You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

new united confirmed

Van Gaal named United manager
- Club appoints Dutch national coach, who won multiple titles in Holland, Spain, Germany
- Ryan Giggs to be assistant manager
- Frans Hoek and Marcel Bout join as assistant coaches

Louis van Gaal will take over as manager of Manchester United from the 2014/15 season. He has signed a three-year contract.

Louis, 62, has managed at the top level of European football for over 20 years and in that time has won domestic titles and domestic cups in three countries, as well as the UEFA Champions League, the UEFA Cup, an Intercontinental Cup, two UEFA Super Cups and domestic Super Cups in Holland and Germany.

He will take up his post after the FIFA World Cup, where he will manage the Dutch national team.

Ryan Giggs, English football's most decorated footballer and the United player with most appearances in the club's history, has been appointed as assistant manager. Ryan took charge of the first team for the last four matches of the 2013/14 season.

Announcing the appointments, Ed Woodward said: "In Louis van Gaal, we have secured the services of one of the outstanding managers in the game today. He has achieved many things in his career to date and Old Trafford provides him with a fitting stage on which to write new chapters in the Manchester United story.

I've got a bad feeling about this.

Hopefully the inevitable issues with Rooney will be coupled with a marginalising of the 'Class of 92', fall-outs with the top brass, waterboarding Ferguson in his lunch hour and finally a sale of the club to North Korea for target practice by John McCririck and sons.

After Moyes, it genuinely doesn't seem too far-fetched to me.

I've got a great feeling about it, classic short termism, fine for the chelsea school of 2-3 year management, but what they need is (dare i say it) a Rodgers. Someone that could come in with radically new ideas and get all the players on board, someone that could remove the stench of Fergie's influence, and doesn't pander to the over entitled sensibility of their players.

What they should be doing is getting rid of these players that feel that sense of entitlement and bring in group of young hungry players that can usher in a new era. The whole Gigg's assistant, class of 92, Ferguson on the board thing is a disaster waiting to happen.

• Upvote 2

The lack of effort that's gone into the whole thing is pretty astounding, you get the impression it's simply been a case of he's 'a name' and 'he's available'.

The mancs fans will be their undoing, it's the perfect example of the Platonic 'beast handler'.

• Upvote 1

Bossy, I think you've hit the nail on the head there, mate.

When Kenny was sacked and I heard Van Gaal's name mentioned, I wasn't sold. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great manager and his CV is up there with the best, but I felt he wasn't what we needed at the time. For me, the defeat to Chelsea in the Cup final was a real low point because it was painfully obvious Kenny was going to get the bullet and I genuinely had no idea where we'd go as a club because the job was looking like a poisoned chalice.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't exactly jumping through hoops when Rodgers was appointed, but I was in favour of getting a young,  hungry manager in to build the club in his image. We were facing a real root and branch job and I didn't think a fella in his 60s who'd really only accept the job on a giant wedge and would realistically stick around for 2-3 years was what we needed.

Someone like Van Gaal is a great choice if you're a club like Madrid or Barca and have the foundations in place for success and need a stop gap in place to keep things ticking over for a year or two, but there's no way he's in it for a long term rebuilding job. He's even admitted it himself this will be his swansong.

I'm not trying to discredit the fella or his achievements simply because he's joined that shower, but he's blatantly not what they need at this moment in time. Not that I'm complaining, like.

Oh, and first kick off with Ferguson before Christmas.

• Upvote 3