You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

is my laptop goosed?

It let me boot up again immediately after the first shutdown but that's been it

If you haven't been able to boot again after that even after you have allowed it to cool down then it wont be down to over heating, is it making any beeps.

Guest San Don
It seems to have mysteriously fixed itself over the weekend....said low battery when i turned it on (even though it's 45%ish) and now it's running fine by the looks of it. Very very strange.

Strange! I was on another forum and someone had similar problems. Someone posted this link which suggests a phenomenon called faulty capacitors!

I'd keep an eye on it as it could be on its last legs if this is the cause.

Sorry with the bad news, if it is like.

If your laptop is a Dell, then be careful, and start saving up for a new one. I remember before I got made redundant, that we had a lot of calls from users who were using older Dell PC's, they were pushing 4 years +, some were 7 years +. After opening up the machines, the capacitors on the motherboard had started bulging, so we usually had to replace the machines. I remember some of my senior colleagues stating that Dell had puled a fast one with certain models, using inferior parts, and had some sort of lawsuit in the US against them.

It seems to have mysteriously fixed itself over the weekend....said low battery when i turned it on (even though it's 45%ish) and now it's running fine by the looks of it. Very very strange.

Make sure you have the most up to date BIOS. There was a problem with the whole battery/charging/power stuff for a while. I worked for a company that only bought dell and at one time I would get 2 or 3 back a week with the same issues and same fix.

Mine did this last week and it was because my hard drive had short circuited. It was a work one though, so it was no big deal. I wonder if it was a coincidence that it did this right after i had been caught in a downpour. It was in a bag, but may well have got a little damp.