You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Yevhen Konoplyanka

WhiskeyJar

All those moaning about the Dnipro owner moving the price, the reports ive seen said we agreed the fee, the medical was allowed to happen and the player wanted to come.

For me the only way he would change his mind and not sign the release form has to come down to the way the transfer money was to be paid.

It has to mean that we offered low installments over a long period, in which case either FSG or Ayre are to blame.

The fact that the journos are saying Ayre is not to blame, means the owners wouldnt sanction a lump up front, if thats the case they really are clueless.

FSG remained me from a distance like managers that get brought in to run a company they don't understand. We've all worked in these places. They pick their favourites based on buzzword use and their ability to 'get with the programme', and make sweeping decisions based on half understood nuggets. If the company does good internet trading at Christmas they decide on a whim to make the firm purely online, but when it has a bad day's online trading they take the other tack and fire half the web designers they just hired.

FSG seem like they came in, thought they'd need to top up a half decent squad with some big money signings and kick on from there, but the money went on the wrong players and that brought a radical, ill informed shift in perception of what works and what doesn't. If we bought a £30 million player and he single handedly won us the FA cup you can imagine FSG posing with the cup with Dennis Rodman or some shit going 'yeah yeah marquee signings are the way to gow'.

The fact they were willing to take footy advice off bloggers was always a bad sign for kick off.

We need what we've needed since word go. They need to get all the way in or all the way out, appoint a top football administrator and a manager they're happy with and leave them both to get on with the fucking job.

If we don't get fourth now they only have themselves to blame, the fans shouldn't foget that fact and they should be made aware that they'll be held accountable.

• Upvote 2

FSG remained me from a distance like managers that get brought in to run a company they don't understand. We've all worked in these places. They pick their favourites based on buzzword use and their ability to 'get with the programme', and make sweeping decisions based on half understood nuggets. If the company does good internet trading at Christmas they decide on a whim to make the firm purely online, but when it has a bad day's online trading they take the other tack and fire half the web designers they just hired.

FSG seem like they came in, thought they'd need to top up a half decent squad with some big money signings and kick on from there, but the money went on the wrong players and that brought a radical, ill informed shift in perception of what works and what doesn't. If we bought a £30 million player and he single handedly won us the FA cup you can imagine FSG posing with the cup with Dennis Rodman or some shit going 'yeah yeah marquee signings are the way to gow'.

The fact they were willing to take footy advice off bloggers was always a bad sign for kick off.

We need what we've needed since word go. They need to get all the way in or all the way out, appoint a top football administrator and a manager they're happy with and leave them both to get on with the fucking job.

If we don't get fourth now they only have themselves to blame, the fans shouldn't foget that fact and they should be made aware that they'll be held accountable.

Excellent post. Another issue with the bloggers is that they were instantly downplaying expectations for the new owners because of what we'd been through.

"Just give us a budget on top of sales each year" was continuously trotted out in write-ups of these meetings. 

Mark, they couldn't give a flying fuck about being held accountable by the unwashed hordes. It means nothing. It's not going to affect the price of the club by a cent.

The fans have shown what they can do before when they get pissed off with yanks mate, I wouldn't be so sure. Besides which I'm talking more about any decision to shift the blame to Rodgers should be called out if and when it comes. I'm not his biggest fan by any means but he's been done up like a kipper here and that fact needs to be recognised and remembered if and when the time comes.

Mark, they couldn't give a flying fuck about being held accountable by the unwashed hordes. It means nothing. It's not going to affect the price of the club by a cent.

They probably don't give a flying fuck about the unwashed hordes revolting, Stringy, but Mark's point about not getting fourth is valid for business perhaps. This business is football. If we finished 4th, that would affect the price of the club, wouldn't it? We'd be worth quite a bit more than if we finished 5th, I'd say. 

They probably don't give a flying fuck about the unwashed hordes revolting, Stringy, but Mark's point about not getting fourth is valid for business perhaps. This business is football. If we finished 4th, that would affect the price of the club, wouldn't it? We'd be worth quite a bit more than if we finished 5th, I'd say. 

Value of the club is only important if they want to sell. Why would they want to do that when they've cut all the costs at the club, yet the revenue coming in is massively increasing? Why settle for a £200m profit for example, when they can get that every 3/4 years?

Value of the club is only important if they want to sell. Why would they want to do that when they've cut all the costs at the club, yet the revenue coming in is massively increasing? Why settle for a £200m profit for example, when they can get that every 3/4 years?

Yeah, guess it depends on when they want to get out.

I've always hunched it might be shorter term than long. 

But I know shite.

It does appear that the issue was staged payments. If we can’t afford the goods we shouldn’t be in the shop.

I am not devastated that we missed out on this player particularly. Pre-window, no-one was suggesting that “Konoplyanka is the missing link”.

But more generally this looks like a missed opportunity. Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal are beyond us this season, but man u are not, and next season they will not start so badly, with Mata they are more than capable of making up the missing points this season too. Psychologically we have missed a trick. How will the players ( particularly the SAS) see our failure to strengthen?

This is not a post guided by hindsight or what might have been, but questions still need to be asked:

Konoplyanka has been known about in European footballing circles since 2012 at least. He was featuring in Ukraine's national side fairly regularly before Euro 2012, and was a regular in that tournament. So how is it that nobody has come in for him before now?

Was it already known that Dnipro are difficult to deal with? Is there a general view that Konoplyanka is yet another gifted but inconsistent talent? 

It's a bit strange that even Champions League regulars from eastern Europe such as Shakhtar or Zenit haven't been in for him. 

This is not a post guided by hindsight or what might have been, but questions still need to be asked:

Konoplyanka has been known about in European footballing circles since 2012 at least. He was featuring in Ukraine's national side fairly regularly before Euro 2012, and was a regular in that tournament. So how is it that nobody has come in for him before now?

Was it already known that Dnipro are difficult to deal with? Is there a general view that Konoplyanka is yet another gifted but inconsistent talent? 

It's a bit strange that even Champions League regulars from eastern Europe such as Shakhtar or Zenit haven't been in for him. 

I'm sure a read some Russian club were after him last season but Dnipro wanted £/Euro 40million.

The fans have shown what they can do before when they get pissed off with yanks mate, I wouldn't be so sure. Besides which I'm talking more about any decision to shift the blame to Rodgers should be called out if and when it comes. I'm not his biggest fan by any means but he's been done up like a kipper here and that fact needs to be recognised and remembered if and when the time comes.

Mate, if h and g were not in major trouble trying to refinance, they'd still be here. The fans just helped, with Broughton and purslow, to push them over the precipice. I'm under no illusion that had they had the funds, they'd still be here.

• Upvote 2