You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

I expect to buy when we choose to sell. I expect to buy less when we don't. If we don't sign anybody or reinvest the substantial sums we've made from the sale of Coutinho, then I'll have an issue with it. I expect we will, though. It's a fairly balanced position to take.

So reading your expectations again for buying players in the next two windows the Coutinho fee should cover those expectations, so you could have just agreed that you didn't expect more sales to fund those buys! (instead of you "expect money that is recouped to be not spent"?!)

Are South Americans hardwired to behave like spastics when Barca or Real Madrid are interested in them? Seriously? 3 of our South American players have had their heads turned because of Barcelona and has caused them to lose sight of logic and their senses. 

I would laugh like a loon if Catalonia wins independence and Barcelona are barred from playing in La Liga. Phil, Luis and Masch can then enjoy playing Espanyol 35 times a season. Not that I'm bitter...

Are South Americans hardwired to behave like spastics when Barca or Real Madrid are interested in them? Seriously? 3 of our South American players have had their heads turned because of Barcelona and has caused them to lose sight of logic and their senses.

I would laugh like a loon if Catalonia wins independence and Barcelona are barred from playing in La Liga. Phil, Luis and Masch can then enjoy playing Espanyol 35 times a season. Not that I'm bitter...

I feel like a couple of decades ago some of the top south Americans went to Barca and Real, and all the little Latino kiddies wanted to grow up and do the same, eventually they did and it became a bit of a trend happening over and over again, further strengthening the dream to do so each time.

Hopefully the same thing happens with us, we can set a new precident for Africans to dream about growing up and playing for Liverpool. We've started at the right time with the African Cup being moved to the summer so it won't effect our league form anymore.

Then the likes of Barca can cry about us pinching all their best Africans.

So reading your expectations again for buying players in the next two windows the Coutinho fee should cover those expectations, so you could have just agreed that you didn't expect more sales to fund those buys! (instead of you "expect money that is recouped to be not spent"?!)

You said you weren't sure what I was saying, so I clarified. I generally post about this on the MF, so you can be forgiven for not knowing my position (I post about it all the time, annoyingly, at length, much to people's boredom). We either reinvest over the next two windows (including this) or I've got to change my tune about the owners. If they do, however, spend that money, perhaps those banging the drum relentlessly might have to change their tune. Doubtful.

Do you seriously think any of them would stay there if that happened. All players are mercenary. The sooner people realise this and stop making them some thing to be worshipped the better.

You said you weren't sure what I was saying, so I clarified. I generally post about this on the MF, so you can be forgiven for not knowing my position (I post about it all the time, annoyingly, at length, much to people's boredom). We either reinvest over the next two windows (including this) or I've got to change my tune about the owners. If they do, however, spend that money, perhaps those banging the drum relentlessly might have to change their tune. Doubtful.

I notice you're now giving them until the summer window.  That's a bit of goalpost shifting from your position on the MF before Coutinho was sold, when you said that if he was then surely it meant we'd be signing Lemar.

Why the extra leniency?  

I notice you're now giving them until the summer window.  That's a bit of goalpost shifting from your position on the MF before Coutinho was sold, when you said that if he was then surely it meant we'd be signing Lemar.

Why the extra leniency?

I think he's received the updated message in the Whatsapp group.

Lost sight of logic?

Players want to sign for Madrid and Barcelona because they want to play for ambitious sides.

And what is the number one indicator of ambition? Not selling your best players.

I think Qui Gon Jinn said it best, “Always a bigger fish.”

Barcelona are currently bigger than us. They are winning their league and have featured at the sharp end of Europe’s best competition more often than not in the last decade. Factor in some cultural stuff, like climate and lifestyle, and it’s easy to see why transfers like this happen.

I don’t like it one bit, but I understand it. There’s always a bigger fish. Barcelona recently experienced that for themselves, as the finances at PSG/Abu Dhabi blew them out of the water with the Neymar deal.

It’s so frustrating because on our end we were building up a head of steam and the future was looking bright. To most observers we were a VVD, Keita and a new goalkeeper away from a possible title challenge next season. With two of the three in the bag or on the way, things were looking up, and there was and is still, plenty to play for this season.

So Coutinho leaves.

It gives plenty of ammo to the people who are down on the owners.

The question that cuts through the debate is, “Has the money already been spent, or will there be a tasty new signing or two to come?”

If it is VVD and Keita, and that’s the lot, then those who are down on FSG will be correct.

If we manage to also sign, say, Lemar and Alisson, or Mahrez and Oblak - lots of variables on who exactly it might be, but I’m saying two quality players, then fair enough.

I will never agree with the timing and the way this went down, not mid season, not when we had so much to play for. But I am willing, such is Klopp’s standing in my eyes, to get on board with this, assuming he sanctioned the deal because he only wants committed players, and he thought the Coutinho saga was becoming corrosive.

Anyhow, two very good players through the spine, in addition to what we already have in VVD and Keita coming, and I’m fine with this.

Watching to see what happens...

• Upvote 1

I think you'd be minded to use your response as evidence for ignorance.  

“Obviously, he’s one of he best if not the best player technical-wise I’ve ever worked with,” Klopp said.[/size]

I have just a small small hunch you may not hold Klopps praise of Henderson with such distinction.

• Upvote 1

I have just a small small hunch you may not hold Klopps praise of Henderson with such distinction.

distinction?  I'm not sure what that means in this context.  Has Klopp said Henderson's the most skilful/best midfielder he's ever had?  If he has I've genuinely not seen it.

Bit strange that some people don't think we'll miss him that much. I think Coutinho leaves a huge hole. He was our main playmaker, our best passer, best dribbler, best shooter from distance, best free kick and set pieces taker by a mile. Yes we have an excellent front 3 but Coutinho was instrumental in the success of their play. Who will replace what he brought to our attack?

I hope we have someone lined up in this window to replace him. Coutinho's departure will cause a big disruption to the way we play so we need someone who can come in and bring some of those same qualities.

Would have a bigger impact than if KDB was to leave Man City IMO.

Lost sight of logic?

Players want to sign for Madrid and Barcelona because they want to play for ambitious sides.

And what is the number one indicator of ambition? Not selling your best players.

I know why they want to go to Barca, clearly they are a more attractive proposition than us at the moment, especially to South Americana. I just don't like the way these players (and their agents) of ours treat the club in order to force through a move. Barcelona's behaviour also leaves a lot to be desired, to put it mildly. 

They want to play for Barcelona or Madrid because those two normally win everything in Spain and you are guaranteed every year to qualify for the CL as well as have a very good chance of winning the trophy. Plus they have a break in the winter while in England you play every 2 or 3 days over Christmas. Brazilians are attracted to playing in England because of the competition and money but they dont seem to like the lifestyle.

Tim Vickery who writes for BBC about South American football says a lot of South American players find it difficult to settle in England because they are used to their clubs doing virtually everything for them and they do in Spain as well as Italy. From what i remember he said that Hernan Crespo moaned that Chelsea did virtually nothing for him when they bought him. Even though he probably expected someone from Chelsea to drive out to his house, wipe his arse and go the shops for him.

If you look at photos of most of the South American players Liverpool have had basically they didn't do anything in the winter months apart from go round to each others houses for dinner or with their families and it goes dark at 3.30. Whereas in Spain it is still warm and you can take your kids out because it isnt pissing down and fucking freezing every day. Plus you get a nice little holiday in the winter.