You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steve Clarke

Jonjo Baldy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one of Kenny's quality signings like Suarez.

He is excellent. Helped to galvanise our defence and reach two finals. It was a big loss for us.

I agree with Strontium Dog and Trucker Puddy, I can see him taking over a big club eventually.

'One' being the operative word.

Comes across as you trying to convince yourself with shite like that , its an embarrassing state to get into.

Their success is as much to do with their structure as it is to do with Clarke. Dan Ashworth has effectively been Director of Football and each of the managerial appointments while he's been at the club have all been people who have been happy to work within that system.

I'm not saying a DOF system is the way to go, but it's evidence of a club that has a vision of how it wants to operate and then puts that vision into practice. Which is pretty much the opposite to ourselves. We seem to be playing the 'DOF Okey Cokey' and the vision for the future changes almost every 6 months.

Their success is as much to do with their structure as it is to do with Clarke. Dan Ashworth has effectively been Director of Football and each of the managerial appointments while he's been at the club have all been people who have been happy to work within that system.

I'm not saying a DOF system is the way to go, but it's evidence of a club that has a vision of how it wants to operate and then puts that vision into practice. Which is pretty much the opposite to ourselves. We seem to be playing the 'DOF Okey Cokey' and the vision for the future changes almost every 6 months.

A shrewd observation.

Clarke in his first managerial appointment was always going to be a gamble, but it is a gamble reduced by the structure within which he is working. His reputation at Chelsea, West Ham,and ourselves has endured despite the vagaries of results.

Yes, that structure has worked well for them, no doubt. Clarke has done well so far and I'm happy for him, but it is very early days. People suggesting that we should have appointed him rather than Rodgers on the basis of a few months' football really need to turn it in.

I think Clarke should be widely praised for what he has achieved rather than people looking to play down what he has done at this early stage. No doubt they have a good structure in place but he has done an excellent job so far and I would not be surprised to see them get 60 odd points.

Don't get me wrong mate, I'm not trying to play down what he's done at all. I think he's been very, very impressive. I was merely trying to point out that he's gone to a club that has a clear blueprint for what they are trying to achieve and everyone that goes to the club has to fit into that and not the other way round. Each change of management at West Brom in recent years hasn't resulted in a new 5 year plan or a change of direction which will take years to implement.

For me it doesn't matter that much if it's a DOF or not as long as the club is clear as to the direction it is taking and it gets the right people into the structure that they want to adopt. West Brom have done that. It will be interesting to see what happens after Dan Ashworth goes to the FA next summer.

I'm not so sure they have a clear blueprint Mowbray and DiMatteo tried to play football and Roy was the antithesis of what the previous managers were doing. Clarke seems to have took the best pieces and put together some excellent results. So footballing wise there seems to have been less of a footballing style compared to say Swansea.

No doubt having consistency helps ie the dof but we all know the owl or O'neil wouldn't have had this sort of return so far.

Another one of Kenny's quality signings like Suarez.

He is excellent. Helped to galvanise our defence and reach two finals. It was a big loss for us.

I agree with Strontium Dog and Trucker Puddy, I can see him taking over a big club eventually.

Carroll,Downing Henderson? = £71M. Oops.

I imagine they'll drop off, obviously people said the same about Newcastle last year but they did/do have some quality players, West Brom don't really have anyone above average (although I do like Shane Long a lot), but regardless of them dropping off I do think they'll have a very good season and wish Steve Clarke all the best

Forgive me for playing devils advocate, but lest we forget this man was at Kennys hip last season. Considering how fucking shit the second half f the season was, there aren't many accolades being passes around for that.

Clarke is alright at the moment, end of. Plenty of examples to the contrary over his career, and I can't believe that face and meek demeanour could get big egos to play for him.

They are guaranteed to go through a blip though' date=' as they don't have the strength in depth to continue their good form over Christmas and through Spring. I fancy them to compete for the Europa spots though.

I actually think we have a pretty good chance of getting 4th now, as Everton seem to have cooled down after their great start, and Arse and Spurs (especially) look to be struggling just as badly as us. Everton and WBA probably have a bit of an advantage because of not competing in Europe. The big thing is keeping Suarez healthy throughout, if we can do that, it might not be too late.[/quote']

I can't see that re 4th, we'll draw or lose today and that'll be that b

Forgive me for playing devils advocate, but lest we forget this man was at Kennys hip last season.

It is a relationship of contradictions, isn't it? Kenny wanted him appointed. It was Clarke who ran the training and coaching.

So was it Clarke who cocked things up last season, or Kenny? And why was Clarke offered another PL berth but Kenny gets offered nothing?

^ and he never seemed to be the man they wanted. I don't think they wanted to spend 3 years to find out with an old manager, so they brought in a young manager with a vision to implement.

But Steve Clarke would not have been good enough for us. The pressure of managing Liverpool is different to somewhere like West Brom add to the fact we was in backroom chaos and in a transition period, much tougher coming under those circumstances and I think if we had more stability and structure beforehand it would of been easier for Rodgers to get going.