You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

I can remember arguing with Everton fans over that lad. They believed he was world class.

He looked 'half decent' at Everton. He's been found out and will fall down the leagues now.

In fairness, he ran the show over two Champions League qualifiers for Liege when we scraped through to the group stage in 2008. He is not a bad player by any means, in the right system. However the sight of him in a Liverpool shirt was chilling.

Bollox to it.

This replacing Suarez shit is too bloody hard. Even looking at the World Cup, the only forwards that would come close are Messi & James Rodriguez. We ain't getting either of those. As a goal scorer, Muller is brilliant. Don't think he'd suit us though.

Ergo, we keep Suarez, and dry hump the league into submission.

QED.

People worry and our last few summers are cause for worrying I just feel like there's no need to reach for the razor blades just yet. As for Sanchez maybe he didn't fancy taking over Suarez mantle, maybe th pressure will be less in London. A lot of foreigners think of London as England. Like most Londoners.

One persons "reaching for the razor blades", is another persons vocalising concerns. As for Sanchez, maybe he fancied going to the team that appear in the knock out stages of the CL year after year? Maybe he fancies going to the team that have been in the top 4 for the last 20 years? 

Maybe the mediocrity and collapse Arsenal are (semi-correctly) accused of every year would be a decent career for most players? The 9 year drought has been a bit of an anomaly, and I don't think they'll be waiting that long for the next trophy?

Maybe our ridiculous journey last season and our attacking all hands on deck approach was slightly lost on foreign players who weren't supporting us?

There are lots of factors to consider. 

• Upvote 1

One persons "reaching for the razor blades", is another persons vocalising concerns. As for Sanchez, maybe he fancied going to the team that appear in the knock out stages of the CL year after year? Maybe he fancies going to the team that have been in the top 4 for the last 20 years? 

Maybe the mediocrity and collapse Arsenal are (semi-correctly) accused of every year would be a decent career for most players? The 9 year drought has been a bit of an anomaly, and I don't think they'll be waiting that long for the next trophy?

Maybe our ridiculous journey last season and our attacking all hands on deck approach was slightly lost on foreign players who weren't supporting us?

There are lots of factors to consider. 

Maybe.

I can't understand why you'd want to sign for Arsenal over Liverpool. Unless Song and Fabregas have sold it to him or the London factor?

Arsenal have an established style that is raved about around the world. A lot of current players will have grown up watching the amazing Wenger teams of 10/15 years ago and the invincibles etc.

They have a state of the art stadium that is packed out every week, one of the most well respected managers in the game, the finances to become an absolute Goliath in the next 5/10 years and have qualified for the champions league every year since time was invented. Add in the London factor and there you have it.

All of that shit might mean fuck all to us but it doesn't take a genius to see why Arsenal are attractive.

• Upvote 2

Arsenal have an established style that is raved about around the world. A lot of current players will have grown up watching the amazing Wenger teams of 10/15 years ago and the invincibles etc.

They have a state of the art stadium that is packed out every week, one of the most well respected managers in the game, the finances to become an absolute Goliath in the next 5/10 years and have qualified for the champions league every year since time was invented. Add in the London factor and there you have it.

All of that shit might mean fuck all to us but it doesn't take a genius to see why Arsenal are attractive.

Makes you wonder why players would choose City over Arsenal. Couldn't be money surely.Must be the blinding success and the rich history, the stadium and the style.

I agree re Arsenal but I think if City's wallet would have opened Sanchez would have been in Alderley Edge before you could say Wonder Wall. We aren't the attraction we were which is obvious. I personally think he wanted to go to Turin. London was second choice.

Would agree with that and much as we take the piss out of Wenger he has a pretty good track record and his held in high esteem everywhere. Financially secure and certainly the potential is there to rival Chelsea and Citeh. Not hard to sell Arsenal to a foreign player wanting to play in the PL and despite stupid remarks about London being a shithole it is without doubt one of the great cities of the world .Truly cosmopolitan and multi-cultural, For a young ,rich superstar footballer life will be fantastic there.for a few years.

Would agree with that and much as we take the piss out of Wenger he has a pretty good track record and his held in high esteem everywhere. Financially secure and certainly the potential is there to rival Chelsea and Citeh. Not hard to sell Arsenal to a foreign player wanting to play in the PL and despite stupid remarks about London being a shithole it is without doubt one of the great cities of the world .Truly cosmopolitan and multi-cultural, For a young ,rich superstar footballer life will be fantastic there.for a few years.

You're Boris Johnson aren't you .

Thing is, Suarez was not in the same league as Torres when we bought him. He was seen as an up and coming striker with great potential. I see no reason why we can't look for the next striker in that bracket, we don't have to replace like for like.

This might make difficult reading but taking off the Liverpool lenses, its all too true.

We would need a sustained run in the CL to get player of the class/age of Sanchez to take notice.

Same would apply with Fabregas- what sort of plank joins Chelsea? He could have made legend status at United or ourselves- but they take the easy option. 

Chuck in London.

And the small matter of ££££££££££££

From what Im reading of his quotes and the pictures of him at Melwood with what was either is Mum or his Mrs Id be very surprised if Origi signs for us. No great loss, but for him and his bird, Melwood compared to Paris/London/Rome/Milan etc is not much of a contest.

If he did choose us, you know you've got someone who isnt swayed by all that and has the hunger that Rodgers demands.

There's a lot going for Arsenal, no doubt, but LIverpool has a different set of attractions.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

City and Chelsea, regardless of people's opinions, they are still a reasonable bet to win things. In a 15 year career, that's not THAT many seasons to place your bets. And of course, the money is always going to help significantly. It might be a bit flash in the pan, but players can't always wait around for 5 year projects which get scrapped and started over again after 18 months.

Liverpool is a thoroughbred racehorse, but it's currently a bit behind the leaders.

Arsenal's plodding along well in 3rd place and doesn't look like speeding up or slowing down.

Some players will fancy the gamble. Some players will play safe.

Arsenal's a safer bet.

Liverpool is the exciting bet.

Well, that's what I reckon.

• Upvote 1

This might make difficult reading but taking off the Liverpool lenses, its all too true.

We would need a sustained run in the CL to get player of the class/age of Sanchez to take notice.

Same would apply with Fabregas- what sort of plank joins Chelsea? He could have made legend status at United or ourselves- but they take the easy option. 

Chuck in London.

And the small matter of ££££££££££££

From what Im reading of his quotes and the pictures of him at Melwood with what was either is Mum or his Mrs Id be very surprised if Origi signs for us. No great loss, but for him and his bird, Melwood compared to Paris/London/Rome/Milan etc is not much of a contest.

If he did choose us, you know you've got someone who isnt swayed by all that and has the hunger that Rodgers demands.

I'm not convinced about that part. Fans get suckered time and time again with seeming 'special' affection for a club.... only for them to start having an affair with another club 2 years down the line.

It hurts, but I think it's the truth - they are almost all just looking for the best option that suits them at any given time.

• Upvote 1

Stick your Alexis Sanchez up your arse. We're getting Reus! Fucking get in.

Callum Wright ‏@_CallumMWright 10m

NEWS: #LFC did not want Sanchez in Suarez deal. They heard positive signs about the availabilty of Marco Reus from BVB for €35m [Reich]

I am going to be quite pleased if this is true.

Please be true.

I'm not convinced about that part. Fans get suckered time and time again with seeming 'special' affection for a club.... only for them to start having an affair with another club 2 years down the line.

It hurts, but I think it's the truth - they are almost all just looking for the best option that suits them at any given time.

Why would they do anything else?

Boyhood club legends aside (few and far between)

Did you type that with a straight face! 

Last player to sign for City for the "love" he has for the club? Probably Rodney Marsh!

They dont even appear to pretend at City! None of this "Boyhood dream" from Aguero. Or "you dont say no to City" from Navas....JUST GIVE ME THE MONEY!