You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

So buying from Middlesborough and Watford is not the equivalent of buying from Southampton, Swansea and Sunderland?

How many players are in the Chester team that would go into our first team now? We got Sterling from Milwall didn't we? Am I arsed? No.

When we are selling one of the top 3 players in world and be linked with Bony then I have a problem. I'm quite happy with signing the likes of Lambert and Lallana as long as they are supplemented by real established quality to replace the quality were losing

Yes it was, and yes it does.  Unless you want us to buy nothing but fully formed marquee players from Barcelona or Madrid, the point is still relevant.

See now here is where your point is shite because your dealing in extremes , I don't think we'll buy Messi but I'd like our scouting department to cast the net a bit wider

All the best teams are a sum of all their parts. It really is that simple.

Even the "Galacticos" got beaten plenty of times purely because it was full of selfish cunts.

The reason we won number 5 was down to great team work rather than individuals. If Brendan sees players that will improve the TEAM but are not individual superstars that the Sky Mong generation crave, then I'm all with Brendan on this one.

• Upvote 4

All the best teams are a sum of all their parts. It really is that simple.

Even the "Galacticos" got beaten plenty of times purely because it was full of selfish cunts.

The reason we won number 5 was down to great team work rather than individuals. If Brendan sees players that will improve the TEAM but are not individual superstars that the Sky Mong generation crave, then I'm all with Brendan on this one.

Brendan wanted to sign Sanchez, the closest thing to an individual superstar available.

Guess he's a sky mong then.

Also as you are with him logic says you must also be a sky mong. Logic.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

See now here is where your point is shite because your dealing in extremes , I don't think we'll buy Messi but I'd like our scouting department to cast the net a bit wider

see now?  

The point I was trying to make was that just because we buy players from less high profile, less successful, or teams from a lower league doesn't mean that the players are incapable of operating at a higher level.  This point is still as relevant as it ever was.  So if our wide scouting net includes lower league teams or less glamorous European sides, I will not fret too much.  What you seem to be asking for is the net only to cover high profile clubs with players already identified by FM.

see now?

The point I was trying to make was that just because we buy players from less high profile, less successful, or teams from a lower league doesn't mean that the players are incapable of operating at a higher level. This point is still as relevant as it ever was. So if our wide scouting net includes lower league teams or less glamorous European sides, I will not fret too much. What you seem to be asking for is the net only to cover high profile clubs with players already identified by FM.

Dear oh dear stringers. The FM cliche?

• Upvote 1

I hate to point out the obvious, but why's anyone writing out posts on the disappointment of potentially replacing Suarez with Bony as if it's a serious proposition the club is considering when it's been linked in the most tenuous ways, he couldn't be a more different type of striker, Rodgers loves clever, skilful, versatile "technicians" so will be well, well aware we need one to replace Suarez hence trying to buy Sanchez*, we already have Lambert and are trying to sign Origi for 2015 who would seem to tick a fairly similar box.

"Brendan Rodgers wouldn't take the job Tom."

"Darn it John, Tony Pulis it is then."

see now?  

The point I was trying to make was that just because we buy players from less high profile, less successful, or teams from a lower league doesn't mean that the players are incapable of operating at a higher level.  This point is still as relevant as it ever was.  So if our wide scouting net includes lower league teams or less glamorous European sides, I will not fret too much.  What you seem to be asking for is the net only to cover high profile clubs with players already identified by FM.

Players are capable of operating at a higher level if they're bought young and nurtured into the culture of the club, like Rush was. But that was a long time ago and it doesn't work like that anymore. Ibe was bought from Wycombe, Sterling QPR but they were 14-15 year old kids.

There are no early 20's players at any of the sides like Watford, Chester that would hang in our first team, the game has drastically changed and that argument isn't relevant anymore.

Boss is spot on. Shall we bring the bootroom back too? And let players have a swift half after the match?

Get real. Yes, you can take players from lesser teams and improve them, absolutely. But there is a reason why people pay for pedigree. Players established at the top level have already proven their talent, are more able to cope with the pressure and more likely to deliver at the standard required.

What the hell do our scouts do all day.

Boss is spot on. Shall we bring the bootroom back too? And let players have a swift half after the match?

Get real. Yes, you can take players from lesser teams and improve them, absolutely. But there is a reason why people pay for pedigree. Players established at the top level have already proven their talent, are more able to cope with the pressure and more likely to deliver at the standard required.

What the hell do our scouts do all day.

Bit muddled that for me. We're pretty likely signing Can, Markovic and Origi. All 20 year Olds we've obviously scouted as being potentially top class. It doesn't take much scouting to sign already proven players like Sanchez.

Plenty of Liverpool legends came from similar places to Southampton:

77 EC final team

Clemence (Scunthorpe)
Neal (Northampton)
Jones (Wrexham)
Smith (Liverpool)
Kennedy (Arsenal)
Hughes (Blackpool)
Keegan (Scunthorpe)
Case (Liverpool)
Heighway (Liverpool)
Callaghan (Liverpool)
McDermott (Newcastle)
McDonnell (Bury)
Fairclough (Liverpool)
Johnson (Ipswich)
Waddle (Halifax)
Lindsay (Bury)

78 EC final team

Clemence (Scunthorpe)
Neal (Northampton)
Hansen (Partick)
Thompson (Liverpool)
Hughes (Blackpool)
Dalglish (Celtic)
Case (Liverpool)
Fairclough (Liverpool)
McDermott (Newcastle)
Souness (MIddlesbrough)
Heighway (Liverpool)
Ogrizovic (Chesterfield)
Jones (Wrexham)
Irwin (Liverpool)
Callaghan (Liverpool)

81 EC final team

Clemence (Scunthorpe)
Neal (Northampton)
Kennedy (Newcastle)
Thompson (Liverpool)
Kennedy (Arsenal)
Hansen (Partick)
Dalglish (Celtic)
Lee (Liverpool)
Johnson (Ipswich)
Hughes (Blackpool)
McDermott (Newcastle)
Souness (MIddlesbrough)
Case (Liverpool)
Ogrizovic (Chesterfield)
Irwin (Liverpool)
Money (Fulham)
Gayle (Liverpool)

84 EC final team

Grobbelaar (Vancouver)
Neal (Northampton)
Kennedy (Newcastle)
Lawrenson (Brighton)
Whelan (Home Farm)
Hansen (Partick)
Dalglish (Celtic)
Lee (Liverpool)
Johnston (Middlesbrough)
Souness (MIddlesbrough)
Robinson (Brighton)
Bolder (Sheff Weds)
Nicol (Ayr)
Hodgson (Middlesbrough)
Gillespie (Coventry)

05 CL final

Dudek (Feyenoord)
Finnan (Fulham)
Carragher (Liverpool)
Hyypia (Willem)
Traore (Laval)
Alonso (Sociedad)
Garcia (Barcelona)
Gerrard (Liverpool)
Riise (Monaco)
Kewell (Leeds)
Baros (Banik)
Carson (Leeds)
Josemi (Malaga)
Hamann (Newcastle)
Nunez (Real)
Biscan (Zagreb)
Cisse (Auxerre)
Smicer (Lens)
Burrows (West Brom)
Bjornbey (Rosenborg)
Smicer (

Other famous Liverpool players (Signed after 1960, in order of appearances and more than 100 caps)

Rush (Chester)
Lawler (Liverpool)
Yeats (Dundee)
St John (Motherwell)
Peter Thompson (Preston)
Reina (Villa Real)
Fowler (Liverpool)
Kuyt (Feyernoord)
Milne (Preston)
Murphy (Crewe)
Skrtel (Zenit)
Jones (Crewe)
Leiva (Gremio)
Stevenson (Rangers)
Agger (Brondby)
Hall (Liverpool)
Heskey (Leicester)
Lloyd (Bristol Rovers)
Henchoz (Blackburn)
Strong (Arsenal)
Berger (Dortmund)

Owen (Liverpool)
Cormack (Forest)
Wheeler (Bolton)
Johnson (Portsmouth)
Babb (Coventry)
Thomas (Arsenal)
Venison (Sunderland)
Ruddock (Spurs)
Staunton (Dundalk)
Babel (Ajax)
Torres (Atletico)
Harkness (Carlisle)
McAteer (Bolton)
Mascherano (West Ham)
Crouch (Southampton)
Aurelio (Valencia)
Banayoun (West Ham)
Jackson (Orient)
Suarez (Ajax)
Henderson (Sunderland)
Walters (Rangers)
Boersma (Liverpool)
Walsh (Luton)
Evans (Wolves)
Wark (Ipswich)
Aldridge (Oxford)
Westerveld (Vitesse)

Clearly you don't have to come from a top club, however, the REAL skill was Liverpool were once great at spotting the talent early (or where other clubs couldn't).

Buying the ready made product is the easier option and something that most clubs have succumbed to. Maybe there are added pressures in modern football that cause that (the need to keep earning via CL??) but talent IS and always will be out there...  finding it is another matter.

• Upvote 1

Bit muddled that for me. We're pretty likely signing Can, Markovic and Origi. All 20 year Olds we've obviously scouted as being potentially top class. It doesn't take much scouting to sign already proven players like Sanchez.

That's true. I'm talking crap because I'm annoyed. Sorry.

I still think our scouts are shite though, going off their record since being here.

Every fucking bastard ( I hope ) knows we must replace Suarez with 1 or 2 top players if possible. Throwing tantrums when any fucking name is pulled from a hat by some pimply ononist sitting on his laptop writing for FootyCunt.Com is beyond me. The transfer window has been open a month. can we wait a little bit longer for the Kanwaresque drivel and just maybe, see what happens. If we sign no one or if we sigh shit I won't be happy either. Look wat we id last window Merrrrrr ! Hopefully this summer will be better. Sanchez did not want to come here, why offer him crazy money to ? If he turned up and didn't put the yards in we would be crying about how much he's on for fuck sake. I know it's a football forum, I know it's about discussion but fucking hell. It's like a menopausal bitch fest without the blood. 

Here's a link from someone I just made up who knows no one at the club because he doesn't exist. £20m for Wickham plus Borini. Or £30m for Reus plus Alex Curran.

• Upvote 1

Most of the PL scouting looks iffy - how many lads have come through PL clubs in the last 10 years and gone on to be considered world class?

Not many.

Gareth Bale - and most had him down a crap 5 years ago, He wasn't even on the radar of potential greats.

I'm struggling to think of another!

Fair point. Sad state of affairs for the Home Nations.