You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Star Wars Films

Section_31

Disappointed if I'm honest. Thought the plot lines were all re-hashed from the the previous films. Harrison Ford was good and that was about it for me. Oh and the new droid thing was ace but I enjoyed it no more than I would watching the one of the earlier films yet again, Predictable sequels to follow, 

Anyone get the feeling the film will open with Rey getting fried with force lightning by Luke? I reckon he's gone nuts.

Also, it's a shame some of the plot points from the film went under the radar. The star system destroyed by Star killer base was the new republic capital by all accounts, which changes the whole dynamic.

The first order will be fully on the offensive in the next film. I reckon Snoke will be 4ft tall too, like an evil Yoda.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I get the feeling Ren is pretending to be evil to get close to snoke to kill him, hence the killing of his father and the "help me" line. Wasn't Vader/Anakin supposed to have the one to bring balance to the force? So maybe Ren saying "I will finish what you started" means bringing total balance, if you will?

Maybe I'm just chatting from my hoop.

No way Luke has gone to the Dark Side but he's probably had a crisis of faith. I agree that Snoke will be tiny, it'll be interesting to see who he actually is since, in 30 years, he's reassembled the Empire's remnants into the First Order, destroyed Luke's Jedi academy, built a bigger Death Star and is handy with the Force. Someone that shit-hot would surely have been prominent during the Rebellion.

Adam Driver did a better job with the conflict of light and dark than the entire prequel trilogy. The only thing to make it out of those films with credit was Obi-Wan's beard.

Yeah not sure Luke will have gone to the dark side but I reckon he might be a loon. Going by the way a few of the expanded universe plots have been adopted, he may be like joruus cabaoth, an insane Jedi in exile. I just don't think it will be as clear cut as rey turning up and being trained up.

Yeah, there's a lot of fan speculation that snoke is Darth Plageis (sp) the master who palpatine supposedly killed.

If he's an alien that will be interesting, as the empire was supposed to be humans centric.

It's not an aristocratic universe, that was prequels bullshit. The original was about a farm boy for fuck's sake

Guinness got an Oscar nomination for Kenobi. Cushing was so good as Tarkin they're resurrecting him in CGI for the next Star Wars film. Even Leia had a British accent for half of the first movie. 

Guinness got an Oscar nomination for Kenobi. Cushing was so good as Tarkin they're resurrecting him in CGI for the next Star Wars film. Even Leia had a British accent for half of the first movie.

Guinness was always slagging his lines off saying they were shit, he was infamously snobbish about star wars, Shakespeare it was not - nor was it ever intended to be.

Can't think of a single monologue or piece of dialogue from any star wars film I'd consider in any way high brow or complex. It's a space western with British people playing baddies because we make good cunts.

"And he agreed with me. What I didn't tell him was that I just couldn't go on speaking those bloody awful, banal lines. I'd had enough of the mumbo jumbo." - Guinness talking about encouraging Lucas to kill off Kenobi

"I shrivel up every time someone mentions Star Wars to me."

"Apart from the money, I regret having embarked on the film. I like them well enough, but it's not an acting job, the dialogue - which is lamentable - keeps being changed and only slightly improved, and I find myself old and out of touch with the young" - during filming of Star Wars

"The only really disappointing performance was Tony Daniels as the robot - fidgety and over-elaborately spoken. Not that any of the cast can stand up to the mechanical things around them" - on the performances in Star Wars

"It's a pretty staggering film as spectacle, and technically brillant. Exciting, very noisy and warm hearted. The battle scenes at the end go on for 5 minutes too long, I feel, and some of the dialogue is excruciating and much of it is lost in noise, but it remains a vivid experience" - having seen the completed Star Wars for the first time

"Science fiction - which gives me pause - but it is to be directed by Paul Lucas, who did American Graffiti, which makes me think I should. Big part. Fairytale rubbish, but could be interesting" - while considering doing Star Wars

"I liked him. The conversation was divided culturally by 8,000 miles and 30 years; but I think we might understand each other if I can get past his intensity" - on his first lunch meeting with George Lucas

A new hope was about as unoriginal as a story gets. Wizard and young prince storm the castle to save a princess and fight the black knight.

I agree it needs to go its own way and hopefully it will. This film needed to just reestablish the star wars universe as something that wasn't a total embarrassment though and it's done that.

• Upvote 3

Lucas was influenced and researched multiple mythologies and religions when constructing the saga. Abrams was solely influenced by Lucas. Star Wars needed a new mythology, not a facsimile of something deeply original (at the time).

Not sure if a new mythology could be constructed within a 30 year time line from the end of Jedi to the start of Awakens though mate?

Edited by KMD7

I'd argue it was worse than the prequels because it was so derivative. I want to erase it from my memory.

Will go back to watching the originals and reading the EU for my Star Wars fix.

Worse than the prequels? Good god!

• Upvote 1