You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez: Sell or Keep?

WhiskeyJar

Suarez: Keep or Sell?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Suarez: Keep or Sell?

• Keep him; he is nuts but he is world class and we do not sell world class players.
    • Sell him; he is world class but too much of a nuisance to our club. Time to cash in.
    • Not sure if we should sell him or keep him.

If his advisers couldn't tell the difference between a legally binding release clause and one that may as well have been drawn in crayon, how likely is it that they understood the difference between a genial "we'll talk about that if we don't get CL" and a genuine gentleman's agreement to let him leave no matter what?

Did we not let him have an interpreter during discussions? Guardiola's looking like a chump.

The "verbal agreement" obviously means nothing. The clause in the contract is the real bone of contention, but the fact that no legal recourse has been taken suggests that the club holds the upper hand.

At this stage I don't see us folding and selling to Arsenal under any circumstances, so the best we can hope for is that someone else comes in for him with a decent offer. If not he will stay at least until January, or possibly go out on loan somewhere.

Even if there was some sort of verbal agreement, it doesn't mean we just sell him to any fucker for any price. It's pretty obvious he can go now, but on our terms. We can't sell him to Arsenal, it's as simple as that.

Yeah, there might well have been some verbal agreement.....and there was probably a bit in it that Suarez is omitting, where Ayre said 'yes you can go....for the right price'.

As far as I'm concerned, no way should this ungrateful little shit pull on the famous red again (nor should he be allowed to wear the not-so-famous red of Arsenal either!)

The "verbal agreement" obviously means nothing. The clause in the contract is the real bone of contention, but the fact that no legal recourse has been taken suggests that the club holds the upper hand.

At this stage I don't see us folding and selling to Arsenal under any circumstances, so the best we can hope for is that someone else comes in for him with a decent offer. If not he will stay at least until January, or possibly go out on loan somewhere.

Every time he opens his trap like this, his price drops another million or two.

I haven't waded through 121 pages of posts on this matter - I've read many over the last few months of this soap opera, but nowhere near all - so apologies for repeating what may have already been stated.

Firstly, would the poll figures be different if re-started. This has gone for so long, and Suarez has said more and more, that maybe a lot of people may have changed their mind.

One poll option is "Keep him; he is nuts but he is world class and we do not sell world class players." Right - we should not sell world class players. But what if a world class player wants to leave? What if the world class player has dragged the club's reputation into the gutter? What if the world class player's tantrums and briefings to the press have now become a bigger story than the football? And what if his actions were a major contributing factor in the sacking of one of the greatest servant the club has ever had?

I never want to see Suarez in a red shirt again. He doesn't deserve to wear it.

Long ago, in the deep Dark Ages before 1992, a player would receive, I think, 5% of a transfer fee, unless he asked for a transfer. Obviously, long after the days of a player getting a cut of a massive £100,000 fee, Suarez is holding out for a share of a £50m fee.

My hope now is that we sell Suarez for as much as we can get (unless to any of that group, which includes Arsenal, who we expect to challenge for the fourth CL spot, a spot we can reasonably also be hoping to challenge for). Sell him to City, United or Chelsea, if necessary: we may lose a few points to one of them as a result, but they are way out our league at the moment - it's irrelevant if Suarez' goals put them 40 points ahead of us in 4th place. Selling to Arsenal, for example, could gain them many extra points against other teams as well in the fight for fourth - we may get a £30 profit selling to them, but the loss of CL football will cost that - and leave us even further adrift from the top clubs.

My hope is that until we sell him, he doesn't play, he doesn't train, and as far as legally possible, he doesn't go anywhere near the club. If he hasn't gone by 1st September, tough. We may lose some money before he goes in January, but someone has to send the message to scumbags like him. The average salary in this country is around £25,000 per year, and it costs around £50 to get a ticket for a match at Anfield (I don't know the exact figure - I stopped going 18 months ago, as I can no longer afford it). It's time WE stopped being exploited by THEM.

Sell him to City, United or Chelsea, if necessary: we may lose a few points to one of them as a result, but they are way out our league at the moment - it's irrelevant if Suarez' goals put them 40 points ahead of us in 4th place

A good point. We now know that the bottom price would be 40 million, at least in my understanding, which is little to City and Chelsea. It's the latter if they don't get Rooney.

Both clubs have deep reserves - maybe a money/player exchange could be worked out.

I doubt Suarez is feeling too confident if he's read what Gordon Taylor has had to say about it. The subtext is "there's fuck all we can do unless the club agrees to sell him." Which is as it should be.

Every time he opens his trap like this, his price drops another million or two.

If that were true he'd be giving interviews and blabbing like he was playing a Fleet Street version of Mallett's Mallet. He's not, he's wriggling uncomfortably, trying to find leverage without playing the total shithouse in case we actually have the balls to make him stay, desperate to flush out more interested parties.

I can't see the price to Arsenal dropping, Wenger's words about finding an amicable solution sound very much like a man who doesn't want to go to arbitration and be fined.

He wants out, we knew that, he's past blaming the country, past mentioning one of the elite in the shape of Real, now he's onto stage three of the patented Mascherano escape plan, the "can't you see i'm hurting inside" emo bullshit.

He's a cheeky, dishonourable fucker, and I would not be surprised if he's outright lying about this verbal agreement, though do suspect he's only twisting an 'understanding'. He's stooping very very low to now use (or threaten to use) the same authorities and media that have demonised him in his time at LFC, against the club and supporters that stood by him throughout those dark times.

You rep what you sow Luis, you reap what you sow.

To all the people saying Suarez has dragged the club's reputation into the gutter.

Will top players be more or less likely to sign for us if Suarez leaves?

There was little chance of top players wanting to join us anyway, and I'd say the chances of those just a level below joining us would not alter with his departure - there's more to LFC than Suarez. Look at Sturridge, if anything he'd surely have been less inclined to move to a club with a very clear first choice forward such as Suarez (due to his experience at his previous two clubs), but he came anyway.

PFA assist racist biting diving turncoat shocker. Players seem to be willing ruin a legacy for their own self gratification. Gone are the days of loyalty and passion for a club, its all about self achievement and money these days. In our heat of hearts we all knew he would probably leave if we did not get 4th place last season. I would accept anybody but Arsenal, the club can simply not allow this to happen. I don't think they will either.