You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

Hasn't reached his full potential here but I don't think he's been lazy or unprofessional. He's just made a smart career decision going to a club where he'll win trophies and make a nice salary. Got no problem with it.

Would you question his mentality to put 100% in for the remaining 6 months?

From my own personal experience once my / or a colleagues notice is in I've / they've mentally checked out. it'd be fair to assume the same applies to footballers.

Of course we don't see him in training but if his performances drop off in matches even slightly then calls for him to be dropped would be fair.

So what would happen if we got Juventus if we both get through in the Euro Cup??

How could you have a player starting for you against a team he's going to join?

The only option would be to suspend players from playing and therefore you'd have situations where the club is punished for a player wanting away. It's why players shouldn't be able to sign until after their contracts are up without some sort of compensation.

So what would happen if we got Juventus if we both get through in the Euro Cup??

How could you have a player starting for you against a team he's going to join?

Gotze played for Dortmund against the club he was joining in the champs league final. Must be allowed.

We can easily improve on Can. Not one bit arsed about him coming off the wage bill.

You might be able to carry one midfielder but never three.   At least Lallana has the excuse of only coming back from injury and clearly needing time to get fit.  Can won't be missed and Milner needs to head out the door with him.

Tired of watching sub par midfields tbh, bar a little spell last year when Henderson, Wijnaldum and Lallana formed a good partnership, it's been a shitfest for years.

Didn’t think he was all that today. Slow and didn’t take hold of the game. Our whole midfield was poor as a unit. Just didn’t seem to have anything there.

We’ve seen Can do some good things, but with him not signing a new deal it’s too easy for fans to say he’s phoning it in and going through the motions. It may be a straightforward dip in form, but given the circumstances it’s not what I think. Unfortunately our midfield options are so thin that we may need to continue to call on him, but I’m frustrated we haven’t seen Grujic come in to show us what he can do.

Maybe the quality is there, or maybe he’s just a bit short at the top level. I haven’t seen enough to form a view. The bits I have seen of him show a player who is hungry, puts his foot in, and has an eye for goal.

I’d rather see him get game time than Emre Can at this stage.

• Upvote 1

Didn’t think he was all that today. Slow and didn’t take hold of the game. Our whole midfield was poor as a unit. Just didn’t seem to have anything there.

We’ve seen Can do some good things, but with him not signing a new deal it’s too easy for fans to say he’s phoning it in and going through the motions. It may be a straightforward dip in form, but given the circumstances it’s not what I think. 

The difference between Can's "best" and "worst", IMHO, isn't a huge gap.

We’ve seen Can do some good things, but with him not signing a new deal it’s too easy for fans to say he’s phoning it in and going through the motions. It may be a straightforward dip in form, but given the circumstances it’s not what I think. Unfortunately our midfield options are so thin that we may need to continue to call on him, but I’m frustrated we haven’t seen Grujic come in to show us what he can do.

Maybe the quality is there, or maybe he’s just a bit short at the top level. I haven’t seen enough to form a view. The bits I have seen of him show a player who is hungry, puts his foot in, and has an eye for goal.

I’d rather see him get game time than Emre Can at this stage.

At his best there are some peaks - a good/great goal here and there, a lung busting run, more pro activity in looking to make good things happen.

At present I see more of the slowness, and a bit more neat and today business, like he’s not fully giving his best but just marking time.

He tried to showboat a little bit in the corner (I think it was 1-1 at this stage) and he miscontrolled the ball, allowing it to run off the pitch. He started having words with someone in the crowd, presumably someone unhappy with his lack of commitment in terms of his contract or simply pulling him up on his lack of skill. It's hard to separate them as it's likely he wouldn't have got stick if he had already signed a contract. I think he's likely to get more of that and it's likely to have an influence on his decision, I would imagine.

I feel that Can mostly gets a bad rap on here. He's a good midfielder, far from great, and there is significant room for improvement. My concern is that I haven't noticed any significant improvement from him ever since he joined.

He's the only player in the squad to have played in all 5 Christmas games so he is bound to be jaded.

I saw someone describe him as "sluggish", and that's bang on imo, certainly atm. Still though, I do think he gives us far more in midfield than any of our other options bar Coutinho and, maybe Ox.

To his credit, I also haven't noticed him dialling it in or any lack of heart, even with all of these Juve shennanigans hanging over him. However, if he is leaving then I would like to see his game time reduced and Grujic given his opportunities instead.

I like what I've seen in Grujic so far, big, strong, mobile, confident, really good in front of goal, he just needs to get fit, stay fit, and stop hanging around with Lovren.

I would be sad to see Can leave on a free, but imo that's not really on him, more the mismanagement by the money men allowing his contract to run down. We should've been getting a tidy fee for him.

• Upvote 1

He tried to showboat a little bit in the corner (I think it was 1-1 at this stage) and he miscontrolled the ball, allowing it to run off the pitch. He started having words with someone in the crowd, presumably someone unhappy with his lack of commitment in terms of his contract or simply pulling him up on his lack of skill. It's hard to separate them as it's likely he wouldn't have got stick if he had already signed a contract. I think he's likely to get more of that and it's likely to have an influence on his decision, I would imagine.

My impression was that he was mouthing off at the linesman as he was clearly fouled but as he didn't go down he never got the foul & subsequently ran the ball out of play.

I think some of the comments are unfair about Can recently, he is a big unit and can therefore seem a bit cumbersome but has had the hardest workload of all of our players over Xmas , has the most successful tackles in the whole Premiership over that period & I have not discerned any lack of effort whatsoever. 

• Upvote 1

People can say what they like about his commitment and performances ( although bar a few things i thought he was decent last night).

But the one he left on Rooney last night was a thing of beauty,Just as he was running past near our box. Rooney went ballistic and ran crying to the ref who fucked him off. He got hooked soon after.

• Upvote 2