You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

life Wins

Ginny

Had the same thing today from somebody called Utilita. Tosspot trying to tell us we had to change our meter and wanted to arrange a date to do it! 'You are one of only a few in this area who haven't got one' he says and I kindly told him I dont care about other people and I will do some research first.

So according to you rico its about meeting targets then is it?

It's a government mandated programme. Suppliers have until the end of 2020 to have changed the all existing meters (although the central system that will run them isn't finished yet).

From a customer perspective we see about a 5% reduction in consumption as people become more aware of what they are using, though we don't know if that will be long term. You'll also never have an estimated bill, you'll be able to choose from a wider range of tariffs such as our free elec on Sat or Sunday and if you want to leave your supplier it could take hours rather than a month.

I'd wait for a few months if I were you until the latest generation of meters are available. By early next year you should be ok.

It's a government mandated programme. Suppliers have until the end of 2020 to have changed the all existing meters (although the central system that will run them isn't finished yet).

From a customer perspective we see about a 5% reduction in consumption as people become more aware of what they are using, though we don't know if that will be long term. You'll also never have an estimated bill, you'll be able to choose from a wider range of tariffs such as our free elec on Sat or Sunday and if you want to leave your supplier it could take hours rather than a month.

I'd wait for a few months if I were you until the latest generation of meters are available. By early next year you should be ok.

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah,if the central system is not ready it would be stupid to jump into a scheme that doesnt yet work. I guess there will be a few teething problems also.

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah,if the central system is not ready it would be stupid to jump into a scheme that doesnt yet work. I guess there will be a few teething problems also.

Suppliers currently have their own systems but they are a lite version. Oh yes, it's going to be 'fun' getting it working.

No estimated bills, more tariffs, real time view of consumption, quicker switching.

I miss the rebate in cash when the meter was emptied, sitting there watching a pile of coins being counted by the guy emptying the meter and then he would slide a small pile of coins over to one side, that was our rebate. We ate well that night. 

• Upvote 3

Chatting with my 5 year old niece on the weekend and she was telling me about her first school sports day.

Now, I'd never heard of a school having an obstacle race but okay.

Sophie: I'd finished the running first, I was second after the egg and spoon and then first after i did the sack race, but when we had to crawl under this like huge net my friend got stuck. So I went back to help her and we finished last together.

• Upvote 1

She has no hope sadly.

I'd never have stopped to help someone in a race. More likely trambled them while in the second lap

I had a tear in my eye when she was telling me, then looked at my brother and we both just looked at each other as if to say, 'You can tell she takes after her mother. Thank fuck'.

Guest Pistonbroke

Chatting with my 5 year old niece on the weekend and she was telling me about her first school sports day.

Sophie: I'd finished the running first, I was second after the egg and spoon and then first after i did the sack race, but when we had to crawl under this like huge net my friend got stuck. So I went back to help her and we finished last together.

Another labour voter in the making. 

I thought obstacle races were a compulsory part of primary school sports days

I thought obstacle races were a compulsory part of primary school sports days

They've modernised them to spending 24 hours sleeping rough before attending a job interview at McDonalds and then racing to the job centre to try to claim benefits. The winner is the person who is actually granted a claim. The race now takes 6 months instead of 60 seconds!

• 1 month later...

We moved house last year and I forgot to change the life insurance and critical illness cover until just recently. Despite currently being in long term remission, I suffer from Ulcerative Colitis and was expecting our policy to raise significantly as the new house was a fair jump up in value. Nope. It's gone down from £40 to £11 a month and no further questions on my health. I was completely honest about my condition and there's no hidden clauses.

£300+ a year better off and not pooing blood. Life win!

• Upvote 4

Was booking my holiday yesterday. The woman who place im renting was late replying about wether the condo was available. So she emails today and says yes,booked went online to try and get the flights i had found £525pp return to Pensacola Florida went online today through skyscanner again and have exactly the same flight through exactly the same agents and they have come out at £425pp. Results

10 days in Florida less than £800 each,right on the beach too

The email said i need additional photo ID to my Passport anyone had this before. I do not have a drivers license so will have to figure something out though i do have a SIA card for work so hopefully that covers it.

Anyone know anything about Visa's for the US.

Or where i can get a Trump hat to make sure i get in

• Upvote 1

Was booking my holiday yesterday. The woman who place im renting was late replying about wether the condo was available. So she emails today and says yes,booked went online to try and get the flights i had found £525pp return to Pensacola Florida went online today through skyscanner again and have exactly the same flight through exactly the same agents and they have come out at £425pp. Results

The email said i need additional photo ID to my Passport anyone had this before. I do not have a drivers license so will have to figure something out though i do have a SIA card for work so hopefully that covers it.

Don't need a visa for a holiday, just fill in the ESTA application online and pay a few quid for the privilege.

• Upvote 1

We moved house last year and I forgot to change the life insurance and critical illness cover until just recently. Despite currently being in long term remission, I suffer from Ulcerative Colitis and was expecting our policy to raise significantly as the new house was a fair jump up in value. Nope. It's gone down from £40 to £11 a month and no further questions on my health. I was completely honest about my condition and there's no hidden clauses.

£300+ a year better off and not pooing blood. Life win!

Aren’t they making inroads with colitis via faecal transplants these days?

Aren’t they making inroads with colitis via faecal transplants these days?

Yeah, there are new developments all the time. I've discussed the decal transplants with my consultant and whilst there are promising trials, it isn't an approved NHS treatment yet. People think the idea is gross but I'd do it immediately if it cures me.

4 years ago I was facing having to have my large intestine removed. Medication wasnt working, I was over reliant on steroids, I'd had consultations with a surgeon and was on the verge of it being booked. I wasn't thrilled at the prospect but it was a case of anything being better than the position I was in. Just at that point, a new biological medication became available which I was able to give a trial. Since then I've changed treatments twice as new ones become available, all of which have culminated in me being in full remission for the first time. I'm constantly amazed at the persistence and innovation in finding new ways to treat disease.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, there are new developments all the time. I've discussed the decal transplants with my consultant and whilst there are promising trials, it isn't an approved NHS treatment yet. People think the idea is gross but I'd do it immediately if it cures me.

4 years ago I was facing having to have my large intestine removed. Medication wasnt working, I was over reliant on steroids, I'd had consultations with a surgeon and was on the verge of it being booked. I wasn't thrilled at the prospect but it was a case of anything being better than the position I was in. Just at that point, a new biological medication became available which I was able to give a trial. Since then I've changed treatments twice as new ones become available, all of which have culminated in me being in full remission for the first time. I'm constantly amazed at the persistence and innovation in finding new ways to treat disease.

. Good stuff, SiL had to have major surgery, ended up with colostomy, now has another 2 big ops to try and reverse a couple of years later. Fucker of a situation with young kids and all.

For your ID you can get a provisional driving licence, costs about £25
  • Upvote 2

Nice to hear you are doing well on new meds,its encouraging. I was diagnosed with the non bleeding type(microscopic) back in the early 90s and its apparently morphed into IBS,which is almost impossible to get decent treatment for on the nhs in Britain. Those faecal transplants are being spoken about as possibilities for all digestive problems too. We eat shit when we marry so its no big deal!

Coaching my eleven year old lad's football team and it was the first game of the play offs yesterday. Tense affair at 4-4 with time running out. Anyhow, young Master Richards stepped up from the midfield to help the strikers, tackled a defender and then turned towards their goal and smacked it into the top corner from 25 yards. The crowd* erupted and he was mobbed by his whole team. A lovely little life win for lad and dad. 

* When I say crowd it's not millions of people. One side of the pitch is for the teams. The other side of the pitch is for the fans, and that's usually made up of parents and relatives of the players, plus a few other friends here and there. Even so, it's nice to play in front of 100 people or so, and feel the excitement when you do something like Master Richards did yesterday. It's giving us a dilemma though, as they want him to play travel soccer, but it's expensive and it sort of takes over your whole life as they travel quite far for such a young age.  

• Upvote 3