You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strategy Games PC

Lee909

Downloaded endless legend the other day, my aging laptop is struggling at times but it really is excellent. A turn based game with a lot of RPG elements in there and an emphasis on story. If you can put up with the rehashed fantasy elements it's quality.

Been playing endless legends all week. Took me a while and a lot of aborted games to understand what was going on(I don't read manuals) but i got it in the end. Not entirely sure what to make of it. On my last game no one attacked me and I dusted myself to victory. Bit boring if I am honest. Switched the latest game to hard and so far it's a bit more of challenge. Though that might be only because my cultist neighbours seem determined to convert my villages and then get upset when I repossess them. Need to play a few more games before coming to a conclusion but it is definitely promising.

Personally my favourite strategy game is age of wonders shadow magic. Old game but perfect for playing on a laptop. That's probably one of the best things about strategy games. Most games even when new aren't that graphic intensive. Worst thing about strategy games is often you know you have won long before the game has finished. The early to mid game is always more exciting/challenging. 

Ok - Any particular period in history? Do you prefer squad\unit level combat or divisonal?

If you like WW2 overall national strategy then Hearts of Iron is the best, but wait for Hearts of Iron 4 which is due out next Spring.

Hoi 4 - can't wait.

• 1 month later...

Total Annihilation - Best RTS ever made with plenty of mods around which add tonnes of stuff.  Will run on about anything now days.

Supreme Commander Forged Alliance - Spiritual successor to the above and a real quality game again with plenty of mods around.

Xenonauts - X-Com re-make.  Stays pretty much true to the original with slightly updated graphics.

The Settlers II - 10th Anniversary - Settlers 2 re-make like the above updated graphics and true to the original.  Quality game.

Ultimate General Gettysburg - Civil war strategy game.  Supposed to be really good.

Is there anything similar to Elite that isn't online play?

Yeah they took it out of Elite Dangerous. Doubt you would be bumping into real people that often but I understand your hatred of people on the internet.

There are a few other similar things coming out like Star Citizen

https://robertsspaceindustries.com

For now though, there is the free Pioneer

http://pioneerspacesim.net/#&panel1-2

Any decent sci fi/strategy PC games, anything like Elite on the C64 used to be (but obviously a step up graphics wise)?

Space Rangers HD is a space trading/combat sim that is similar to Elite.

It's currently available in the latest Bundle Stars bundle along with 9 other games for £3.99

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/killer-bundle-2/

You also get a few other decent strategy games in there too including Hegemony Rome, Reprisal Universe and Blitzkrieg 1 & 2!

Steal.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not really a grand strategy guy (don't have the patience for it) but for those who are, the complete Hearts of Iron III is available with loads of DLCs for £3.99 at Bundle Stars:

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/hearts-of-iron-iii-complete-bundle/

That retails for 30 quid on the Steam store, so 4 quid is a hefty discount

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...