You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

I’ll be gutted if he goes because his contribution has been immense. I’m not sure we can replace the goals and assists and it would be a hell of a hit to lose a player at the peak of his powers. But if we are not prepared to play in the top tier then we’ll have to get the best fee we can for him and hope Klopp can pull another couple of rabbits from his baseball cap.

23 minutes ago, suzy said:

That tweet by his agent was so childish.

Agreed. Unprofessional.

I agree with 3 Stacks on this. With all the recent extensions we’ve handed out, the core of this side is due to stay together for at least another 3 years. Anybody who doesn’t want to be part of that is foolish. 

I’m sure we’ve made a very, very good offer to him. Likely a pay rise. I don’t get why this is dragging on. 

If he wants something outrageous (as AWS gave an example of) or he wants to try his luck in Spain, then that’s up to him and I wish him all the best. 

Again, we’ve got a fantastic squad and coaching team at the moment. Anybody who doesn’t want to be part of the next few years with us needs their head examining. 

There are loads of wide wingers these days with pace, who can cut in & finish. Our transfer record has been great in recent years. My preference is Mo stays, but it wouldn’t be a disaster like say, when Owen or Suarez left, and we didn’t anybody of remotely adequate quality to fill their positions.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Or perhaps he links then clubs ambitions is reflected in paying a salary he believes is market rate and he's deserved. 

But what is market rate Barry, City and PSG have distorted market rate, Barcelona tried to create their own market rate and it almost crippled them. 

Utd are not exactly the benchmark either due to the fact they are batshit crazy 

If he wants mega money and the club don't want to pay it as it would break the wage structure then that is our market rate and if he wants more then he has to go elsewhere.

I dont want him to leave, I think he will keep this level up for a few more years but the club have to do the best for LFC not MSFC.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m sure we can all guess where Barry is heading with this.

Yawn. 

I bet he’s been waiting for this since we signed Diaz and won 12 on the bounce and won a trophy. Can’t be happy for 5 mins, got piss and moan about the next impending disaster. 

• Downvote 4

1 hour ago, Boss said:

There's only five players in world football that can replace his goals (Lewandowski, Benzema, Mbappe, Kane and Haaland) and none of them play in his position.

Man City have a model were loads of people score 10 goals, we are well set to replicate that model of we chose that route. 

We have reached the point where we can let him go and its not devastating. Get another year out of him and wave him off like Gini before him with nothing but best wishes.

3 minutes ago, SlugTrail said:

But what is market rate Barry, City and PSG have distorted market rate, Barcelona tried to create their own market rate and it almost crippled them. 

Utd are not exactly the benchmark either due to the fact they are batshit crazy 

If he wants mega money and the club don't want to pay it as it would break the wage structure then that is our market rate and if he wants more then he has to go elsewhere.

I dont want him to leave, I think he will keep this level up for a few more years but the club have to do the best for LFC not MSFC.

Good points. Personally, Id give him what he wants. Any caveats? Maybe if he's asking for half a mill a week but he's said he isnt.

Im not on the train that if we give Mo a bumper wedge, everyone else in the team will ask for more. If they do, you just say no, you've got a good rise recently and other reasons I dont see the point of mentioning here.

Thing is, loads of people have been in Mo's ear about playing for Real and how it would be great for Egypt if he did. Well sorry Mo but if Real sign Mbappe and or Haarland, you aint going to be the numero uno at Real and the fans will turn on you when you miss a couple of sitters.

His agent's a twat and Ive no doubt he's behind all this dithering on a new contract.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, No2 said:

Man City have a model were loads of people score 10 goals, we are well set to replicate that model of we chose that route. 

We have reached the point where we can let him go and its not devastating. Get another year out of him and wave him off like Gini before him with nothing but best wishes.

Yeah, we'd never replace his numbers in one shot, if it came to that. It would be with a number of players.

There has to be a limit to what we can pay him, the knock on effect of just giving him what he wants can be disastrous. I've said plenty of times just give him what he wants because he's so good and you want him to stay but really if the effect is taking our wage structure up another level to one that really puts stress on our flexibility in the future. It's beyond me I've no idea how it all works, I'd love him to stay but not at any cost.

12 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

How do you know he hasn't?

We don't, but we can assume he hasn't because Klopp has commented on these negotiations loads of times, and nothing is happening. Anyway, you'll think what you want to think,  and clearly, you think we're insulting him with shit offers because you always think that kind of thing.

I think if he wanted to stay, he would eventually meet us halfway. Maybe he still could. If he doesn't, oh well.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

We don't, but we can assume he hasn't because Klopp has commented on these negotiations loads of times, and nothing is happening. Anyway, you'll think what you want to think,  and clearly, you think we're insulting him with shit offers because you always think that kind of thing.

I think if he wanted to stay, he would eventually meet us halfway. Maybe he still could. If he doesn't, oh well.

Sorry, you're right, it's all Salah's fault. Well made argument. 

The best wages in football are now paid by countries rather than an individual club or business that's how farcical the game has become. It's disgraceful what the oil states have done to football. One for the shitness of modern football tread. I hope he stays but it's looking less likely.

I’d obviously prefer Mo to stay but if he leaves, so be it. We thrived before Mo Salah and we’ll thrive after him too. You’d think some of these players would look at what happened to the likes of Coutinho and Gini. The grass isn’t always greener and all that.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Brownie said:

I’d obviously prefer Mo to stay but if he leaves, so be it. We thrived before Mo Salah and we’ll thrive after him too. You’d think some of these players would look at what happened to the likes of Coutinho and Gini. The grass isn’t always greener and all that.

To be fair we'd been shite for years before Mo arrived. 

• Upvote 1