You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

He has cost us big time this season and you can't escape from the feeling that he is doing a Torres. If he wants to go then we should get rid fast.

If he wants to stay then put him on a summer diet, bring in a proper goalkeeping coach and let him know that he starts pre-season fighting for his place with Doni, who was excellent against Fulham and deserves to have played more games this season.

Much as I love Pepe at the moment the hurt of losing the final, partly because he never makes a save any more, is colouring my judgement and I can't stand the idea that as Johnny H says, his mind is elsewhere.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reina have had a bad season, no doubt about that, but that was the first bad season for us, after some brilliant ones.

If someone deserves another chance it is him. People on this forum have a very short memory.

He's been consistently average even going back the first game of last season against Arsenal when he let in the last minute equalizer. His weakness at near posts are being exploited by every team and I am sick to the back teeth of his Elvis knee movement attempt at saves these days. He's not even in the top six best goalies in the Prem; City, Spurs, Everton, Swansea, Chelsea and even Wigan have better goalies. He won't improve now, time to get rid.

And if people don't agree I don't give a fuck.

He's been consistently average even going back the first game of last season against Arsenal when he let in the last minute equalizer. His weakness at near posts are being exploited by every team and I am sick to the back teeth of his Elvis knee movement attempt at saves these days. He's not even in the top six best goalies in the Prem; City, Spurs, Everton, Swansea, Chelsea and even Wigan have better goalies. He won't improve now, time to get rid.

This is all correct

Couldn't agree more.

Funny how these weaknesses didn't become apparent until Rafa and his staff left.

If he can't be bothered unless his favourite manager is in charge he should probably leave. Or perhaps our defence were more solid back then and helped mask his weaknesses such as controlling his area on set pieces and stopping shots; y'know goalkeeping stuff.

If he can't be bothered unless his favourite manager is in charge he should probably leave.

I'm not talking about a conscious lack of effort, more a much lower standard of coaching. Gerrard has been dire for a good eighteen months now and wouldn't get into any of the top five teams at present. That's not all down to injury or a startling decline.

He has definitely been poor this season. While our strikers must have one of the worst chance conversion ratios, Pepe must also have one of the worst chance/save ratios. It seems like the opposition only ever need one or two chances to score against us, and you have to look at the goalie when that happens. I'm not sure it's time to write him off yet, but I would say that if we got a significant bid in the summer it would be worth considering.

Just a question does anyone think his dip in form over the last 18 months is down to Valero leaving ? how can a goalkeeper who's highest level of playing is Tranmere become a goalkeeping coach at one of the biggest clubs in europe (achtenberg i mean)Pepe's dip kind of coinsides with his arrival.

Pepe is class no doubt about it but he needs more pressure put on him from the bench Doni and Jones aren't going to do that if he did want to leave then so be it, Lloris would be a great replacement doubt he'd come here at the moment the lad at Marseille is a very good keeper also Mandana (or something like that ).If Pepe wants to stay then there's no way i'd sell him.

Just a question does anyone think his dip in form over the last 18 months is down to Valero leaving ? how can a goalkeeper who's highest level of playing is Tranmere become a goalkeeping coach at one of the biggest clubs in europe (achtenberg i mean)Pepe's dip kind of coinsides with his arrival.

Pepe is class no doubt about it but he needs more pressure put on him from the bench Doni and Jones aren't going to do that if he did want to leave then so be it, Lloris would be a great replacement doubt he'd come here at the moment the lad at Marseille is a very good keeper also Mandana (or something like that ).If Pepe wants to stay then there's no way i'd sell him.

How much does a goalkeeper need a goalkeeping coach at his age? I don't think you can put it down to that.

Pepe shouldn't be sold because I know how good a goalkeeper the lags is on his day.

What's clear is his performances have dipped markedly over the past two years as he has admitted himself. Incidentally that has coincided with the removal of Xavi Valero who Pepe clearly had a lot of respect for and trusted greatly. Is it a confidence issue? Valero seemed to give Pepe that. He should be reappointed as goalkeeping coach rather than selling Pepe, on his day he is world class and we should never forget that.

Guest San Don

Seriously, would you need a goalkeeping coach to realise your attempts at stopping near post shots wasnt good enough? Would you need a goalkeeping coach to tell you what you should be doing to stop conceeding those type of goals? Would you need a goalkeeping coach if you were supposed to be world class?

Seriously? No, I dont think Valero has anything to do with his poor form. I've said it a few times, his heart is here but his head isnt.

Pepe said the off field prep work with Valero helped him immensely. He knew what strikers would do, knew their habits and traits, and tailored his goalkeeping to suit opponents. Pepe said Valero also did work with our strikers, informing them of strengths and weaknesses of the goalkeeper we would face.

With that kind of preparation I'm sure Pepe felt confident going in to matches. I would honestly attribute his form down to confidence, and the confidence lost since his mentor Valero departed.

Seriously, would you need a goalkeeping coach to realise your attempts at stopping near post shots wasnt good enough? Would you need a goalkeeping coach to tell you what you should be doing to stop conceeding those type of goals? Would you need a goalkeeping coach if you were supposed to be world class?

Seriously? No, I dont think Valero has anything to do with his poor form. I've said it a few times, his heart is here but his head isnt.

A goalkeeping coach has a massive impact, note how all of our goalies under Corrigan had exactly the same flaws. Friedel's decline especially began and ended with his spell at Liverpool.

Reina hasn't been up to his usual standards but I reckon most of it is mental. I wonder how much of it goes back to when Torres left and his general belief that he's at a club which is going backwards. Either way, I think he's gone this summer.

Im not saying if valero was here he wouldn't have been beaten at his near post,at the end of the day a coach can only do so much once the player is on the pitch its all down to him,But im saying Valero was an excellent coach something Pepe's said himself,maybe its a respect thing could Achtenberg comand the same respect from the Liverpool goalkeepers as Valero did? 3 seasons ago he was playing league1 football at Tranmere now his coaching at Liverpool,He might be a good coach i dont know but Reina's form has dipped alot since he came in,as you said maybe his heads elsewhere if that is the case then Achtenberg (who works with him every day)should notice this and have a word with him maybe thats were the respect comes into it.

Blimey. How many wanting Pepe gone would have wanted Grobbelaar to be thrown aside after a few bad matches?

How many wanted Dudek to be thrown aside?

Yet these ones probably wanted James to be kept on for the rest of his career.

Good job these folks are not football managers

I've said for pretty much all of the season that Reina doesn't look the keeper he did a season or two ago. He just looks so dodgy. He drops almost everything that comes at him and has to jump on top of the ball to make sure no-one gets it, or he just seems to be out of position a lot.

I still can't get my head around how he got beat at his near post yesterday. I know he was thinking Ramires was going to go across goal, and I'm sure it's hard to change direction that quick, but he still should of had it covered.

Again, a few shots come his way/crosses and he was struggling to catch the ball. I don't know if having a different goalkeeping coach has anything to do with it or not, but it's not the same Reina who was with us a year or two ago.

Whether on not Valero would improve Reina, why can't Reina do his own fucking homework on attackers preferences for near post etc? He's on 100k per week and stands motionless for 89 minutes apart from picking the ball out the net (far too many times) and kicking the ball await in mock anger.

To be honest, it's not just Reinas catching or being beat at his near post that's the problem, it's also how he doesn't come flying out when someone is one on one with him. He will stand up with his legs wide open for them to slot the ball through them or just go around him as he doesn't fly at their feet. The amount of times that's happened this season is ridiculous.

Pepe's character is not in question nor his potential to be one of the best keepers in the world again. We stick with him and we look for ways to help him.

Being pragmatic he still stays because sticking with him for another year is less risky than bringing in someone new.