You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Really worried for mates who are in environmental protection, I'd imagine a fair number of their careers will be under threat form 'the need to cut Brussels red tape'.

The fishing boats will be able to fish the oceans to extinction now, without the protection of fisheries policy.

Don't disagree. All bets are off with a Leave vote anyway, whatever his performance during the run-up to the vote. It's all up for grabs isn't it.

The calls for strong leadership, statesmanship and the like, to ensure the aftermath of the vote is managed to the benefit of the Great British public, will be many, loud and amplified effectively by the Murdochs of this world.

That's not what Corbyn does, it's hard to see him appealing to the electorate in large numbers and the left in this country now has to be seen to fight the forces who've fought the Remain campaign in the way it was tooth and nail.

It's a natural point where people within the Labour party will come forward to challenge, whatever their motives.

My money is on Benn now

The fishing boats will be able to fish the oceans to extinction now, without the protection of fisheries policy.

Agreed it used to confound me why the trawler men in Peterhead and Fraserburgh, would moan about the EU. They seemed to be annoyed that the EU was basically preventing them from destroying their own livelihoods.

Well you're presuming anyone would travel IR to UK via NI. Some might. But, non EU nationals wanting to get into the UK could very well be using that route before the referendum or they could go IR (or any other EU country) then try and enter the UK.

There'll be current procedures for that in existence now. In other words, nothing will change in the way this is dealt with. I think you're overreacting a tad to be honest.

The 'current procedures' are the EU! How anyone, after a campaign based on how those procedures are so inimical to the British way of life, can then say those procedures will carry on pretty much as before, is beyond me. That you can be so blasé about it only makes me more nervous.

Hilary Benn's last moment in the spotlight was to implore the UK to bomb Syria. I don't think he's a potential leader. I hope they stick with Corbyn, a genuine left winger and as far as is possible (with compromise a necessity) a man of principle.

• Upvote 1

I've just discovered my wife is a racist. Not quite sure what to make of it.

She's fallen for the immigration argument hook, line and sinker! It's actually quite upset me.

Sorry to hear that mate.

May I suggest 3 steps back, 2 steps to the left, then a charge forward with a kick to the clunge? Make sure it's a good kick - i.e. you get your foot back.

I voted for Miband. I am traditional Labour support. And Corbyn's values echo mine. This activist line is nonsense. He's the only politician who has engaged the youth of the country. It's the Blairites who have usurped those values, and if they take charge Labour will lose a lot of support.

I like Corbyn and respect his integrity but I'm convinced he will do worse at the polls than even Miliband managed. I hate the term un-electable but i think its almost impossbile to see him winning a General Election  

Hilary Benn's last moment in the spotlight was to implore the UK to bomb Syria. I don't think he's a potential leader. I hope they stick with Corbyn, a genuine left winger and as far as is possible (with compromise a necessity) a man of principle.

He's a slippery twat, we need Dan Jarvis,  the steely-eyed messanger of death. 

First and foremost though it needs a soul, because it doens't have one. 

Sorry to hear that mate.

May I suggest 3 steps back, 2 steps to the left, then a charge forward with a kick to the clunge? Make sure it's a good kick - i.e. you get your foot back.

Highly tempting! I made light of it when I spoke to her, but for the first time in 14 years I'm genuinely disappointed in her! Saying that she's probably disappointed in me every day :)

I like Corbyn and respect his integrity but I'm convinced he will do worse at the polls than even Miliband managed. I hate the term un-electable but i think its almost impossbile to see him winning a General Election  

There is no evidence for this. Labour have polled well since he has been in charge. The huge surge in Labour membership was in order to vote Corbyn in as leader. He's absolutely electable, no matter what the press say.

There is no evidence for this. Labour have polled well since he has been in charge. The huge surge in Labour membership was in order to vote Corbyn in as leader. He's absolutely electable, no matter what the press say.

We might well find out before Christmas

The 'current procedures' are the EU! How anyone, after a campaign based on how those procedures are so inimical to the British way of life, can then say those procedures will carry on pretty much as before, is beyond me. That you can be so blasé about it only makes me more nervous.

The current procedures are set up to catch non EU nationals entering the uK via a current EU country. The fact that Ireland would still be in the EU while the UK will not be (in 2 or more years time by the way) doesnt change the fact that checks will have to be made as they are currently done.

Or do you honestly think there's no checks on non EU nationals entering the UK from an EU country now?

The UK can wave Bye bye Scotland, us Europeans will be glad you vote out of the UK to stay as part of the EU. 

The EU is finished in it's current form. The satisfaction ratings are very poor and more countries will be leaving in our wake. 

If they get rid of Corbyn and put another neo liberal in charge the Labour party will have monumentally misread the situation. The vote last night was anti establishment, anti tory and anti austerity. It wasn't a vote against Corbyn.

Fair enough but would you take a Labour victory under Benn or another defeat with Corbyn ?

Hard to say, but with Benn as PM there'd still be no hope as he's a Blairite, and they're a gang of areseholes.

I'd probably take the defeat, it's more principled!! I know that sounds soft, but I don't think I could face another Pseudo-Tory as a Labour PM, the crushing disappointment would be too much!!

The current procedures are set up to catch non EU nationals entering the uK via a current EU country. The fact that Ireland would still be in the EU while the UK will not be (in 2 or more years time by the way) doesnt change the fact that checks will have to be made as they are currently done.

Or do you honestly think there's no checks on non EU nationals entering the UK from an EU country now?

Based on my experience, I doubt if any more than one journey in tens of thousands between Ireland and the UK is checked. That is definitely going to change. And given the nature of the Brexit campaign, I have little faith that the regime will be anything other than in one direction, i.e. making travel between the two countries more difficult. On what do you base the idea that little will change? The centuries of friendship between our respective nations?

Sadly I would agree with that. This is another problem with our first past the post system. In a more fairly represented parliament, corbyn could continue to represent his views honestly and take the share of Parliament that it rewarded. As it is, he'll either take the worst kicking in living memory for a Labour leader or he'll end up being forced out or needing to be less honest.

And there we go. Sturgeon basically saying Scotland will be looking for a second referendum.

She can lay legislation in the Scottish Parliament all she wants but it'll be Westminster that gives the yay or nay whether it goes ahead.

And, she'll haveto show Scotland can satisfy the chapters to enter the EU so she's looking at around 10 years into the future at the earliest.