful for the future, and I hope that the succour of the mirage of "taking back control" is well worth it for the leavers, because I can't think of a single good thing that's going to come out of this. There's very little I like about England thesedays, and today there's one thing even less.

• Upvote 3

So EU citizens will be able to move freely to Ireland but only Irish citizens will be able to move freely to the UK? Please explain to me how such an arrangement will be monitored.

Because the Irish Republic has special consessions since when Ireland gained independence from the UK.

Because the Irish Republic has special consessions since when Ireland gained independence from the UK.

You didn't answer my question. How are you going to ensure those 'special concessions' are not availed of by non-Irish citizens of the EU?

I don't know why Farage is celebrating. They're a one issue party, they've got nothing to offer the electorate now.

They have a mandtre from voters, the more extreme views on foreigners are now slightly less extreme because of people voting leave so they can slowly creep in.

Quite simply, it cannot. Free movement between the UK and Ireland will go the same way as free movemement between the UK and everywhere else.

Everyone acknowledges the terrible murder by a mentally ill individual. If you're trying to link that mentally ill individual to the general population who voted Leave, I think that's a pretty appalling approach.

Who knows exactly what drove that nutter in Batley to do what he did but the pictures of that bog eyed cunt Farage this morning make me physically sick and do I blame him for some of the more extreme xenophobic outpourings from those in the Leave camp ? Yes I do .

He is an utter wanker and he said something this morning about a revolution being achieved without a shot being fired, Short term memory problem there Nigel.  Ask yourself if he's a fit person to be telling people to make life changing decisions .

No, but maybe making it a bit more difficult to vote, maybe by making you have to write your name in the box instead of an X would deter your average leave voter.

Oh and you're going to bethe sole arbiter of who an andcannot vote? As Ive said, you're another who subscribes to fascism then.

You didn't answer my question. How are you going to ensure those 'special concessions' are not availed of by non-Irish citizens of the EU?

Yes, sorry, I skim read it and misread. If you're an Irish national, you wont need a visa to enter the UK as I said due to historical arrangements. As to the mechanics of the scenario you describe I guess as much as previously, it will be on trust and subject to spot checks when people enter the UK from Ireland.

In effect the scenario is just the same as now when someone enters an EU country then travels into the uK, airport and port checks will be carried out to show whether that non EU national is allowed in unconditionally.