You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

(Bet you can't grow lemons and watermelons though)

I wish and grapes intertwining a pergola overhead *sigh*

And it was regret I have to inform you, Colin, that the gooseberry bush I planted last year isnt looking too chipper.

I was about to say I've all but given up on growing food (slugs) but I've got some good rhubarb, the blueberries are looking promising and I've got a healthy collection of herbs so it aint all doom and gloom

Trump - already growing melons,probably easier than attracting the welsh alternative

Yer wha'? I'll have you know that while I don't have a multi-billion dollar property empire and a shitload of money in the bank, I DO have my own hair!

rico, kill it and hang it's corpse from the washing line as a warning to the others. Badgers tend to take shit from no one, death is the only real answer to a Badger problem.

Regarding gardens I don't have one being a borderline transient living like a teenager in my parents spare room. I just wanted to advocate rico going on a nocturnal Badger slaughtering mission.

As I mentioned earlier I'm trying to get the developer to put a wire fence down to keep it out. I'm not getting very far at them moment. I've got pictures showing the damage before we moved in, so I'm saying they should sort it. They are saying that its coming from Council land so I need to take it up with them. They've also provided an environmental report saying no sign of badger activity despite their being a massive sett about 20 meters from my house.

My tactics now are;

A) mentioning the badger to all the people I see coming to view the empty house next to us and to the show home 3 doors away. Hopefully they are asking the sales guy about it. It's going along all the gardens so fingers crossed they'll have to sort it to sell.

B) going to the local paper about the obviously moody report. This development wasn't popular with locals so there might be some interest there.

We moved into a new gaff a few weeks back. 90ft back garden, haven't got a clue what I'm doing, but I'm giving it a bash.

I've cleared a patch at the bottom of the garden, dug it over, planted some onions, spinach, runner beans, chilis, courgettes and sweetcorn. Looks like there was some redcurrant and fruit plants in there as well, so will look after those. Banged in a raspberry too, but it was looking manky at the garden centre, on offer... 10p, will need a better come back that Lazarus

I'm starting off small on the veg, and hoping to sort out the rest of the garden, then I'll build up some raised beds and sort out the soil for next year. Mate of ours has got some good mature manure and the compost pile left by the old boy in the new gaff looks decent. So should get a decent crop in the next few years.

The veg will be fine, the flower and shrubs, not a fucking clue. I think I'll tidy up what is there and weed out the shite, big thing is getting the patio sorted for the world cup next year. Reckon I'll need to level it out and convert the garage with bar for the inevitable rain hit fixtures.

• 2 weeks later...
How would you get rid of dandelions growing in the gap between tarmac and pavers?

Bleach, provided you use a small amount and it's not near other plants

Update: Well, I put the bleach on; the plants are dying back slowly. It remains to be seen whether it has seen them off for good. (My neighbours doing something with their shithole of a garden would help)

How about the lawn, Pesti?

After 20 hours of rain' date=' my garden is looking well lush. I haven't dug out my veg beds yet though - too much other stuff happening - but will get it done this weekend.[/quote']

I lost all my veg to the rain and slugs last year. My veg patch is currently a very useful holding bed and I just don't know that I have the energy to waste on them this year.

My herbs in pots and around the garden are looking good though so its not all bad news

I wish and grapes intertwining a pergola overhead *sigh*

Just to make you feel better, the next stage of our renovation will be a deck with a pergola overhead. With a decorative grape vine grown all over it for shade. Going for the kind that doesn't produce grapes, as we don't want bird shit all over our nice new deck. I'll post some pics when its done.

We've got a grape-producing vine growing down the back fence, trimmed it back after we moved in, the things like a horizontal tree its that thick. Plus a lemon tree with lemons the size of Ray Clemences fist, and an olive tree and a feijoa tree (New Zealand fruit, don't like them myself).

Its one fertile bastard of an area this. Great weather too.

Well, well - what have we here. Another gardening thread, I see ?

A lot of talk about grass, not many pictures of gardening.

Couple pics of the back garden in the rain/mist I took today with my new wide angle lens. Irises and oriental poppies are almost done for the year, but the grasses will take over soon enough.

bg_wa1_zps497b6935.jpg

bg_wa2_zpsa34fb659.jpg