You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arise Sir Jordan?

Bjornebye

Jordan Henderson - Liverpool Football Club Captain. 

Let that sink in......

I'm a big fan of Henderson. Great energy , committed and talented. He does have massive floors (goalscoring being a huge one, or lack of goals) plus he is currently being wasted on the right hand side as a wing-back. 

We have been fortunate that for the last 12 years we have had a captain capable of grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck and winning it cos us alone. Dragging us through a match and inspiring us to victory. Istanbul, Gerrard Cup Final, Countless Derby's..... Has Henderson ever been the stand out player for us? Man of the match a few times yes but a head and shoulders above the rest performance? Not for me. Again, i'm not trying to knock henderson, he would be one of the first names on our team sheet if I was manager but what is that really saying? Is it a massive compliment or could you point to the lack of quality in our squad and say "thats why"

Maybe the club could use the captains armband as a bargaining tool? Who can fill the role Gerrard will leave behind from outside the club? I do struggle to think of too many truly inspiring skippers left in world football. Unfortunately we are a club that has relied on one and we simply don't have the squad not to have that one player capable of turning things round on his own. 

Is it realistic to think of Vidal? Schweinsteiger? Reus? Modric? Or even Hummells? A final fling for Xavi who isn't playing much for Barca anymore? 

No, no it isn't realistic. The whole squad needs (yet another) over-haul and apart from Gerrard being around being a pull for other players to join us, but he is also the kind of player I can see the likes of Sterling thinking, well he has gone and he was the best here so why should I stay? 

Worrying times. Not just because of the quality we are losing (albeit he should have been used more sparingly) but the aura of a man head and shoulders above the rest. 

Arise Sir Jordan. 

Yikes.

Well, conventional wisdom this season suggests that Gerrard has pushed him out of his best position, so at least he should have that luxury from next season.

I seem to remember the armband weighing so heavily on Sami that Houllier gave it to Stevie, and I'm hardly offending Henderson by suggesting Hyppia was/is a stronger character than he.

Bar a new signing getting it - which would be pretty risky - it's hard to see anybody else. Skrtel would be about the pick of the rest for me.

Sakho was captain at PSG, and has captained all levels of youth football for France. He needs to be a bigger part of the team for that to happen though.

Lallana is another candidate. If he has a decent season with us, I would be interested in seeing Henderson and Lallana doing some kind of dual thing. Like how Carra was just as much a voice on the pitch as Gerrard was when they were together, but probably a lot less intimidating than Carra and Stevie.

Hard to see Hendo as our long term skipper. I think we' need to move for some influential players either now or in summer.

I don't think we'll look for a direct replacement for Stevie. How could we?

It could be we do what we did when replacing Rushie and bought a number of players Barnes, Beardo, Houghton, Aldo.

I think it's actually an exciting time if you can be optimistic despite the current insanity. We have Hendo, Coutinho, Sterling and Sturridge. (and even Lallana, who's looking better now, or at least was doing before he got injured again.)

They've had a couple of seasons to get going, and shortly Stevie will be gone, which is more or less going to make them have to step up more. (I think this will inspire someone like Jordan, and he's probably been preparing for this mentally quite a lot. To captain this club must change you a lot as a person and Jordan seems like a genuinely sound guy with a lot of footballing ability.) If even two of them can become capable of what they are actually capable of then we could have a lot of good times ahead.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how we do, and that Swansea game is something that is going to stick in my mind quite a bit as well. If Rodgers can just remember that game and try to get back to trying something like that out more often, things could be a lot better than many are fearing.

There's also Moreno, who is well capable of being a fucking brilliant player, and Lazar who has a lot of potential, Sakho, Manquillo, etc. I think things have just been badly over the top negative and even if this season costs Rodgers his job, we don't actually have a shit squad at all, in fact I think we're far from having that problem. We just have a group of young and very talented players that are taking time to find their way. And some of them soon will do.

• Upvote 4