You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suicide

Fowlers God

Nail on the head. Men are not designed to do that especially when not granted the reward of respect within the home and society.

That's what the older generation that call younger people "entitled" don't understand. When you have social and community structures in place that support you, you're able to work hard and bootstrap yourself to success. When you live in a climate of information overload, your stress receptors are burned out and personal responsibility just seems like victim-blaming.

• Upvote 3

Not blaming women for this at all but I do think some of the greater strength and empowerment rightly granted to women over the last 50 odd years has emasculated a certain proportion of men. It is up to men to deal with that but it has definitely made the young mans role more difficult to define.

Not blaming women for this at all but I do think some of the greater strength and empowerment rightly granted to women over the last 50 odd years has emasculated a certain proportion of men. It is up to men to deal with that but it has definitely made the young mans role more difficult to define.

Mate, that's the divide-and-conquer stuff the rich have used against us for all eternity. There's nothing stopping men from forming support groups, pooling knowledge and helping women while also helping ourselves.

But surely with the internet it's easier than it ever was to interact with other people? And if you're really lucky, nobody will offer to fight you because they disagreed with something you wrote.

True, but then you get people like the blogger oblivious to the idea of a community.  Also, lots of dickheads calling themselves incels.

Mate, that's the divide-and-conquer stuff the rich have used against us for all eternity. There's nothing stopping men from forming support groups, pooling knowledge and helping women while also helping ourselves.

Men should get up do a bit of sex then wander off and find some food. Bit of a kip then a bit more sex maybe with another sort. Then a big fuck off piece of an animal a laugh with the other blokes and 10 hours kip.

Not a 4 hour commute in a brown suit to sit with people you hate pressing buttons saving to be old.

• Upvote 2

I honestly think some off the skills which men posses now which cause problems would be highly prized in times gone by for which we are physiologically designed.

For instance I am a bit of a loner with a hugely addictive personality. If I want it I am getting it. I'd be highly prized.

If our tribe needed honey or ganja or whatever and it was pissing down and noone could be arsed. I'll go. I'd get chicks and be a popular great guy to have about.

Now I'd end up in a bedsit pissing myself with a bottle.

• Upvote 1

Thanks mate I appreciate it, but I'm done. The only thing that's still holding me back is my overriding fear of death, I just need to get past that but it's going to take a while as the fear is huge.

Shit the bed....

Mate, don’t do it!!!

I feel your pain however, I was there 12 months ago, it’s a very dark place, the constant thoughts of how, where and when it’s going to happen, the rollercoaster of emotions of what you’ll do to those around you and the “benefit” that you’ll take from no longer been in the mental excruciating pain that you find yourself in!!

It’s seems frivolous as the receiver to say think of your wife/kids/parents and how they’ll feel if you actually do it - I know that the place your in, means that is the last thing on your mind!!

I don’t know your circumstances as to why you’re in the place you are, but trust me, taking oxygen from this planet for the long term is most definitely far better than leaving this green earth.

You need a confidant, someone to talk to who will listen and help rationalise your situation, surprisingly that person may already exist in your own personal “network” - you’ll know who they are and you NEED to tell them you need help, you’ll be surprised how supportive they’ll be

Don’t feel weak at talking to them, if you don’t know who, then please make a call to the Samaritans!!!

Me?? I went for one last walk, take in the scenery of a beautiful place as my last memory! Whilst there I sent a message of goodbye, that person was faster than lightning in been there for me. Listened, didn’t judge, and supported me back from the brink!!

I would’ve left three kids without a dad, I didn’t care at the time, but now..... my relationship with them is amazing!!

I’m not “better” as in healed, I still have shit days, days when I question my decisions (not the one in ending it) but the decisions that have made my life what it is today!

I have that person, who will always know where I was that day, who makes time for me, who now sees the days when I’m low, even when I try hard to hide it, when others can’t see that, because they don’t know where I was

Why say some of this... well I look back and believe that somewhere in the back of my brain I didn’t really want to end it, yet the demons had overtaken!! The fact that you won’t do it on your other half’s birthday “cos you’re not that much of a cunt” says to me that somewhere deep down a small part of you is the same.

Don’t let the demons win, talk to someone, make that cry for help ... PLEASE!! Cos if you do, sometime from now you’ll look back and thank whatever and whoever you believe in for the ability to reach out.

Life can be shit, but it can be amazing too, it’s a fuckin hell of a rollercoaster as well, but we only get one chance here. Make it the best you can and tell someone how much ch you’re hurting right now so you can get the help you need.

Much love

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 4

I didn't know that but I suspect that it's a lot more encompassing than the provision of RE in the schools. If you're choosing to send your kids to a faith school I suspect you have religious beliefs too so I'm guessing those children will live in an environment that teaches that killing yourself is a transgression against your faith.

And I think there is something in that across society that may explain suicide rates. I don't know the statistics and whether they have risen over time but as a society suicide is no longer regarded as a crime and while it is absolutely right that these issues are being discussed more widely and the stigma is diminishing an unwanted consequence can also act as a disinhibitor for those considering suicide themselves

No, I know it won't be RE per se, I was just using it to address Caradonna's point.

And, yes, it could be hell and fear etc, or it might be hope.

Worked quite well post war UK and US, and more recently in various parts of Northern Europe. Most people on this forum want a centre-left social democracy. They want something akin to keynesianism. Stronts knows this, but it's much better for his argument to pretend that we want to nationalise scones. That way he can point at Venezuela and North Korea, and ignore the fact the economic ideology he supports, partly out of a sense of misplaced duty, and partly to be contrary on the internet, is thoroughly discredited.

1m people have used food banks. 6m people, in work, are below our poverty line. They won't all top themselves, but most of them will feel pretty shit. YEAH BUT THEY'VE GOT AN I-PHONE.

Great.

Couldn't agree more, J.

I did say I was talking in extremes, just like SD usually is.

And centrism, as you probably wouldn't disagree, has been the preferred area of political powerbroking for yonks now.

Left, right, centre - they're all shit areas if the people implementing are self-serving:  ie. careerists, politicians.

Yeah, big brave man behind the keyboard aren't you.

Sad, pathetic cunt.

The fuck is wrong with people?

Your attitude - on a thread like this - is pretty disgusting if I'm honest, Stronts.

And some people are responding, badly in some instances of course, in kind.

• Upvote 2

I'm only responding to what is aimed at me. Not sure how else I should deal with unprovoked anonymous threats of violence against me, but I'm quite sure I've never done anything disgusting.

Brushing off people's notions of suicide with economic rationalism might not be a disgusting act.  But it's nothing to be proud of or defensive about.

Just my opinion though, mate.

Big day of sport coming up, perhaps just what some of us need.

Brushing off people's notions of suicide with economic rationalism might not be a disgusting act.  But it's nothing to be proud of or defensive about.

I don't know where you get the idea that I was brushing anything off. I was countering an assertion, because I disagreed with it. People who think that a simple disagreement is the cue to launch a wave of personal attacks need to have a long hard think about their attitude to these discussions.

I don't know where you get the idea that I was brushing anything off. I was countering an assertion, because I disagreed with it. People who think that a simple disagreement is the cue to launch a wave of personal attacks need to have a long hard think about their attitude to these discussions.

The people that are personally attacking you perhaps think that two wrongs make a right.

But my or others taking issue with someone calling you a "cock" for instance, is pretty facile.

I'd rather wonder why it is you might be taking the side of an economic model over individuals being so disenchanted - with a system or the shortcomings of a system or feeling isolated from a community or family, and feeling they might not have the support to go on - that they are contemplating taking their own lives.

And yet in the end, the discussion ends up being about you and the offence you are choosing to take at infantile jibes made at you.

Funny that.

• Upvote 1