You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

Thanks all appreciate all the kind words.

Nailed it.

Took it steady and in all honesty i probably eased off a touch too much - but i didn't want to blow up late on in the "unknown miles" so settled into a steady but unspectacular pace that felt ok and was one i could hold consistently.

The downside is after 4 hours of running the old body does not have much of a finishing kick and legs on fire just plodded up the mall...

Loved it - absolutely loved it - crowds were fantastic even on the less glamorous parts.

Finished in 4:19.34

Details below:

Screenshot-20221002-161847-TCS-London-Ma

• Like 1
  • Upvote 14

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Fantastic- great effort. 

Cheers.

Made up with it.....never gonna be fast - but i am proud of my effort today - A hell of a lot of younger people than me behind me and walking! I never walked a second - had a couple of moments where it hurt but gritted teeth and got head down and kept going.

The crowds and atmipshere really do help.

I had the pod off here downloaded and planned on listening to that but swerved it - think it may have stopped me running...!

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, an tha said:

Nailed it.

Took it steady and in all honesty i probably eased off a touch too much - but i didn't want to blow up late on in the "unknown miles" so settled into a steady but unspectacular pace that felt ok and was one i could hold consistently.

The downside is after 4 hours of running the old body does not have much of a finishing kick and legs on fire just plodded up the mall...

Loved it - absolutely loved it - crowds were fantastic even on the less glamorous parts.

Details below:

Good consistent running there. Well done!

45 minutes ago, an tha said:

Cheers.

Made up with it.....never gonna be fast - but i am proud of my effort today - A hell of a lot of younger people than me behind me and walking! I never walked a second - had a couple of moments where it hurt but gritted teeth and got head down and kept going.

The crowds and atmipshere really do help.

I had the pod off here downloaded and planned on listening to that but swerved it - think it may have stopped me running...!

You’d have chucked yourself off Tower Bridge. 

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Nailed it.

Details below:

GF Pb unless anyone else has beaten that!

I thought my record was intact but that was my Edinburgh marathon time.

It’s amazing isn’t it?

Did you cry at any point?

1 hour ago, Champ said:

GF Pb unless anyone else has beaten that!

I thought my record was intact but that was my Edinburgh marathon time.

It’s amazing isn’t it?

Did you cry at any point?

No tears but there was a little lump in throat as crossed line.....loved the whole day.

Thanks for support, champ - it is as you amazing.

Made up to have done it and in a half respectable time, no stopping, no walking.

@Scooby Dudek i entered the ballot for 2023 yesterday - and it is in April - hope i don't get in frankly!

As for walking i can only walk like a crab at the mo!

Gonna have one moan and it is about people and their fucking obsession with their phones/filming/taking selfies etc.

I wrapped my phone in a shit load of bubble wrap and put it in my kit bag at start that goes on a lorry pick up at end.

Like at footy and gigs they for me just see people ruining the experience somewhat - maybe i am just an arl arse and maybe i don't get it but for me they really do ruin so much....people filming/photographing moment instead of living in it.

Todsy loads of people were stopping (some just dead in front of you) to take selfies - running backwards over tower bridge for exple to film selves - i saw a couple do that and then stop and do a selfie together - fella  nearly ran into them.

You had people just cutting dead across you to go and take a selfie with someone in crowd they had spotted...

I get they are excited and when see friends etc they probably don't think, but for me it is shite.

Moan over.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, an tha said:

Amazingly i have been sound today - went to bed aching (mostly calves) but woke up much looser and been fine all day.

Even managed a brisk walk.

Watch me cop for DOMS tomorrow now!

And?

So i have had the whole week off from running - 7 clear days since the marathon without a single run.

Tomorrow sees that change - can't wait to get out there.

Just going to do a 40 min easy run - hopefully everything will be ok - had no problems all week so should be ok - but actually running again is a different ball game, probably going to feel awkward to start with, been a long time since went a week without running!

So been out 3 times this week.

Taking it easy with short runs.

Mon 4.25 miles

Tues 3.11 miles (5k)

Thurs 4 miles

And will run tomorrow too.

Feeling fit and strong - no ill effects from marathon. 8.22 per mile for the 5k on Tues - which is quite quick for me!

9 hours ago, an tha said:

Mon 4.25 miles

Tues 3.11 miles (5k)

Thurs 4 miles

Feeling fit and strong - no ill effects from marathon. 8.22 per mile for the 5k on Tues - which is quite quick for me!

Two-Four weeks post marathon is a great time to go for a PB in a shorter distance, anything from 10km to half. 

You still have all the benefits of the training in your body and you have recovered sufficiently to really go all out for a shorter distance. Ideally enter a race, again crowds, adrenaline help etc.

2 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Two-Four weeks post marathon is a great time to go for a PB in a shorter distance, anything from 10km to half. 

You still have all the benefits of the training in your body and you have recovered sufficiently to really go all out for a shorter distance. Ideally enter a race, again crowds, adrenaline help etc.

Good advice!

13 hours ago, an tha said:

Mon 4.25 miles

Tues 3.11 miles (5k)

Thurs 4 miles

I used to get out Monday, Wednesday and Friday but since we have the grandson until about 5pm on Mondays, changed to Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Obviously not going tomorrow because of the game.

Had to layer up with a Ron Hill running jacket and hat to keep warm as there's been a bit of a chill in the air this week.

24 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I used to get out Monday, Wednesday and Friday but since we have the grandson until about 5pm on Mondays, changed to Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Obviously not going tomorrow because of the game.

Had to layer up with a Ron Hill running jacket and hat to keep warm as there's been a bit of a chill in the air this week.

Good stuff - getting out regularly is good, and keeps you in the groove.

I enjoy running in the colder weather - not so keen on the rain and of course have to be careful with leaves on the deck this time of year!

4 hours ago, an tha said:

I enjoy running in the colder weather - not so keen on the rain and of course have to be careful with leaves on the deck this time of year!

Yeah, I dont mind the wind this time of year so much provided it isnt blowing a hoolie. Rain can be freezing and makes you cold. One reason I bought the Ron Hill shower jacket for running. It wont stop you getting soaked if you're running in the rain for an hour but will slow down the point at which you do.

When the nights draw in, it gets harder to see the dog shit on the pavement as well!

5 hours ago, an tha said:

I nearly crippled myself slipping on a frozen dead mouse a couple of Januaries back...