You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

I liked the look of Pobgrebnyak for Fulham on Sunday. Big, powerful, knows where the net is. Why can't we be so astute in the transfer / loan market as a club like Fulham. What does Comolli do with his time? Contrast his 5 goals in three PL games with Carrolls return.

Thought that myself about the big Russian fella. Cracking return so far and if you look at the goals he's scored there's a bit of everything there. Heading, beating the offside trap, poaching and some quality finishing.

Everything we lack

Thought that myself about the big Russian fella. Cracking return so far and if you look at the goals he's scored there's a bit of everything there. Heading, beating the offside trap, poaching and some quality finishing.

Everything we lack

And a physical presence that Carroll despite his size has rarely shown so far. How much will his loan cost Fulham? 20k a week for 6 months. Would have been well worth the punt for a team that has scored 30 in 26.

When I've seen Stevie play of late he's been much deeper, and that's if he's playing at all with recent fitness issues. Suarez, is a great player, but I don't think he's blessed with searing pace, neither is he the fox in the box. We are man for man arguably one of the slowest teams in the league by my reckoning. I would say Bellamy, well into his 30s and only fit for a game a week is our fastest.

81 goals in 110 for Ajax, yup he's not a fox in the box type of player. And yup he's not pacy either.

You must be a wise man.

81 goals in 110 for Ajax, yup he's not a fox in the box type of player. And yup he's not pacy either.

You must be a wise man.

his finishing is fucking shite as is the Dutch League's defences

if he could finish he'd be in the top 3 players in the world

You must be a wise man.

Steady on fella. Not dissing Suarez just don't think he's shit of a shovel and 10 in 34 is hardly prolific. Even Dirk got 70 in 100 in Eredivisie. Love Suarez to bits, but he's the type of player who creates chances for himself rather than 6 yard tap ins from what I've seen to date. Easy now.

his finishing is fucking shite as is the Dutch League's defences

if he could finish he'd be in the top 3 players in the world

Yup Pele doesn't need to play in the Premierleague to be one of the deadliest striker in world football. In fact Spanish league which is considered the best league in the world also has shit defences.

Suarez was a clinical finisher in Ajax because he has the team to feed him the ball. All he did was to score unlike here he has to do all the work up front alone and score at the same time. Thus the goals dried up.

His record for his NT is also good. He is now one of the top striker in the world. If you can't see it then you're an idiot. We just need to utilize him properly with good players behind him.

It's abit strange regarding Suarez goalscoring form for us. Obviously he was never going to score as many as in Holland. But look at his return for Uruguay aswell, it's brilliant. 25 in 50 or something like that. And you actually have to say he's been quite unlucky infront of goal for us aswell. If im not mistaken, he himself has hit the wookwork more than any other team in the premiership in total, i know that was the case earlier in the season at least, and he's been kept out by some amazing saves too. I reckon with two more quality attacking players both him and the team will start to score a shitload more goals.

For people that are suggesting Pobgrebnyak

You are aware he scored like once in 18 games before his loan spell, that being a penalty

Yeah, I'm sure we would have been delighted with that loan signing. Hindsight is a beautiful thing

A chance taken, at relatively modest cost, that appears to have paid off thus far. That's the point.

Yup Pele doesn't need to play in the Premierleague to be one of the deadliest striker in world football. In fact Spanish league which is considered the best league in the world also has shit defences.

Suarez was a clinical finisher in Ajax because he has the team to feed him the ball. All he did was to score unlike here he has to do all the work up front alone and score at the same time. Thus the goals dried up.

His record for his NT is also good. He is now one of the top striker in the world. If you can't see it then you're an idiot. We just need to utilize him properly with good players behind him.

he is one of the worlds top footballers but nowhere near one of the worlds top finishers, he has missed some absolute sitters this season

Love the fact some mong from Russia gets a few and people start moaning why we didnt get him

Had we signed him people would of moaned about his 1 in 18 return

Even more amusing a fucking idiot coming in a transfer thread on a discussion forum moaning about people discussing a striker and how well he has done.

It was always going to happen since that Russian fella started scoring. People were always going to look and say "Why couldn't we have taken a punt on someone in January on loan".

Thing is theres an element of truth in that. It may have worked, it may not. But better to roll the dice I reckon then keep trundling on as we have missing chance after chance and a loan would hardly have bankrupted us.

Whatever the case I think everyone can agree our transfers have to get better. This summer we have to get it spot on. If we do we can definitely have a good season next year. But if we balls up I think we'll see a lot of the same as we have this year.

Basically a relatively solid team who lack any cutting edge.

Guest the boy
Yet again, hindsight

Commoli is paid vast amounts of money to think outside the box. He is not paid to perform a scouting job which somebody with a basic grasp of Football Manager would be capable of. The quality of the squad we have assembled (9 players coming into the club) relative to the sums we have paid out is absolutely unacceptable. So naturally, when a striker comes into the league at minimal financial risk to a team with resources far inferior to our own, and hits the ground running, eyebrows will be raised. His remit is to ensure quality players are at the manager's disposal. For his and the club's sake I hope he picks his game up in the summer, as so far he has fallen dreadfully short. Given his previous record at Tottenham, I have little confidence.

I just have to comment to all the negative and pessimistic views some of the people have on here. I'd say that every liverpool supporter agrees that we should be higher on the table, that we should be scoring more goals, that some of the money we have spent on transfers should have been spent better, and that the ambition is top of the league and playing in the CL. But people will have to be patient in reaching our goals. I would love nothing more if we nicked 4th and had CL next season, but if that doesn't happen it's not the end of the world.

Man City had a net spend of:

07/08: 39 million

08/09: 117 million

09/10: 99 million

10/11: 126 million

At the end of the 10/11 season, they finally reached a top 4 finish. They spent that amount over 4 years to reach the CL, we are not even close to that amount of time nor money.

We have had a overhaul of the squad in the last year, and we are looking extremely solid to be honest. We have been the better team in matches when playing against all the top sides in the league(not all the matches). Were we fail as a team is in finishing matches, and quality in the final 3rd. If we can bring in a couple of quality attacking players, i'm extremely optimistic for the future.

I understand that people are impatient, and that people people want success right now, but that is extremely hard to do. Man Utd have the same manager that has been building teams for years, Arsenal also have that consistency in their manager(with less money), Man City have spent huge amounts of money to get were they are, Chelsea have also spent a lot of money over several years but have no consistency in managers, and Spurs have been building their side for years adding good players brick by brick. We have the foundation in our team now, no crap players on big wages, we just need to add that lacking quality up front. That can be done this summer, but our signings will have to be spot on!

he is one of the worlds top footballers but nowhere near one of the worlds top finishers, he has missed some absolute sitters this season

When you have someone in the right position to score and he missed it that means he is doing half right thing. He is a finisher before he join us and to make him be what he used to be we have to have the team supplying him the ball instead of making him make his own chances.

Commoli is paid vast amounts of money to think outside the box. He is not paid to perform a scouting job which somebody with a basic grasp of Football Manager would be capable of. The quality of the squad we have assembled (9 players coming into the club) relative to the sums we have paid out is absolutely unacceptable. So naturally, when a striker comes into the league at minimal financial risk to a team with resources far inferior to our own, and hits the ground running, eyebrows will be raised. His remit is to ensure quality players are at the manager's disposal. For his and the club's sake I hope he picks his game up in the summer, as so far he has fallen dreadfully short. Given his previous record at Tottenham, I have little confidence.

Harsh, but ultimately spot on, in my opinion.