You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

life Wins

Ginny

Coaching my eleven year old lad's football team and it was the first game of the play offs yesterday. Tense affair at 4-4 with time running out. Anyhow, young Master Richards stepped up from the midfield to help the strikers, tackled a defender and then turned towards their goal and smacked it into the top corner from 25 yards. The crowd* erupted and he was mobbed by his whole team. A lovely little life win for lad and dad.

* When I say crowd it's not millions of people. One side of the pitch is for the teams. The other side of the pitch is for the fans, and that's usually made up of parents and relatives of the players, plus a few other friends here and there. Even so, it's nice to play in front of 100 people or so, and feel the excitement when you do something like Master Richards did yesterday. It's giving us a dilemma though, as they want him to play travel soccer, but it's expensive and it sort of takes over your whole life as they travel quite far for such a young age.

Not a lot of things better than watching your kids do well in something. I absolutely love taking my 8 year old to his football matches, despite the odd cretin on the sidelines.

If he enjoys it and wants to do it Rev why would you stop him?

Budget (money could probably be found, but travel sports for kids over here usually cost a pretty penny). But that's not the only thing. The other side of it is the schedule, as you could be playing games several hours away, so it sort of takes over your life a bit to take them there and back and watch and so on, and in my line of work, one of the weekend days is usually wiped out before we begin. We're looking at the options. I don't want to make it sound like he's the next Messi or something, but he does OK, and we're trying to find him a next step.

We went to a high school game last night as one of the 'big lads' at our church was playing, and it went to a penalty shoot out. When three of them missed/had it saved, he asked me, "Dad, why aren't they sticking it in the corner?"

Just lost 4-2 in the QF. Young Master Richards gutted and has been crying. Trying to cheer him up. Some silly mistakes, plus a penalty conceded for handball, and then some wastefulness in front of goal (hit bar twice) meant we couldn’t get it done.

Important lesson for the life win page as it happens, which is this:

Some days you don’t win.

• Upvote 1

As security at work we also do the mail. The guy that normally does it is off so i am doing overtime on his shift today. Well the first mail has turned up. 4 specials and 2 letters (one not for us). As the second mail will get delivered tomorrow and i am off i dont give a shit.

Great start to the day as im done until after 9 and maybe a hours work before lunch

Did something similar a few years ago, found out later that my boss got £5k worth of shares as a reward despite doing the square root of fuck all.

I've got to present the savings to the board today so hopefully I'll see something more than a bottle of wine. Maybe some cheese to go with it.

I think I've got a bit of grit in my eye.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tannah-butterfield-adoption-video_us_59ddb443e4b0b26332e7d51b?section=us_us-news

This is what “pure joy” looks like.

Security cameras at a South Jordan, Utah school captured the life-changing moment when 11-year-old Tannah Butterfield learned she was going to be adopted. The footage shows Tannah spontaneously jumping into the arms of the school’s office manager Jackie Alexander, who received the good news from the girl’s foster mom.

“All that excitement, joy and happiness that you see in Tannah went right through to me. We could not quit embracing. She just held me tight. It was pure joy at its finest,” Alexander told ABC News this week. 

Alexander, who shared the video on social media on October 3, said Tannah’s foster mom, Jennifer Fisher, called to say that the courts had “finally” approved the adoption of their three foster children, Tannah, 6-year-old Teagun and 2-year-old Tallie. 

Since Tannah was in school at the time, Fisher asked Alexander to tell her.

“[Tannah’s mom] knew she would want to know right away because she had been so worried,” Alexander wrote on Instagram.

Alexander told radio station 1010 WINS that she was thrilled to be asked by the family to be part of such a special moment.

I was overjoyed and humbled,” Alexander said. “It’s not something I get to do every day.”

The Fishers, who also have two biological children, 13-year-old Aiden and 10-year-old Macy, told ABC News that they hope the adoption process for their foster kids will be finalized next month.

“We just loved them so much,” Jennifer Fisher said.

• Upvote 3

Work paid me an extra £500 last month in replacement of dropping some work benefits I never used anyway. They then forgot to put it in my pay packet due to an admin error and the MD looked into it personally. He called me into his office and said my wage was too low so increased it by £4k. They've decided to backdate the payrise to April so that's another £2k in the pay packet this month.

Still waiting for something other than a bottle of wine for the big saving I mentioned earlier though.

• Upvote 4

I can’t match that but this week I won the work’s draw after entering for the first time and then this afternoon I decided to do a comparison check before renewing our home insurance.

And guess what, the cheapest quote that came up was with our current insurers. Only it was £550 less than they wanted me to renew! Am I glad I didn’t just leave it to renew itself.

How can they do that though???

• Upvote 1

I can’t match that but this week I won the work’s draw after entering for the first time and then this afternoon I decided to do a comparison check before renewing our home insurance.

And guess what, the cheapest quote that came up was with our current insurers. Only it was £550 less than they wanted me to renew! Am I glad I didn’t just leave it to renew itself.

How can they do that though???

They can charge what they want and you are free to go elsewhere. I really don’t get the idea companies owe you something.

They can charge what they want and you are free to go elsewhere. I really don’t get the idea companies owe you something.

They wanted to charge me £770 and when I queried it the renewal fell to £201 and you don’t see anything wrong with it? Really?

• Upvote 4

They wanted to charge me £770 and when I queried it the renewal fell to £201 and you don’t see anything wrong with it? Really?

I think it's more the wording. They CAN do that, as they're providing you with the new figure ahead of time. They don't owe you anything. But it's a cunts trick as a lot of people trust that it's a fair enough figure and go ahead with it.

I think it's more the wording. They CAN do that, as they're providing you with the new figure ahead of time. They don't owe you anything. But it's a cunts trick as a lot of people trust that it's a fair enough figure and go ahead with it.

Yes, that’s exactly what I meant.

Lots of money in business is skewed towards customer retention. If you ask, you get. If you comparison shop, you get. If you let things renew, they count on that and the prices go up and up.

It’s a pain in the neck, but each year we have a little round of comparison shopping on a few things - cable, internet, insurance, etc. and we do it just to keep them honest.

• 4 weeks later...