You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Daily Mail

Ah. I'll not bother listening to that, then. They know nothing about anything. Ever. If it was from Pearce or Barrett, it's worth listening to. The Mail won't have any knowledge about how much we've got to spend.

3 of the four teams you mention will have new managers. As we know from experience, spending big doesn't mean they'll do good business.

Sure, but they are all starting from an advanced position and are - in all probability - all going to outspend us. Again, sure, they have to good business but, then, we have to do even better business. And on a smaller budget.

I actually do think we have a opportunity here. We just need to get our own transfers right.

I hope so on both counts.

Yeah, it's a massive opportunity. City, Arsenal and Chelsea are all about to spend big in the summer and Utd finished 30 points above us this season. We'll walk the top four, if not the league.

Massive opportunity.

Saying that, FSG need to invest and Rodgers needs to invest wisely.

You tell 'em, MT.

You lot can stick your ambition up your arse.

Ah. I'll not bother listening to that, then. They know nothing about anything. Ever. If it was from Pearce or Barrett, it's worth listening to. The Mail won't have any knowledge about how much we've got to spend.

Yeah, it's all guesswork.

I really, really hope FSG back Rodgers this summer.

Yeah, it's a massive opportunity. City, Arsenal and Chelsea are all about to spend big in the summer and Utd finished 30 points above us this season. We'll walk the top four, if not the league.

Massive opportunity.

Saying that, FSG need to invest and Rodgers needs to invest wisely.

Thats where trying to be positive on here gets you..:ermm:

Its as good as it gets next year for LFC.

If we dont show some initiative while the others rejig, we will regret it.

The filth could be anything next year.

Arsenal will con their fans in to buying season tickets again by promising the earth, and then sign 3 18 year lolds from Lens.

The City team will be broken up.

Chelsea might not get Mourinho back, and even if they do, not sure it will be quite the same.

And i did say sneak top four.

Not walk it.

Also, there really aren't that many £50 million players around, even if you have the money.

We need to be finding more Coutinhos all over the pitch.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I don't see why FSG wouldn't back Rodgers. They've backed him fairly well so far. Last season was 50m. Now that we've got a decent return on that 50m, especially in the winter, I can't see us going short. I think we'll have what we get from sales (minus fees, pay-offs, etc.) plus whatever is available from FSG/Earnings. Is this season when we have new TV money?

I think 40m outgoing would be reasonable. Maybe 50, if Reina goes.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
What are priorities in your view? Other than centre half and assuming Reina stays.

Wide man? Central midfield? Striker?

Priorities for me depend on who is going out. Assuming both Reina and Skrtel stay, with Carra and Coates leaving, then I think we need at least one tall, quick, dominant centre-back with experience, plus another young player (Zouma would be a good choice). Then I think we need somebody in midfield with pace and mobility, who can really drive forward from deep. I like Reges at Porto, but Lars Bender is also superb. We've been linked with Wanyama, which is a start. We also need a right attacker. I'd like Eriksen if he's available for 15m. Silly not to. We need depth and options - strong squads get more points - so saying 'yeah, but we've got...' doesn't fly with me.

I'm not as afraid of change as some on here. I understand their comments about Reina, Carra, experience, etc. I just don't think it's impossible for us to end up in a significantly better position than we are now.

Priorities for me depend on who is going out. Assuming both Reina and Skrtel stay, with Carra and Coates leaving, then I think we need at least one tall, quick, dominant centre-back with experience, plus another young player (Zouma would be a good choice). Then I think we need somebody in midfield with pace and mobility, who can really drive forward from deep. I like Reges at Porto, but Lars Bender is also superb. We've been linked with Wanyama, which is a start. We also need a right attacker. I'd like Eriksen if he's available for 15m. Silly not to. We need depth and options - strong squads get more points - so saying 'yeah, but we've got...' doesn't fly with me.

I'm not as afraid of change as some on here. I understand their comments about Reina, Carra, experience, etc. I just don't think it's impossible for us to end up in a significantly better position than we are now.

I reckon big changes don't necessarily mean problems also.

But there is always a possibility that too many changes will leave us ending up with a situation where we start the season with everyone struggling to find their feet.

Then we'll have the obligatory, "Well we made a lot of changes this year, so next year..." stuff. I really don't want to hear that next season.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I reckon big changes don't necessarily mean problems also.

But there is always a possibility that too many changes will leave us ending up with a situation where we start the season with everyone struggling to find their feet.

Then we'll have the obligatory, "Well we made a lot of changes this year, so next year..." stuff. I really don't want to hear that next season.

I'm not sure all new signings mean a disrupted team. Some will be in the squad, not all will start. We could end up with one CB being the main new player. That's certainly not a big overhaul. Even of we get a CB, a DM and a right sided attacker, one will be replacing Downing - can't make too much negative difference - and one will be chopping things up in midfield, if it doesn't work we'll have the same players to revert to.

Not all that worried. My main concern is getting the right players.

Caroll will pay for the two forwards - Coates, Spearing, Assidi will pay for the midfielder - Do you go for Douglas and Llori, or Llori and Williams - the former will give the money for a left back, the later would need another sale (Downing?).

I'd forget Williams, apart from being shite he's also slow and if Rogers wants to keep playing a high pressing team then the CB we bring in needs pace,Agger isn't slow but h's not lightning quick were his pace can get him into a recovery tackle if we are on the wrong side of a dodgy offside decision.

I'd take Wanayma for midfield and hope for a big money signing to play wide right, Navas ?.

I'd forget Williams, apart from being shite he's also slow and if Rogers wants to keep playing a high pressing team then the CB we bring in needs pace,Agger isn't slow but h's not lightning quick were his pace can get him into a recovery tackle if we are on the wrong side of a dodgy offside decision.

I'd take Wanayma for midfield and hope for a big money signing to play wide right, Navas ?.

If we're going to bring in wide forwards, my money would be on Tello and or Ince.

While the current squad isn't good enough it is improving and we now have a squad with no absolute duds in it. We don't have a single player that I want rid of on June 1st, Downing would be close but I'm not against the idea of retaining him as back up. I think its fair that some players will need to be sold to raise funds, we all know the no brainers that must be kept but there is quite a list of players I wouldn't be against selling as they can obvisouly be improved upon:

Spearing - In terms of squad depth I think keeping someone like Jay makes more sense than Shelvey as he isn't worth that much but offers dependability.

Shelvey - Ideally I'd like him loaned out but I don't see him making it here.

Downing - If he starts as our first choice right sided attacker then we may as well pack it in now.

Johnson - I don't rate him half as highly as many on here but I wouldn't be rushing out to sell him, in saying that his value outweighs his worth to the side.

Carroll - Personally I'd keep him rather than accept less than 12m.

Lucas - Fine player but definitely better players out there than him.

Allen - Like Carroll, not worth selling for pittance.

Skrtel - Shite season but good player, again no point in selling unless offer is beyond 10m.

Enrique - I wouldn't sell him but I hope we buy a better left back than him.

Selling 3 of those should be able to raise 20m no matter which 3 are sold and improving on them can't be that hard.

While the current squad isn't good enough it is improving and we now have a squad with no absolute duds in it. We don't have a single player that I want rid of on June 1st, Downing would be close but I'm not against the idea of retaining him as back up. I think its fair that some players will need to be sold to raise funds, we all know the no brainers that must be kept but there is quite a list of players I wouldn't be against selling as they can obvisouly be improved upon:

Spearing - In terms of squad depth I think keeping someone like Jay makes more sense than Shelvey as he isn't worth that much but offers dependability.

Shelvey - Ideally I'd like him loaned out but I don't see him making it here.

Downing - If he starts as our first choice right sided attacker then we may as well pack it in now.

Johnson - I don't rate him half as highly as many on here but I wouldn't be rushing out to sell him, in saying that his value outweighs his worth to the side.

Carroll - Personally I'd keep him rather than accept less than 12m.

Lucas - Fine player but definitely better players out there than him.

Allen - Like Carroll, not worth selling for pittance.

Skrtel - Shite season but good player, again no point in selling unless offer is beyond 10m.

Enrique - I wouldn't sell him but I hope we buy a better left back than him.

Selling 3 of those should be able to raise 20m no matter which 3 are sold and improving on them can't be that hard.

Id quite happily see the back of all of them apart from Johnson and maybe Carroll if the fee isn't right.

Id quite happily see the back of all of them apart from Johnson and maybe Carroll if the fee isn't right.

So we'd have to sign about three midfielders, and a couple of defenders, and a keeper, also need a forward...

I'd sell Spearing, and loan Shelvey out. Lucas/Allen/Henderson/Gerrard should all stay, and we still need one more probably.

Aren't we still 6th in the form guide since January. That's an idle guess by the way. Either way we are better off with Sturridge coutinho in January than I reckon we would of been with Dempsey sigurdsson in the summer.

Coutinho started his 1st game v Swansea - 12 games. In that time we are 3rd in the form table 4 behind Arsenal and 1 behind Chelsea. It's not definitive but I can see why Gerrard would say that.

So we'd have to sign about three midfielders, and a couple of defenders, and a keeper, also need a forward...

I'd sell Spearing, and loan Shelvey out. Lucas/Allen/Henderson/Gerrard should all stay, and we still need one more probably.

Out of Lucas Henderson and Allen, i'd only keep Henderson.

Lucas is not the player he was, and even then, he wasn't all that.

Not for very long anyway.

We need more balls in the middle, otherwise we will just get steam rollered again.

Im convinced we are going to sign Ashley Williams.

Caroll will pay for the two forwards - Coates, Spearing, Assidi will pay for the midfielder - Do you go for Douglas and Llori, or Llori and Williams - the former will give the money for a left back, the later would need another sale (Downing?).

Caroll will pay for two forwards? That overestimates our negotiating skills quite substantially I think! Can't see us getting more than £10m for him. I still think we should try and get Diame thrown in with deal if they haven't got much cash to pay with.