You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ideal January signing

Bert

Was reading a Chelsea forum there (I know, I know) about the Sturridge rumours and they're mainly fuming.

"So let me just get this straight for a minute..

Firstly we pay Liverpool £50m for a striker who is clearly not the player he used to be. A striker who cannot score to save his life unless it's against opposition roughly the quality of Torquay. A striker who has bitched and moaned a lot - right after the CL win for example saying it was the worst time of his career, saying later that he didn't care if we won or lost.

In addition to that we get rid of Anelka and Drogba and bench Sturridge (our top scorer and a quality young English player) so that Torres is our #1, so that there is no-one to challenge him and dent his confidence.

Then we bring in a former Liverpool manager who the fans despise in order to try and squeeze something - anything - out of a striker who has become the worst transfer in the history of football.

Now we are selling Sturridge to Liverpool so that they can improve their season with another goal scorer, whilst we remain with simply Torres up front, missing chance after chance, throwing his arms in the air, smiling sarcastically at referees whilst sitting on the floor because he wasn't awarded a penalty for falling over the ball..?

What the f**king hell is happening to this football club?"

Was reading a Chelsea forum there (I know, I know) about the Sturridge rumours and they're mainly fuming.

Firstly we pay Liverpool £50m for a striker who is clearly not the player he used to be. A striker who cannot score to save his life unless it's against opposition roughly the quality of Torquay. A striker who has bitched and moaned a lot - right after the CL win for example saying it was the worst time of his career, saying later that he didn't care if we won or lost.

In addition to that we get rid of Anelka and Drogba and bench Sturridge (our top scorer and a quality young English player) so that Torres is our #1, so that there is no-one to challenge him and dent his confidence.

Then we bring in a former Liverpool manager who the fans despise in order to try and squeeze something - anything - out of a striker who has become the worst transfer in the history of football.

Now we are selling Sturridge to Liverpool so that they can improve their season with another goal scorer, whilst we remain with simply Torres up front, missing chance after chance, throwing his arms in the air, smiling sarcastically at referees whilst sitting on the floor because he wasn't awarded a penalty for falling over the ball..?

Pretty funny, that.

What more reason do we need? Sign the mofo up.

I think it's great news. It's laughable that people are whining about this.

Ince - Small outlay, quick, skillful, and looks just about ready to step up. Plus I've heard he rejected Newcastle and Spuds to sign for us, 18 months after he was told to beat it.

As for Sturridge, only stupid reasons are given for not wanting him...

"He's a cunt!!!" Why? because he's unhappy that even though he's form was better than a certain ladyboy he was still benched?

"He dances when he scores!!!" Well, let him, fuck knows we need some scorers. He can moonwalk all over the fucking pitch if he brings goals with him.

"He's unproven!!!" 8 in 12 at a shit Bolton Team, as well as averaging a goal every two games as a youngster (which he still is) states otherwise.

"He's British!!! That policy didnt work!!!" You're 100% correct, it didnt work because we targeted shit players! Sturridge has proven that he's not shit!!! (See above)

You left out my problem with the deal: value for money.

I like Sturridge as a player and I was disappointed we didnt sign him in the summer, but 12m pounds is way above market value in Europe, that's the issue. I also like Henderson and even Carroll, but we can't keep paying way over the odds every transfer window like we did with them. Borini was another 6-8m pound player we spunked too much to get, it's bizarre.

Over and over I hear that.

Because we dont, we are buying sturridge and ince. Moan about having no attacking players, buy the best young striker in the league and the championship-still moan.

Dont get me wrong we need another couple of signings, and I wouldnt be doing cartwheels in the back garden if we just bought those two, but I wouldnt be as pissed off as some on here about it, if they were

"In The Premier League, Daniel Sturridge has scored 26 in 4478 minutes, while Luis Suarez has scored 25 in 5083."

That's just missing the most important aspect: The quality of the chance created. All chances are not equal. How difficult those chances are varies. But how difficult they are, and what type they they are, is important. It's even more important when you're comparing players.

Using a baseless, contextless, essentially misleading stat is a pet hate of mine.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
That's just missing the most important aspect: The quality of the chance created. All chances are not equal. How difficult those chances are varies. But how difficult they are, and what type they they are, is important. It's even more important when you're comparing players.

Using a baseless, contextless, essentially misleading stat is a pet hate of mine.

Fair comment. Chelsea do, in my view, create better chances than us. However, nobody - least of all the person who posted those stats on twitter - was claiming Sturridge is better than Suarez. Certainly not based on that statistic, which is admittedly simplistic. It's a crude comparison to highlight how well he has done for Chelsea when given the chance to get on the field. How well he does when he gets here is incredibly hard to know based on statistics, because most aren't relevant.

What's more relevant is watching him play, wouldn't you agree? Then you can judge his strengths and estimate how those strengths would be used at Liverpool.

Just for once, can't we unearth some Michu/Benteke type bargain signing?

Why does this never happen at Liverpool anymore?

You do realise these characters get unearthed then a season later they appear to be a flash in the pan. Look at the state of Newcastle now. It happens every year. A couple of players sign for these lower clubs hit a run of form and get raved about.

It very rarely happens for any of the top clubs because the top clubs don't get the space and time the lower clubs do. Desite how shit we've been clubs still come and defend against us first and attack second. I have no doubt Benteke, Ba, Cisse etc (maybe not Michu) would more than likely flopped at us big time.

When did it ever happen ?

Seem to me we've always went after pretty established names or well known promissing youngsters.

I have to agree there.

So i'm actually having to go back to Gary MacAllister as the last real "bargain" brought in to the club.

I suppose Suarez would also have to be considered an absolute steal too.

Not exactly unknown though!

The funniest thing is... I think Sturridge is a very good player, but with room for improvement (which shouldn't be difficult in those areas)... so likely will improve a good amount.

... but everyones doubts are swaying me a lot. I keep thinking that I've missed something.

I remember the 2 of us banging the Sturridge drum back just after the last window closed. Don't be swayed by the herd!

Pisses me off to no end, this. This and people who say he only tries to sign Swansea players.

I have to admit I thought he crossed paths with sturridge at chelsea, I was wrong. But you can't blame me for assuming that when our targets last summer seemed to be:

Sigurdsson (confirmed)

Allen (signed)

Borini (signed)

Sinclair (stronly linked until City stepped in)

Vorm(linked)

+

Dempsey

Without a scouting network last summer is an excuse to some extent, but if you don't have worldwide contacts then managing one of the world's biggest football clubs is a huge challenge.

Now that he does have the network I hope he does spend the money wisely, getting value for money and for the time being it seems to be in bankrupt Europe you find best value.

I have to agree there.

So i'm actually having to go back to Gary MacAllister as the last real "bargain" brought in to the club.

I suppose Suarez would also have to be considered an absolute steal too.

Not exactly unknown though!

Arbeloa?

Before him Hypia. It isn't as easy as it is made out, but you are right we do need to start identifying these type of players - but, not know, know we need players who can slop in relatively quickly. They may turn out to be a short term fix - but they will improve us a lot up front, together with the returning Borini, we will have a lot more up front than we have had all season, and that, is where are most glaring and damaging weakness is.

I have to admit I thought he crossed paths with sturridge at chelsea, I was wrong. But you can't blame me for assuming that when our targets last summer seemed to be:

Sigurdsson (confirmed)

Allen (signed)

Borini (signed)

Sinclair (stronly linked until City stepped in)

Vorm(linked)

+

Dempsey

Without a scouting network last summer is an excuse to some extent, but if you don't have worldwide contacts then managing one of the world's biggest football clubs is a huge challenge.

Now that he does have the network I hope he does spend the money wisely, getting value for money and for the time being it seems to be in bankrupt Europe you find best value.

What about, Mertens, Sahin, Ousadi, Ba, Walcott, Johnson, Butland, Kony, Bent, Godin, Turan? They were all 'linked' as well.

Rafa brought in Pelligrino, Garcia and Morientes within the first year - all of whom he had worked with previously. And Alonso, whom he had been scouting when at Valencia.

Fair comment. Chelsea do, in my view, create better chances than us. However, nobody - least of all the person who posted those stats on twitter - was claiming Sturridge is better than Suarez. Certainly not based on that statistic, which is admittedly simplistic. It's a crude comparison to highlight how well he has done for Chelsea when given the chance to get on the field. How well he does when he gets here is incredibly hard to know based on statistics, because most aren't relevant.

What's more relevant is watching him play, wouldn't you agree? Then you can judge his strengths and estimate how those strengths would be used at Liverpool.

I was just teasing Hank, as it was you who said every single word of that post (although not in the one post) to me when I was using some stats, so was just amused to see you using some contextless stats yourself.

At least you didn't then try to disagree with yourself!

Sturridge is the player who, not only did I want us to go for more than any other realistic target, but thought we would go for as well. So I am very happy. And that is from watching him play in the right forward role under AVB, and not on his stats.

EDIT: Having said that, I did think due to contract situation it would be less than £10m, but I don't have an issue with paying £12m, as I think he is worth more at current market prices.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I was just teasing Hank, as it was you who said every single word of that post (although not in the one post) to me when I was using some stats

I know, I remember saying them ;)

so was just amused to see you using some contextless stats yourself.

Ah, but I wasn't 'using' them. I was just quoting them. I thought them interesting, but didn't use them to push a point. Like saying He's better than Suarez, for example. It's not totally irrelevant, but it certainly is without context.

At least you didn't then try to disagree with yourself!

Sturridge is the player who, not only did I want us to go for more than any other realistic target, but thought we would go for as well. So I am very happy. And that is from watching him play in the right forward role under AVB, and not on his stats.

I do want him. I'm not quite as enthused as you, but I do like him. I loved that goal he scored at the Olympics, but would prefer Walcott or Mertens for that money. Still, maybe we're not done.

EDIT: Yeah, I certainly don't think 12m is Carroll/Downing type overpayment. Might even turn out to be quite a bargain if he can get 10-15 goals a season.

Ah, but I wasn't 'using' them. I was just quoting them. I thought them interesting, but didn't use them to push a point. Like saying He's better than Suarez, for example. It's not totally irrelevant, but it certainly is without context.

I do want him. I'm not quite as enthused as you, but I do like him. I loved that goal he scored at the Olympics, but would prefer Walcott or Mertens for that money. Still, maybe we're not done.

I forgot about that, class goal it was. Cool as you like.

Where do you see him playing Hank? Out wide?

This seems a tad harsh.

Daniel Sturridge

Current Club: Chelsea | Position: Striker / Right Winger

Age: 23 (born 9/7/1989) | Height: 6’2" (188cm) | Preferred Foot: Left

Season to Date: 12 appearances (2 starts), 2 goals, 0 assists

Strengths: Sturridge is good with the ball at his feet, able to make lethal runs on the dribble as well as keep his defender off balance with quick, deft touches that can take him in any direction. Sturridge shoots with a strong left foot from any range, though he’s shown an ability to make quick chips at goal with his right without too much difficulty.

Weaknesses: Pretty much every other facet of his game, especially anything involving defense. He tracks back poorly, and his timing on challenges is nearly as bad. In the attacking phase his hold up play is atrocious, his link-up play is generally questionable, and his passing touch leaves much to be desired. Part of that seems to have to do with a willingness to pass, period, as there have been many occasions in his Chelsea career where Sturridge has shown a preference for taking shots, no matter how speculative, instead of playing the advantageous pass.

What He Brings To Liverpool: Sturridge gives Liverpool a left-footed player who can play either in the middle, as a backup to Luis Suarez, or as an inverted winger or wide forward on the right, cutting in to combine with Suarez and shoot with his stronger foot. Liverpool have struggled to find someone for the former role, while for the latter Liverpool have had only Stewart Downing and Suso, and neither is especially suited to that task.

Overall Thoughts: I’ve honestly never been a fan of Sturridge. He’s not as well-suited to playing in the center as he seems to think he is, and he’s a little more one-dimensional than you want to see in any other attacking role. That said, I can see why Rodgers might want to bring him in, as he’d provide better attacking nous from wide positions than we’ve generally seen this season.

Rodgers has typically favored wide forwards such as Nathan Dyer in his previous coaching stops, and playing Raheem Sterling on the left has been the closest we’ve seen to that since Rodgers arrived. Sturridge would likely fill that role on the right, and in theory could provide better attacking balance to the side by stabilizing the position. The key word though is theory, as aside from an impressive scoring run in 2011 (8 goals in 12 appearances on loan for Bolton, plus 11 in the first four and a half months of last season), Sturridge has been wildly inconsistent on the pitch, and there’s no immediate reason to think that that will change any time soon—even with the consideration that he’s likely see much more of the pitch at Liverpool than he has since Andre Villas Boas was fired in March.

liverpool blog fc sbn

Thomas Ince

Current Club: Blackpool | Position: Left Winger

Age: 20 (Born 1/30/1992) | Height: 5’10 (178cm) | Preferred Foot: Left

Season to Date: 21 appearances (20 starts), 13 goals, 9 assists

Strengths: A pacey, direct wide man, Ince is the classic English Winger who can run and run and run for days. Ince is not without skill on the ball, and is perfectly capable of knocking it past his man or generating misdirection. He’s also capable of swapping sides relatively seamlessly with his opposite winger if needed. Ince also has demonstrated some ability to do well in a high pressing game, which is useful in Rodgers’ system.

Weaknesses: Ince’s passing touch and crossing leave much to desired, and most of his assist have more to do with botched or redirected shots than anything he intentionally did to set up a teammate. Much like Sturridge, he has a habit of becoming too goal-focused too often. Aside from his pressing, he’s not terribly good in defense, and he’s too easy to take out of a match when marked by a player who can match him for pace.

What He Brings To Liverpool: More youth in attack is always a good thing, and someone who can burn down either flank is always useful, though he’s clearly better on the left than on the right. I’m not sure that Ince is capable of making an impact this season with the current squad, as even if both Stewart Downing and Joe Cole are loaned out or sold he’d be fourth or fifth on the depth chart behind Sturridge, Sterling, Suso, and perhaps even Shelvey and Enrique.

Overall Thoughts: As much as I’ve never much cared for Sturridge, this is a move I care for less. Ince didn’t fit the squad two years ago, and frankly time hasn’t changed much for him. Yes, he’s built up an impressive record with Blackpool, scoring 20 times for them since arriving in early August of 2011, but his overall skillset, issues and all, has improved little since then. If the deal really is for his full reported buyout of £6 million—and there’s little reason to believe it won’t be—then there’s a very real chance that this deal winds up being a waste of £6 million. His skillset, and that fact that he’s mostly a one-trick pony with his pace, probably leaves him better suited for the Championship and not for a squad that has ideas on challenging for the Champion’s League.

liverpool blog fc sbn

On the whole, Sturridge should be the purchase that has the larger impact, for good or ill. The fees as reported have him costing twice as much to bring in, and given that his wages are already reported to be around £65,000 a week (or a little under £3.4 million per year), it’s likely he’ll cost Liverpool around £90,000 per week (or just shy of £4.7 million per year) for at least four years to keep in their employ. Even with the significant wage reductions made over the summer, that’s a lot of money to throw at a player who’s far from a sure bet to make much of a positive contribution to the team. It’s a huge gamble, and while it has a chance of paying off if Sturridge winds up fitting in, it also has a significant chance of backfiring badly. With Liverpool’s budget limited at the moment, questions as to how wise a gamble this is are certainly valid.

As for Ince, in all honesty I wouldn’t be surprised to see him loaned straight back to Blackpool. He’s playing well there, and he’ll see far more playing time in the Championship than he will at Liverpool.

Hopefully my viewpoint on all this turns out to be more pessimistic than the reality, but this entire piece of business seems an awfully big risk—though admittedly one with a big potential reward if everything pans out.

Dan and Tom Go to Liverpool - The Liverpool Offside

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I forgot about that, class goal it was. Cool as you like.

Yep. I don't mean the one that

(in my mind, because Joe Allen is shit and can't pass to an attacking player), of course.

NqyIL4O3VdE

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Where do you see him playing Hank? Out wide?

Right of a front three, I guess. Unless he has some sort of promise to play through the centre. Can't see that myself.

Great some blokes opinion is given credence because it is a blog!

If you listen to most of those fans - they seem to watch other teams football extensively, including the lower leagues, and German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, and French leagues also.

All in depth - all extensively watched.

You left out my problem with the deal: value for money.

I like Sturridge as a player and I was disappointed we didnt sign him in the summer, but 12m pounds is way above market value in Europe, that's the issue. I also like Henderson and even Carroll, but we can't keep paying way over the odds every transfer window like we did with them. Borini was another 6-8m pound player we spunked too much to get, it's bizarre.

I think he's a cracking young player, and he will score quite a few for us. Are we over paying? Yes, but not by much, even if you don't take into account our previous (sorry to say) idiotic dealings.

When we sold Torres I got excited when 40mil plus him was mentioned (not 100% certain on that, but remember reading it somewhere), which woul have valued him at 10mil two years ago.he has stalled a bit, but I think 12mil is still an almost fair reflection of his worth.

Intrinsically he could be worth more due to his age, and his attributes such as speed and selfishness in front of goal (which we lack).

I agree that we did over pay a bit on Borini, but feel we haven't yet seen the best of him. If he turns out good, and the two of them get close to 30 goals between them next season, I can well imagine how chuffed we'd all be.