You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Klopp another Rodgers?

JohnnyH

Your implying that it's the fans who are to blame for our general malaise as a club, saying the fans hated Rafa which is just complete bullshit by the way. Rafa was universally loved by the fans, nobody could argue otherwise, it wasn't the fans handing Rafa his p45 outside Anfield, it was the two pieces of shit behind the scenes and you know that.

Your trying to shoehorn Rodgers into the equation by saying it's a similar scenario, when Rafa won us the champions league, got to another final, finished 2nd, won the FA cup. I'm sure if Rodgers won all that he'd be revered and treated differently. i'm sure if Rodgers won the league last season he wouldn't be getting the stick he is now and he'd be universally backed, but then again he didn't, so we're into the realm of hypotheticals.

I personally would back him, but not at the expense of Ancelotti or Klopp, if they are interested in managing us then it's a no brainer. Brendan might end up a very good manager, he may end up a Steve Bruce character where he moves from one club to the next talking about new "projects".

But this season is not acceptable and it's not the fans or the people that have jumped on his back in the last month or so that are the problem, it's the clusterfuck within the club of stupid transfer strategy's, useless negotiator's, terrible signings, managers not rotating the squad effectively, players playing out of position and just the general incompetence of it all.

We are through the looking glass here, Boss.

Rafa was universally loved by the fans? If you think that you are truly deluded

Rafa is loved by the fans, sure some turned on him at the end because of the 7th placed finish, but how can you be hated if you've delivered Istanbul in 2005, the FA cup in 2006, a champions league final in 2007, champions league qualification in 2008, 86 points in 2009 and one bad year in 2010? he was not hated by any stretch of the imagination.

Rafa is loved by the fans, sure some turned on him at the end because of the 7th placed finish, but how can you be hated if you've delivered Istanbul in 2005, the FA cup in 2006, a champions league final in 2007, champions league qualification in 2008, 86 points in 2009 and one bad year in 2010? he was not hated by any stretch of the imagination.

What? There's plenty of our fans who despise him. A number of them on here. The properly hate him and love seeing him fail now.

I find it amazing that people can hate him, especially when you look at where we've been since he went. But they do. And lots of them do.

• Upvote 2

half the fans wanted rafa to stay the other half wanted him gone and a lot hated his guts for siding with hicks during the civil war.

Yeah i can see that, but he didn't really take sides publicly, he tried to maintain complete neutrality to preserve his job for as long as possible. He had to deal with managers being sounded out behind the scenes to replace him mostly by Gillett so the trust was gone there. He could of left at any stage to Madrid but chose to stay put amongst all this bullshit so he should really be commended for that. 

I'm probably alone in thinking this, but I think a lot of people overstate the importance of fans forums. The way I see them, I think they're a place to blow off steam. I certainly don't regard them as the barometer for fandom. We've all said stuff in the heat of the moment concerning the match that we don't even believe ourselves but whereas in the pub afterwards it's usually forgotten or if you're in the company of mates and can easily hold your hands up and admit you've been chatting crap, what you type online can't be erased and if you're a particularly proud person or one who's cultivated a persona (which defo goes on, despite protestations), then there's no chance you're going to back down.

As I said, I certainly don't regard the barometer of supporters' mindset to be measured by a 50+ people on internet forum. It's like walking into a pub in a city and hearing open racist abuse and therefore concluding that the whole city of thousands of others is racist.

I'm not saying that those who go the match are the only true fans, but I do think the matchgoing fans are the ones with the most sway. With regard to Rafa, even if that support was split towards the end, there were no still no dissenting songs or acts of disgruntlement. If 40k+ people turned up to the match and started calling for his head in unison, you can guarantee that would attract more attention than a few dozen people posting online.

Virtually everyone I speak to are of the same opinion about Rafa even if they felt it was time for him to go: that he did wonderful things for the club and deserves respect. Same as when Ged was approaching the end and the fanbase was similarly split. The only manager I've heard everyone of the same opinion of is Hodgson and lo and behold, he was the one Liverpool manager I've ever heard be subject to audible dissent at the match. The very fact that Rafa never suffered this suggests to me that even people who wanted him out recognised that he was a good man trying his best for the club, but one whose time was coming to an end.

'Hate' is one strong word to throw out there, especially in relation to a man who won us a fifth European Cup. One or two loons- as every club has- may indeed 'hate' him, but to bandy about the idea that he's 'hated' by a significant section of the fanbase is total bollocks, in my opinion.

• Upvote 4

I'm probably alone in thinking this, but I think a lot of people overstate the importance of fans forums. The way I see them, I think they're a place to blow off steam. 

Fucking hell, and you haven't even read this evening's offering on the MF. It's like a fucking Fast Show sketch.

Yeah i can see that, but he didn't really take sides publicly, he tried to maintain complete neutrality to preserve his job for as long as possible. He had to deal with managers being sounded out behind the scenes to replace him mostly by Gillett so the trust was gone there. He could of left at any stage to Madrid but chose to stay put amongst all this bullshit so he should really be commended for that.

I'm a fan of Rafa and what he achieved here, but the above is a misrepresentation of events.

Rafa committed suicide in his final year here by being constantly at war with Board, if he had kept his head down he would have still been here when FSG arrived. Broughton was quoted as saying it was the clearest case of employee constructive dismissal he had ever seen.

The reason why the Board sounded out other managers was because Rafa was flirting with Inter Milan as he agitated for more money for himself and the transfer pot. Fair play to him, but approaching alternatives was common sense for the Board in the circumstances.

He stayed because he secured what was then one of the best managerial pay packets in football.

What is beyond question is that he was, and is, a class act. Rodgers does not come close, Klopp is between the two.

• Upvote 1

What? There's plenty of our fans who despise him. A number of them on here. The properly hate him and love seeing him fail now.

I find it amazing that people can hate him, especially when you look at where we've been since he went. But they do. And lots of them do.

The TARTs were a small, but loud set of people who loved to tell the rest of us anyone could do better than Rafa.

He is loved and held in high regard by the vast majority of Liverpool fans imo.

• Upvote 1

There was no such thing as the 'TARTs'. It was just a group of knobs on the internet who were given that name as a piss-take. You could ask anyone outside of TLW what TART stood for and they'd look at you like you were soft.

Seriously, you need to drop it with that TART shit, mate, as if they were an offshoot of Al Qaeda. It's very boring and a little strange and embarrassing that a grown man bangs on about it regularly.

• Upvote 3

There was no such thing as the 'TARTs'. It was just a group of knobs on the internet who were given that name as a piss-take. You could ask anyone outside of TLW what TART stood for and they'd look at you like you were soft.

Seriously, you need to drop it with that TART shit, mate, as if they were an offshoot of Al Qaeda. It's very boring and a little strange and embarrassing that a grown man bangs on about it regularly.

Dead right. 

They coined The Anti Rafa Taliban themselves. Some of them even even joined The Woyalists, but that died down rather quickly ...

Er you're correct in pointing out why he should be remembered fondly and should have been more appreciated at the time, but have you never heard of irrational hatred? There was/is a lot of that with Rafa for some reason and not just on forums but in real life too.